Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #5,222 of 8,191
i heard there is only 500 unit at all. If you want one better act fast.

Personally I don’t think it’s good enough for desktop audio performance

Ah, unfortunately I am in the US so I don't think it is available here yet.

Interesting comment on desktop performance. Could you mention some of the desktop DACs you compared it to, and with which IEMs?

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #5,223 of 8,191
Ah, unfortunately I am in the US so I don't think it is available here yet.

Interesting comment on desktop performance. Could you mention some of the desktop DACs you compared it to, and with which IEMs?

i know it haven't reach us market yet, just saying if you want one you better preorder it from your dealer. Cause the limited stocks.

As for performance, I was expecting a02 to have a significant better sound quality compared to any other soundcard of n6ii. But unfortunately it’s not there yet.

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #5,224 of 8,191
just tried a02 ‘s lineout with a balanced portable amp, compare to e02 lo. there is significant soundstage improvement especially the frontal depth. imagining is slightly better as well. Vocals are pushed back by at least 30%.

Other than that the quality difference between e02 and a02 is not that much.

i heard there is only 500 unit at all. If you want one better act fast.

Personally I don’t think it’s good enough for desktop audio performance

Thank you very much for your A02 impression, this certainly will help those who are interested in this Audio Motherboard.

Hope we didn't confused our customers, the A02 is designed to expand the functions of N6ii by converting it into an audio source of desktop and home audio applications, we don't mean to position it as a replacement of the source in your home system. Its about expansion, not replacement. N6ii users can now add these functions to their DAP at the cost of an Audio Motherboard, we are not completely sure that N6ii +A02 will beat a desktop streamer + DAC + preamp 3-in-one at the same price. Your impression actually explained our product positioning. :beerchug:

202010130226072276.jpg
202010130226106212.jpg
202010130226122278.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #5,225 of 8,191
I'll take a week off and away for a short trip, I didn't take any dayoff during the National Anniversary holiday so its my turn now, in case anyone need urgent support, you can PM @CayinSupport or email service@cayin.cn for warranty and repair related issues.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #5,226 of 8,191
Because you said your E02 is extremely hot, so the logical guess is one or few components are over-heated, and the chance of discrete component overheat is slightly higher then Op-Amp, so I guess it can be one of the discrete components operated beyond the regulated condition

IF the IEM cable is shorted, it can lead to overheated or short circuit.,

update:
upon assesment and checking at distributor, there is no faulty components or damaged circuit found on E02, and i've since repaired my cable and yes the soldering on the 4.4m came off, and after testing for 4hr nonstop yesterday, i can safely say there is no overheating happened and battery drain was normal although for 4hr non stop usage with bluetooth and wifi off they dropped from 95% to 25% playing spoitfy and lossless music

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #5,227 of 8,191
I'll take a week off and away for a short trip, I didn't take any dayoff during the National Anniversary holiday so its my turn now, in case anyone need urgent support, you can PM @CayinSupport or email service@cayin.cn for warranty and repair related issues.

Have a great break! And thanks for all the work that you do in supporting us on here.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #5,228 of 8,191
Sunday, good time to post here ... despite the current 2nd and big wave of Corona building up here in Europe (Germany in my case). Stay healthy, everybody!

This is a little heads-up on using an SD card with Qobuz, in particular for importing music in order to listen to offline.

I had formatted my new Samsung Extreme Pro microSDXC 1 TB as FAT32, directly on the N6ii‘s Android 8.1. This formatting is non-default, i.e. it got shipped with exFAT, and Windows would only put an exFAT onto it. I had decided to use FAT32 as a precautionary measure due to
Your 400GB Ultra should work, but if you encountered any problem such as skip tracks, you might need to format it into FAT32. We have received several reports saying that those faster card (160MB/s or above) in exFAT playing back Hi-Res file might causing problem occasionally, we suspect this is related to buffering speed of our DAP but we can't replicate the problem repeatedly.

I use Qobuz for streaming, and I wanted to import a couple of albums for offline listening. Qobuz stores such files in a format known from YouTube, .exo files (Google), where each track is stored in chunks of 2 MB files, encrypted. All such files are placed in one directory by the Qobuz app. Depending on audio resolution, the number of chunk files is much larger than the number of tracks, easily 10 to 100-fold or more.

I had read up on the limitations of FAT32 beforehand, but this didn‘t prepare me for what happened in Qobuz. When my imports crossed the 32 GB mark, i.e. more than 16,384 files, things went bananas: Import downloads failed, the imported music couldn‘t be looked at, even the entire Qobuz app would crash at some point. Actually, I have not seen any limitation on the number of files per subdirectory like this small number, but maybe I‘m mistaken.

So I went back to the default and formatted the SD card as exFAT using Windows. I made double-sure to check the limit on files per subdirectory. Starting my imports all over again - all file system issues are cured. I am at some 36 GB now, more than 18,000 chunk files in that particular directory on SD; these are just 30 or so albums.

Thus, if you plan on doing such a - maybe silly - thing in Qobuz as I do, import quite some albums for local storage, be advised to use exFAT formatting for your SD card. Nota bene: No experience on my side available yet on the issue talked about by Andykong in the quote above.

Furthermore: Why this ”maybe silly“ remark? I notice that it takes an awfully long time to read this particular import directory after booting the N6ii, either in the Android file manager or in Qobuz. And I am not even at 10% of the albums I wanted to import in Qobuz... Does anybody with more Android knowledge than me know how the SD card and this particular import directory gets read right away when switching the N6ii on? What I am doing right now is navigate to this directory in file manager, and ask it to display the properties, then wait...

But then, maybe I need to get more used to the fact that a DAP just is not a computer, and not even a state-of-the-art phone (like my iPhone X) regarding IT capabilities ...:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #5,229 of 8,191
Issue with UAPP on cayin n6ii E02. On dsf and dsd files, as I skip the track or pause, no matter via software/hardware buttons, I detect high-pitched sound, as the "buffering" status is displayed.

The duration of this "white noise" sound is equal to duration of "buffering" status displayed.

Other formats work fine. Dsf on hiby and cayin players play fine as well. Couple of months ago had other cayin n6ii E02 - nothing of the kind, dsf played without issues.

Various values for buffer size tried - no effect. What could be wrong here?

Upd: also noticed, that in cayin and hiby app during the playback of dsd/dsf EQ and MSEB doesn't make any effect (turn on, but sound remains unchanged). Maybe it is somehow connected with UAPP issue?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #5,230 of 8,191
Issue with UAPP on cayin n6ii E02. On dsf and dsd files, as I skip the track or pause, no matter via software/hardware buttons, I detect high-pitched sound, as the "buffering" status is displayed.

The duration of this "white noise" sound is equal to duration of "buffering" status displayed.

Other formats work fine. Dsf on hiby and cayin players play fine as well. Couple of months ago had other cayin n6ii E02 - nothing of the kind, dsf played without issues.

Various values for buffer size tried - no effect. What could be wrong here?

Upd: also noticed, that in cayin and hiby app during the playback of dsd/dsf EQ and MSEB doesn't make any effect (turn on, but sound remains unchanged). Maybe it is somehow connected with UAPP issue?
Dsd files cannot be EQed, unless you transform it to PCM.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #5,233 of 8,191
Yep same here with UAPP playing under E02. high pitched noise with DSD/DSF files.

Which version do you use?

Problem eliminated as I installed the previous trial versions of UAPP (5.7.3; 5.7.5). As soon as I upgrade to actual full version from Google Play (5.8.1) the problem reappears.

Obviously, there is a bug in current version. Still waiting for feedback/solution from UAPP technical service.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #5,234 of 8,191

Problem eliminated as I installed the previous trial versions of UAPP (5.7.3; 5.7.5). As soon as I upgrade to actual full version from Google Play (5.8.1) the problem reappears.

Obviously, there is a bug in current version. Still waiting for feedback/solution from UAPP technical service.
You are correct. It was 5.8.1

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #5,235 of 8,191

Is UAPP converting DSD files to PCM during playback or play it in native mode as Cayin App ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back