Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4,501 of 8,196
They had it connected to a MacBook, which is what I would have done also. Instead though I was tempted by DAPs and eventually led to me getting the N6ii.

I think you will be happier with n6ii then hugo2. That big square box isnt what we would call a portable rig.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #4,502 of 8,196
Here you go, my full review of E02 module is up! The detailed coverage of the design and the sound, plus I included extra info about the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter. Enjoy the read!

cayin_n6ii-e02-04.jpg

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #4,504 of 8,196
I have a Cayin N6ii w/E02 coming for an audition. Looking forward to getting to do some comparisons to my FiiO M15. I am not sure I will like it more than the M15 or not. I have to say the M15 with the Solaris 2020 out of the 4.4 balanced sounds pretty amazing. But I have always been curious and intriqued by the N6ii so figured I would give this a try.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #4,505 of 8,196
I have a Cayin N6ii w/E02 coming for an audition. Looking forward to getting to do some comparisons to my FiiO M15. I am not sure I will like it more than the M15 or not. I have to say the M15 with the Solaris 2020 out of the 4.4 balanced sounds pretty amazing. But I have always been curious and intriqued by the N6ii so figured I would give this a try.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,507 of 8,196
Here you go, my full review of E02 module is up! The detailed coverage of the design and the sound, plus I included extra info about the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter. Enjoy the read!

cayin_n6ii-e02-04.jpg

As always very nice write up!

Is it correct to understand that your E02 and E01 comparison was done with U18t balanced into E02 and single ended into E01 (with similar cables), instead of using the SE to 4.4 adaptor?

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,508 of 8,196
As always very nice write up!

Is it correct to understand that your E02 and E01 comparison was done with U18t balanced into E02 and single ended into E01 (with similar cables), instead of using the SE to 4.4 adaptor?

That is correct. I can't assume that everybody will have that custom adapter, so I prefer to stick to the "stock" config.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #4,509 of 8,196
That is correct. I can't assume that everybody will have that custom adapter, so I prefer to stick to the "stock" config.

Perfect thanks! I also think that adaptor could impact soundstage so it's helpful that the comments made under the "best" condition.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #4,510 of 8,196

Thanks for the detailed review. Which board has overall smoother and non-fatigue tonality - E01 or E02? And please, it would be great to know if the difference is really significant, or it is hardly noticeable.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #4,511 of 8,196

cayin_n6ii-e02-04.jpg
Thanks for the write-up; great review as always.

E01 has a superior DAC than E02, but it seems that it does not make significant differences? And do you notice any difference between the A/B amp sections in both cards?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #4,512 of 8,196
Thanks for the write-up; great review as always.

E01 has a superior DAC than E02, but it seems that it does not make significant differences? And do you notice any difference between the A/B amp sections in both cards?

E01 and E02 use different versions of the same DAC (desktop vs mobile), and I'm sure if you look and compare ESS datasheets for each corresponding DAC there will be a small difference in technical measurements/performance. But then, when you add Class A/AB discrete amp architecture on top of it, those amplifier will be doing more sound shaping/coloring.

Of course, hearing is subjective and if you are reading somewhere or hearing yourself a significant difference between E01 and E02, I'm not going to argue with that :) But, personally I don't. Plus, you also have to keep in mind that a difference in sound could be due to pair up synergy with whatever you are listening to and how it is affected by higher power output of E02 (for more demanding headphones) or the output impedance of SE (0.6ohm) vs BAL (1.2ohm) (for IEMs).

And, unfortunately, you can't test A/B difference between E01 vs E02 DAC outputs and the effect of their amp section because E01 doesn't have Line Out while E02 does.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #4,513 of 8,196
Thanks for the detailed review. Which board has overall smoother and non-fatigue tonality - E01 or E02? And please, it would be great to know if the difference is really significant, or it is hardly noticeable.

Based on pair ups with iems and headphones I tested E01 and E02 with and how I hear it, they both have non-fatigue analog tonality. But if I would to nitpick, in terms of less to more smoother, it would be E01 (AB), E02, E01 (A).

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #4,514 of 8,196
E01 and E02 use different versions of the same DAC (desktop vs mobile), and I'm sure if you look and compare ESS datasheets for each corresponding DAC there will be a small difference in technical measurements/performance. But then, when you add Class A/AB discrete amp architecture on top of it, those amplifier will be doing more sound shaping/coloring.

Of course, hearing is subjective and if you are reading somewhere or hearing yourself a significant difference between E01 and E02, I'm not going to argue with that :) But, personally I don't. Plus, you also have to keep in mind that a difference in sound could be due to pair up synergy with whatever you are listening to and how it is affected by higher power output of E02 (for more demanding headphones) or the output impedance of SE (0.6ohm) vs BAL (1.2ohm) (for IEMs).

And, unfortunately, you can't test A/B difference between E01 vs E02 DAC outputs and the effect of their amp section because E01 doesn't have Line Out while E02 does.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I was really leaning towards E01 because most of my IEMs are single ended, but the adapter you mentioned in your review and the similarity between E01 and “SE” E02 really made the choice much harder!

So the advantage of E01 is the class A amp option, while the advantages of E02 are more power, balanced output and line out.. the latter seems much more logical, but then again, going full SE in 2020 seems really a cool thing..

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #4,515 of 8,196
I got my N6ii with E02 to audition today. On initial impressions The N6ii E02 has more bass impact than the M15 and a more intimate presentation. It isn't as airy as the M15 with my Solaris 2020. I am also noticing some noise from the player like a low whistling/static every now and then. Not sure if that is normal or if there is something wrong? It almost sounds like when you have a bad connection with a cable. But I don't get it at all on the M15. I also am not sure how much time this E02 motherboard has on it as it is supposed to be an open box demo for audition purposes. Initial impressions are I prefer the M15 to the N6ii w/E02. I do like the added weight to the bass though on the N6ii. I wish the soundstage was as airy as the M15. Maybe this board needs some time to run. I only have it for a couple of days, so will let it run a bit and see if it changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back