Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #5,163 of 8,196
fixed issue, apparently the device updates only 1 software update at a time, so when i thought it got to the latest update, it infact, did not. :p

Great. Does it show AB now?

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #5,165 of 8,196
fixed issue, apparently the device updates only 1 software update at a time, so when i thought it got to the latest update, it infact, did not.

Same here. I did a "refresh" and realize I needed to "catch up" on the other updates too.

Often, for any software update, I would just run another "update" just to ensure I'm at the latest where I want to be.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #5,166 of 8,196
Update on the infamous ”skipping issue“:

I installed the UAPP app as another test. While installing, it discovered my T01 module; and I left every setting on default.

Tried my ”skipping test track“ (CD 1 track 2 of Jacques Loussier Trio ”Play Bach aux Champs Élysées“, as 16/44.1 CD rip FLAC on my SanDisk Extreme Pro Micro SD 1 TB with exFAT formatting), listening to the T01 module via IEM; firmware 1.22EN. I simply hit ”Play“ on it from the list of tracks in this album just after launching UAPP. And boom - there is the obnoxious skipping, too!

”Skipping“ means the first piano chord which is being struck right after time mark 0:00 gets discarded: Sound is being produced instantaneously when hitting Play, but it jumps about half a second into the track. So this first piano chord is discarded, it is not muted or being replaced with silence. I would like to remark that my case of skipping is a very simple one, just starting a track from stopped state. Nothing complicated like changing sample rate from one track to the next while doing gapless playback, as others had reported on. And no MQA at all, firmware 1.22EN.

I had hoped an independent player with - hopefully - its own hardware driver might not exhibit skipping. But the skipping remains.

EDIT: As of now, I observe the skipping with all apps I have: Cayin and HiBy music apps as well as UAPP, playing FLAC files stored on the SD card; and the Qobuz app, playing imported albums from the SD card. I don‘t have Tidal. All playing to T01 with IEMs. NOT tested as of now: Qobuz streaming from the web; and - maybe an important test - looking at the N6ii digital outputs feeding an outboard DAC.

I figured UAPP to be a ”minimally invasive“ test for skipping. I repeat my question: Can I install an older firmware over a newer one without any danger? That would be quite invasive; the rationale is that reports on skipping showed up only recently, in particular after release of the E02, but skipping is not limited to the E02. A firmware regression introduced while taking account of the E02 is a hypothesis to be checked into by our friendly Cayin engineers.

Another hypothesis of mine: @Andykong had provided advice to format the modern fast SD cards as FAT32 instead of exFAT, since buffering problems had allegedly been seen as those cards being too fast. My SD is 170 MB/s read speed, and it is exFAT. I will re-format it as one of my next steps, but losing everything is a bit of a pain... Any comments on this card speed thing?

So sad!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #5,167 of 8,196
Next update on the ”skipping issue“:

A positive one now! I ran the embedded S/PDIF digital output from the N6ii USB-C into my Chord Hugo 2 DAC using the special Cayin cable, and listened to the Hugo 2 headphone out. Same test material as in my previous post.

NO skipping observed! Using all four player apps on the N6ii, same firmware 1.22EN, same T01 (should be irrelevant now, I think). None of the skipping which discards the first piano chord when listening through the T01; just a minuscule delay between hitting Play and sound coming out, which may be due to the digital chain involved here.

Several more tests can be envisaged: (1) Use the USB-C digital stream to feed the USB input of the Hugo 2, but I don‘t have the appropriate C to Micro-B cable. (2) Use the N6ii as a USB-DAC, being fed from my laptop via USB. (3) Use a FAT32 formatted SD card instead of the current exFAT one.

So this should help our friendly Cayin engineers and @Andykong to narrow down on the skipping issue. I know the Chinese are celebrating Golden Week from Oct 1 on.

Finally, a wild speculation which might be inappropriate: I sincerely hope Cayin will be able to fix the issue via firmware. In other words, I hope our Cayin N6ii modules are not trash - sorry for these words.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #5,168 of 8,196
Next update on the ”skipping issue“:

A positive one now! I ran the embedded S/PDIF digital output from the N6ii USB-C into my Chord Hugo 2 DAC using the special Cayin cable, and listened to the Hugo 2 headphone out. Same test material as in my previous post.

NO skipping observed! Using all four player apps on the N6ii, same firmware 1.22EN, same T01 (should be irrelevant now, I think). None of the skipping which discards the first piano chord when listening through the T01; just a minuscule delay between hitting Play and sound coming out, which may be due to the digital chain involved here.

Several more tests can be envisaged: (1) Use the USB-C digital stream to feed the USB input of the Hugo 2, but I don‘t have the appropriate C to Micro-B cable. (2) Use the N6ii as a USB-DAC, being fed from my laptop via USB. (3) Use a FAT32 formatted SD card instead of the current exFAT one.

So this should help our friendly Cayin engineers and @Andykong to narrow down on the skipping issue. I know the Chinese are celebrating Golden Week from Oct 1 on.

Finally, a wild speculation which might be inappropriate: I sincerely hope Cayin will be able to fix the issue via firmware. In other words, I hope our Cayin N6ii modules are not trash - sorry for these words.

I'm pretty curious on how does the E02 board sounds compared to the hugo 2, I'm actually considering getting a hugo 2. Thanks in advanced.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #5,169 of 8,196
Wrt the ”skipping issue“:

If I start from the hypothesis that a regression slipped into the firmware, probably when E02 was to be released, then I would like to install an older FW (e.g. 1.18EN) over a newer one (mine currently is 1.22EN).

Has anybody done such an action? Any dangers??? For example, my HP laptops raise a big red sign that one cannot flash an older BIOS without bricking the machine. @CayinSupport, @Andykong, your comments? I know about Golden Week...

Additionally, I should like to know where the pre-installed Cayin and HiBy Music apps come from, and how they get updated. I figure they are not coming from Google Play Store? Are they included in the 800 MB of the firmware downloadable zip file?

Anyway, what is in these 800 MB - the entire Android plus special software and hardware drivers? (Sorry, pretty much a noob to Android, more of a Linux guy... Oh well, when I consider that huge 800 MB size of zip with the firmware, I am pretty pessimistic that an FW downgrade as I would like to intend will actually work...)

Thanks in advance for feedback and warnings or pos/neg experiences.

EDIT: Guess it is a pretty stupid noob idea ... Maybe I am mistaken by the word ”firmware“?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #5,170 of 8,196
Wrt the ”skipping issue“:

If I start from the hypothesis that a regression slipped into the firmware, probably when E02 was to be released, then I would like to install an older FW (e.g. 1.18EN) over a newer one (mine currently is 1.22EN).

Has anybody done such an action? Any dangers??? For example, my HP laptops raise a big red sign that one cannot flash an older BIOS without bricking the machine. @CayinSupport, @Andykong, your comments? I know about Golden Week...

Additionally, I should like to know where the pre-installed Cayin and HiBy Music apps come from, and how they get updated. I figure they are not coming from Google Play Store? Are they included in the 800 MB of the firmware downloadable zip file?

Anyway, what is in these 800 MB - the entire Android plus special software and hardware drivers? (Sorry, pretty much a noob to Android, more of a Linux guy... Oh well, when I consider that huge 800 MB size of zip with the firmware, I am pretty pessimistic that an FW downgrade as I would like to intend will actually work...)

Thanks in advance for feedback and warnings or pos/neg experiences.

EDIT: Guess it is a pretty stupid noob idea ... Maybe I am mistaken by the word ”firmware“?
Okay now, read a few web pages of ”Android 101 for noobs“ 😉😉😉. Indeed, it seems I was seriously mistaken when I asked whether I could install an older firmware.

The point is: ”Firmware“ originally means those little pieces of executable code residing in the little memory of some piece of hardware; it can be modified by flashing the device‘s memory. With Windows, ”firmware“ means just this. In Linux, ”firmware“ still means this, but it goes a step further and also means the collection of hardware drivers. With Android, ”firmware“ seems to have acquired the meaning of designating the entire ‘Droid operating system (including the hardware drivers), as opposed to ”software“ designating all the user-oriented apps. So the Android ”firmware“ is being supplied and updated by the device manufacturer, based upon the Google basics. The Android ”software“ comes from e.g. the Google Play Store.

So most probably I can‘t check for the ”skipping issue“ with firmware 1.18EN instead of my current 1.22EN. The only thing I can do is ask you folks out there whether someone still is running firmware 1.18EN or older. If so, would you be willing to do the test for skipping using either my test track mentioned right above (it is on Qobuz, you would want to import it to SD card) or the tracks given by @Deferenz? My post above describes - hopefully clearly enough - how to reproduce the issue in question. Thank you in advance.

And then it is up to the Cayin engineers... @CayinSupport, @Andykong

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #5,171 of 8,196
Does anyone know what the round blue icon is in the top right corner?

BF790B5F-C0EF-409F-B50F-B3291C804E6B.jpeg

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #5,173 of 8,196
Does anyone know what the round blue icon is in the top right corner?

means you are the admin user,
got to Settings ->
Users & Accounts

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #5,174 of 8,196
Oct 1, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #5,175 of 8,196
Just bought E02 yesterday. I tried running with them charged but the upper and bottom side gets very hot to the point almost burning my finger, then I tried listening without charging, still runs very hot after couple minutes and the way battery drains is abnormal, can only last under 1 hr, and midway n6ii just shut off automatically although the battery still have 40 something %.
Is this caused by battery failure? Prior to changing I'm using A01 and had no problems whatsoever.
Another thing that bother me when I play there is a loud clicking sound exist like about 10-15 seconds and after that I'm detecting serious hiss noise on my right iem side using Solaris. The left side also hissed but it didn't bother me much like the right side.
Any insight on this problem?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back