Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 25, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #5,131 of 8,192
shame that it's rhe last motherboard, could've been cool if there was another one with extremely ample power, maybe something to rival the new dx220max and R8. i wouldn't mind having a motherboard that's a little longer than the others for some extra power :p

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #5,132 of 8,192
shame that it's rhe last motherboard, could've been cool if there was another one with extremely ample power, maybe something to rival the new dx220max and R8. i wouldn't mind having a motherboard that's a little longer than the others for some extra power :p

But in those examples with R8 and MAX they are using a different power architecture to achieve the higher voltage output. Don't think it is feasible relative to the existing N6ii design.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #5,133 of 8,192
But in those examples with R8 and MAX they are using a different power architecture to achieve the higher voltage output. Don't think it is feasible relative to the existing N6ii design.
makes sense, they're both a good amount larger in size too..

it's a shame, while i love my n6ii e02 a lot i always wonder about "what if" dx220max is better for my iems etc. upgraditis, but i can't afford mentally to go through the process of selling buying and then maybe being disappointed.

i do recall i heard someone say that the e02 rivals the dx220max when it comes to iems. really hope it's the case haha :p i can't really think what can be taken to the next level anyways, whenever hearing a track all the details and technicalities are there

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #5,134 of 8,192

it's a shame, while i love my n6ii e02 a lot i always wonder about "what if" dx220max is better for my iems etc. upgraditis, but i can't afford mentally to go through the process of selling buying and then maybe being disappointed.

i do recall i heard someone say that the e02 rivals the dx220max when it comes to iems. really hope it's the case haha :p i can't really think what can be taken to the next level anyways, whenever hearing a track all the details and technicalities are there

This is currently happening to me too, I’m really interested in the AK SA700, but still i really like my n6ii E02 hahahaha

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #5,135 of 8,192
Update on skipping

I’ve just tested offline Tidal downloads. There are some tracks I use because the singing begins immediately, thus it is easy to tell if there is an issue. These are:

‘Best of You’ by Foo Fighters
‘Help!’ By The Beatles
‘Suppers Ready’ by Genesis
‘Here’s The Tender Coming’ by The Unthanks
‘Carry on Wayward Son’ by Kansas

Every one of these skipped when I pressed on them to play.

I’ve just tested the SD card via Cayin music app and this seems to be ok, although I cannot say 100% yet as I want to load up some of the above songs to check.
Update on skipping: My test track for this issue is J.S. Bach‘s Italian Concerto, 1st movement, performed by the Jacques Loussier Trio on their “Play Bach aux Champs-Elysées“, CD 1, track 2.

Let me repeat myself: Listening to the T01 module via headphones, I observe the skipping issue with all three player apps, Cayin, HiBy, Qobuz. My music is stored on a SanDisk Extreme Pro Micro SD card with 1 TB capacity and 170 MBytes/s reading capability; only 6 GB out of the 1000 GB used up.

There is another test that I would like to do, but haven‘t found the required peace yet: What would happen if I / we were to take the digital output from our N6ii into another outboard DAC? Could be my Chord Hugo 2, of which I am sure it plays even the first fraction of a second when a digital signal comes in. We could utilize the USB-C output from the N6ii, or the S/PDIF embedded in the USB-C, ohe I2S embedded in USB-C.

This test should be very interesting, since I suppose it will eliminate the DAC/AMP module from the game. I suppose it will leave the player apps and a portion of the N6ii firmware in the faulty game. Again, please forgive me if that test has been done already; pls let us all know again.

Actually, this proposal came to my mind when I reflected on my past journey:
  1. I started out with an AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB-DAC. Simple and effective device, which I use still today for quick and dirty tests.
  2. Next thing was an Oppo HA2-SE USB-DAC. This one got returned to the dealer quite quickly, since - guess what! - it discarded a few seconds of music every time when I hit Play from stopped or paused status on the associated computer. I had been in contact even with Oppo California, but to no avail at all. So I bid farewell to it.
  3. Thereafter, I auditioned other USB-DACS, a.o. a Chord Mojo (not my sound). Anyway, I ultimately ended up with purchasing a Chord Hugo 2.
  4. The N6ii came last as a handy device, and it‘s an outstanding DAC.
Thus, I am reminded of step 2 of my journey by the current “skipping issue“ of the N6ii. Maybe it is interesting that the Oppo was just a USB-DAC, no operating system, no player apps.

Another test which could be done is putting the music files into the internal storage of the N6ii instead of an SD card as in my case. But I seem to remember that this has already been done by @Deferenz? Nevertheless, I figure an SD card at 170 MBytes/s reading should be fast enough to fill a play buffer almost instantly.

Finally, I should like to express my sincere hope that Cayin‘s developers can turn to the skipping issue now, since the bugfixing for firmware 2.2 is off their chests. Dear @Andykong, please let us know what‘s going on; if not now, then be after the 1st week of October break.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #5,136 of 8,192

I’m the same and also wonder ‘what if’. I’ve been researching a few different Daps recently just to get a feel for what else is going on. Although I really like the N6ii with E02 there is always the pull of something new to distract me.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #5,137 of 8,192
So sad to read that it might be the last motherboard we’ll have, in one way i totally understand it (though cirrus logic dacs hasn’t been explored... JUST SAYING... CL01 could be a good option...). I haven’t tried e02, but I’m more than happy with my 3 motherboards, maybe ill add it later on to my collection, a02 sounds amazing but i just sold all my desktop setup, i do congratulate the cayin team for the bold move.

Tubes could be added to the motherboard collection as well... or a mini r2r project? =P just saying

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #5,138 of 8,192
I’m the same and also wonder ‘what if’. I’ve been researching a few different Daps recently just to get a feel for what else is going on. Although I really like the N6ii with E02 there is always the pull of something new to distract me.
i feel like e02 is prolly totl level, i do recall friends saying they ditched their N8 because n6ii e02 sounded nearly identical.

i think it's mainly preference. i really can't imagine how a higher end dap would improve music further, i think it's mainly the iem from this point onward

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #5,139 of 8,192
Another contribution to the “skipping problem“:

Android is based on Linux, but I am not sure how far the parallels go. I can report that I am running two Linux systems on my laptop, which do flawless audio replays - gapless, no “skipping losses“ whatsoever. At the lowest level of the Linux audio stack is the alsa library. So I am inferring that alsa is flawless regarding our current issue.

FWIW, just saying. I don‘t know how Android is built in general, and how the Cayin N6ii firmware is built in particular.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #5,140 of 8,192
Another contribution to the “skipping problem“:

Android is based on Linux, but I am not sure how far the parallels go. I can report that I am running two Linux systems on my laptop, which do flawless audio replays - gapless, no “skipping losses“ whatsoever. At the lowest level of the Linux audio stack is the alsa library. So I am inferring that alsa is flawless regarding our current issue.

FWIW, just saying. I don‘t know how Android is built in general, and how the Cayin N6ii firmware is built in particular.
Adding an indication towards alsa: The Open Source Android does reveal its audio stack. Indeed, alsa or oss or a custom driver are mentioned to be the three alternatives at the bottom of the audio stack. Of course, only Cayin knows what they put into our N6ii‘s.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #5,141 of 8,192
Are the Cayin engineers not able to replicate the skipping issue I wonder? If a few of us on here are describing the same thing, then, whichever way you cut it, it has to be an actual issue.

I appreciate that the Cayin guys are responsive to the community here and it’s good to have that close connection between us as users and the manufacturer.

But as much as I like the sound of N6ii w/E02, the skipping is doing my head in. It is incredibly frustrating and spoiling my enjoyment of the music.

Here is a sad face 😢

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,142 of 8,192
Are the Cayin engineers not able to replicate the skipping issue I wonder? If a few of us on here are describing the same thing, then, whichever way you cut it, it has to be an actual issue.

I appreciate that the Cayin guys are responsive to the community here and it’s good to have that close connection between us as users and the manufacturer.

But as much as I like the sound of N6ii w/E02, the skipping is doing my head in. It is incredibly frustrating and spoiling my enjoyment of the music.

Here is a sad face 😢

Just an idea, perhaps try to do a factory reset?

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #5,143 of 8,192
Here is a sad face 😢
Me too. I‘m extremely allergic to the skipping issue due to my Oppo journey into nowhere land as described above.

😢😢😢

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #5,144 of 8,192
Just an idea, perhaps try to do a factory reset?
Fair point and worth a try. I guess that means reloading everything from scratch. Joy.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #5,145 of 8,192
Questions wrt the “skipping issue“:

A number of us here have observed it under quite some different circumstances. I do sincerely hope that the Cayin engineers are collecting all evidence along the past pages of this thread thoroughly and are able to arrive at appropriate conclusions. @Andykong, please help!

I would like to ask whether I can download an older firmware version and install it over a newer one. Reason: I got my N6ii with the A01 and T01 modules in January 2020; its firmware maybe was in the status before the E01, but almost certainly in the status before the E02. I don‘t remember a skipping back then, but maybe I was just new to using the unit and missed it. So my firmware is 1.22 now, and I see the T01 skipping as described in my post above. Can I install an older firmware over it? Can I then update to say 2.2? Any dangers??? I have no backup of the entire unit, and I would hate to turn it into a brick...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back