Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #4,516 of 8,213
I got my N6ii with E02 to audition today. On initial impressions The N6ii E02 has more bass impact than the M15 and a more intimate presentation. It isn't as airy as the M15 with my Solaris 2020. I am also noticing some noise from the player like a low whistling/static every now and then. Not sure if that is normal or if there is something wrong? It almost sounds like when you have a bad connection with a cable. But I don't get it at all on the M15. I also am not sure how much time this E02 motherboard has on it as it is supposed to be an open box demo for audition purposes. Initial impressions are I prefer the M15 to the N6ii w/E02. I do like the added weight to the bass though on the N6ii. I wish the soundstage was as airy as the M15. Maybe this board needs some time to run. I only have it for a couple of days, so will let it run a bit and see if it changes.

I think @twister6 said he had it on burn in for 4-5 days before assessing it. @Vitaly2017 is going to burn it in for a minimum of 200 hrs. Perhaps this is worth doing just in case, then try it again?

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #4,517 of 8,213
I think @twister6 said he had it on burn in for 4-5 days before assessing it. @Vitaly2017 is going to burn it in for a minimum of 200 hrs. Perhaps this is worth doing just in case, then try it again?
I am going to let it burn in for as long as I can. This card is supposed to already have some time on it, just not sure how much and my audition period is only for a few days. So I won't have that much time. I do have to say that noise out of the amp seems to be a weird one. It is almost like it isn't grounding properly. I know it isn't my cable because I have no issues on any other gear, just this N6ii.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #4,518 of 8,213

I did some pre preview yesterday just was checking on how it sounds.

And from first things that strikes the most between T01 and E02 is the organic feel of the sound the bass the thickness T01 is more fun vs E02

Also found T01 to be sharper snd bites more on treble when compared on same tracks the E02 felt very plesant easy soft. The T01 could hit the harsh siblant territory slightly, it is pushed a little more then what I would be comfortable with.

Bass hits better on T01 very organic fun enjoyable and bigger in mass!

E02 has best accurate tonality it almost feels like real life like 🙂
But not as fun as T01.
I only wish t01 had the treble of E02 and keep the rest all of T01.

So big spotlights are
T01 more organic more fun a very flavorful color with plenty of good vibe and drive to the sound!

E02 a very accurate dac amp module.
Life like tonality.
More control in bass and better treble definition.
This is like the best option for those who like realistic music presentation a somewhat closer to natural sound feel.

For me I found T01 really the big fun module )
More test will be done later this is just a pre preview taste 🙃😉🙃

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #4,519 of 8,213

Tbh, it's more of a force of habit because it will be hard to sit there and quantify % changes hour by hour, day by day, if any :D If any, from my personal experience the most drastic changes happen within first 24-48 hours...

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #4,520 of 8,213
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I was really leaning towards E01 because most of my IEMs are single ended, but the adapter you mentioned in your review and the similarity between E01 and “SE” E02 really made the choice much harder!

So the advantage of E01 is the class A amp option, while the advantages of E02 are more power, balanced output and line out.. the latter seems much more logical, but then again, going full SE in 2020 seems really a cool thing..

Btw, take a look at what DDhifi guys just cooked up :wink: https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/142361.html

1591207310915.png

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #4,521 of 8,213
I did some pre preview yesterday just was checking on how it sounds.

And from first things that strikes the most between T01 and E02 is the organic feel of the sound the bass the thickness T01 is more fun vs E02

Also found T01 to be sharper snd bites more on treble when compared on same tracks the E02 felt very plesant easy soft. The T01 could hit the harsh siblant territory slightly, it is pushed a little more then what I would be comfortable with.

Bass hits better on T01 very organic fun enjoyable and bigger in mass!

E02 has best accurate tonality it almost feels like real life like 🙂
But not as fun as T01.
I only wish t01 had the treble of E02 and keep the rest all of T01.

So big spotlights are
T01 more organic more fun a very flavorful color with plenty of good vibe and drive to the sound!

E02 a very accurate dac amp module.
Life like tonality.
More control in bass and better treble definition.
This is like the best option for those who like realistic music presentation a somewhat closer to natural sound feel.

For me I found T01 really the big fun module )
More test will be done later this is just a pre preview taste 🙃😉🙃
Tbh, it's more of a force of habit because it will be hard to sit there and quantify % changes hour by hour, day by day, if any :D If any, from my personal experience the most drastic changes happen within first 24-48 hours...
Have either of you noticed what I am noticing in terms of the noise out of the E02 module? I am getting a whistling squealing noise, it seems like almost a bad ground and if I touch the titanium barrel of the connector on my cable it will get better or go away. So it is almost like the E02 isn't getting a proper ground for some reason. I don't notice anything like this with any of the other 4.4 sources I have used with this same cable. So I don't think it is the cable I will have to try a different cable to test it a little bit later when I have the chance. So far though I found the DX228 and the M15 to have an airier presentation at least with the Solaris 2020 and that could have something to do with the difference in Output impedance but not sure. Maybe this amp card needs a day or two to burn in.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4,522 of 8,213
Cayin recommends a minimum 50-hour burn in time with the E02.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #4,523 of 8,213
Cayin recommends a minimum 50-hour burn in time with the E02.
I am definitely going to let it burn in a bit more and see what I think then. Like I have been saying these are just initial impressions.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #4,524 of 8,213
Have either of you noticed what I am noticing in terms of the noise out of the E02 module? I am getting a whistling squealing noise, it seems like almost a bad ground and if I touch the titanium barrel of the connector on my cable it will get better or go away. So it is almost like the E02 isn't getting a proper ground for some reason. I don't notice anything like this with any of the other 4.4 sources I have used with this same cable. So I don't think it is the cable I will have to try a different cable to test it a little bit later when I have the chance. So far though I found the DX228 and the M15 to have an airier presentation at least with the Solaris 2020 and that could have something to do with the difference in Output impedance but not sure. Maybe this amp card needs a day or two to burn in.

That is a very intriguing thing about that squalshy noise I was just talking about this to @twister6 and I also Experienced that noise!

The best way to hear noise on n6ii is play a song amd set volume to 0 ! This way it keeps playing and emitting any noise that you wouldn't hear because music is overlapping it.

As additional test I concluded that T01 module made less hiss then E02 and no squalshy weird peaky noise as if you are trying to tune your radio frequency lol.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #4,525 of 8,213
That is a very intriguing thing about that squalshy noise I was just talking about this to @twister6 and I also Experienced that noise!

The best way to hear noise on n6ii is play a song amd set volume to 0 ! This way it keeps playing and emitting any noise that you wouldn't hear because music is overlapping it.

As additional test I concluded that T01 module made less hiss then E02 and no squalshy weird peaky noise as if you are trying to tune your radio frequency lol.
Yes that is exactly the noise. It sounds like trying to tune a radio frequency. I will have to try with other earphones but it is definitely there with the Solaris. Interesting that you say it isn't there with the T01 board. Makes me wonder what in the amp section of the E02 is causing that. What is weird is if I grab the cable barrel while it is playing a track and volume at 0 it minimized the noise. So I am not sure if it is a weird grounding issue only with the E02 or if it is something else entirely?

Either way it is definitely a deal breaker for the E02 for me if it can't be solved.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #4,527 of 8,213
I am definitely going to give the N6ii with E02 some more time. I do like a lot about the signature compared to the M15. It has a slightly warmer and smoother tonality to it. I just wish it had the width and space that the M15 had to it's presentation as well. Maybe it will get better with some more time? The M15 also has a much quieter background with the Solaris 2020 than the N6ii E02 does but once the music is playing you don't notice it as much. I definitely find the M15 soundstage is wider and I think it might be a bit deeper and higher as well. I think the N6ii E02 mids are definitely warmer and maybe a bit more forward than the M15 as well. It is a tough choice and need to do some more listening to know for sure which I prefer. But like I have stated that "tuning a radio station" noise is definitely distracting.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4,528 of 8,213
Or perhaps RF interference from a plethora of different possible sources?
That very well could be it too. I will have to do some more testing in different environments. I am at work right now and I do work in IT so there is a lot of other equipment running in the room.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,530 of 8,213
Yes that is exactly the noise. It sounds like trying to tune a radio frequency. I will have to try with other earphones but it is definitely there with the Solaris. Interesting that you say it isn't there with the T01 board. Makes me wonder what in the amp section of the E02 is causing that. What is weird is if I grab the cable barrel while it is playing a track and volume at 0 it minimized the noise. So I am not sure if it is a weird grounding issue only with the E02 or if it is something else entirely?

Either way it is definitely a deal breaker for the E02 for me if it can't be solved.

My first reaction was . Wait what is this did I broke something?
I was testing a new cable when I heard the weird squishy noise and immediately blamed the cable!
Further tests with 2 different iems and cables! Exact same squilshy noise!

I even was pointing the dap up and my arm fully open in length trying to grab a radio frequency 😅🤣 but no no radio channel captured there hehe

Seriously it has to be something with enhanced power boost maybe or internal parts creating interference and the result is we hear it... also maybe with internal shielding enhancements this could be fixed....

T01 amp on other hand is very quiet. Half the hiss of E02 amp.
And no issues.
But there is another problem!
You probably havent played the device 24/7 like I did and here is what I found.

With amp T01 the cayin music app crashes the most frequent to a point where I gota reboot the dap multiple times and still a few more as it keeps crashing the app.... device can get hot to a point you can cook ya eggs on it!

A01 is less annoying then T01 in regards of the app crash amount. Slightly less frequent. Gets also warm

E02 has almost no crashes maybe 1 or 2 in 2 to 3 days!
While T01 can occur every 3 hours! Sometimes longer or shorter not regular timing...
E02 get slightly warm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back