Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #4,306 of 8,201
I would really love to lay my hands on a used amp modules for E01 and E02 as well to make further tests and see how this two amps work out :)
I really like this little dap with such unique feature to swap dac like this is simply remarkable!
My feelings suggest that the single ended E01 might be the best option actually because it has the big 9038pro dac even in single combination it surpasses the dual 9038q2m! In specs! Being single ended that usually bring more natural feel to the sound, I found all balanced sound are slightly boosted in perception less natural... Thas bring the only problem to single ended is the lack of power for hungry headphones that all.

If some folks have E01 and E02 for sell please PM me :)

I just got my E01 last week based on the exact line of thought. After listening to A01 and T01 in both 4.4 and 3.5, I have become a fan of Cayin's single ended design. Single ended out of A01 and T01 sounds really good, leaving me with an impression that serious design went into both outputs.

But then, I think I will eventually end up with E02 just to hear it. :)

May 18, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #4,307 of 8,201
I just got my E01 last week based on the exact line of thought. After listening to A01 and T01 in both 4.4 and 3.5, I have become a fan of Cayin's single ended design. Single ended out of A01 and T01 sounds really good, leaving me with an impression that serious design went into both outputs.

But then, I think I will eventually end up with E02 just to hear it. :)

I havent tried the se yet on those amp and now you peaked my curiosity as well 🤠

I always have experienced on other daps that the balanced sounded the most technical and precise when did a/b test both yes even on N8 I had the same feeling so I assumed it be the same on n6ii amps without testing 🤔

May 18, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4,308 of 8,201
I havent tried the se yet on those amp and now you peaked my curiosity as well 🤠

I always have experienced on other daps that the balanced sounded the most technical and precise when did a/b test both yes even on N8 I had the same feeling so I assumed it be the same on n6ii amps without testing 🤔

It's understandable. I have always gravitated towards balanced out with my limited prior amps/DAPs... until I got to N6ii. I really enjoy A01 SE out. There's something really musical about it for me.

I think that there will always be a slight advantage with balanced, like better L/R isolation and imaging, overall grip especially with DD IEM and headphones. I don't know that those qualities always equate to better music though. With E01 vs E02, the question also becomes whether higher spec DAC + Class A & AB amp SE out or lesser spec DAC but dedicated Class AB balanced out suits your music and IEM/HP. I have a thing for class A amp and add high spec DAC + Cayin SE, E01 was a natural first step for me :)

We'll see. I might regret not going with E02 :)

May 19, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #4,310 of 8,201
It WORKS!!! :D

The funny thing, E01 was released with 3.5mm HO, and some were upset they had to convert their balanced cables to SE. E02 was released, with 4.4mm BAL HO/LO, and I already had a few people mentioning to me "too bad, there is no SE output" LOL!!! I have noticed that Andy mentioned about adapter to use single ended 3.5mm TRS plug with 4.4mm BAL output. Since E02 has GND pin of Pentacon jack tied to internal ground, as long as you are connecting 3.5mm TRS to L+, R+ and GND pins of 4.4mm TRRRS Pentacon connector it should work.

So, I wanted to put this to the test. Pinged Peter (Double Helix Cable), and asked if he can make the adapter. I think he literally made it on the spot, and I just got his DHC pigtail 3.5mm to 4.4mm custom adapter (25awg occ silver litz wires, 4.4mm Eidolic connector with rhodium plug). Again, this is not a typical standard connection. Such adapters don't exist because you can't convert single ended to balanced, just doesn't work converting L/R/GND to L+/R+/L-/R-. This is custom where L/R/GND is connected to L+/R+/GND of Pentacon 4.4mm TRRRS connector.

And it WORKS!!! I can connect 3.5mm terminated earphones and headphones and use this adapter with 3.5mm external amp. And, as expected, while going from BAL to SE, the power output drops since I had to raise the volume by about 6 clicks (tested with the same IEM, volume matched).

cayin_n6ii-e02-21.jpg cayin_n6ii-e02-22.jpgcayin_n6ii-e02-23.jpg cayin_n6ii-e02-24.jpg

Just received this adapter configured the same way from @skedra - gives my limited collection of SE terminated gear the taste of E02 goodness that they’ve been missing out on! Nice to have that versatility moving forward. Thanks @skedra !

29BA4CF9-8148-4FAE-80A9-76D72EC2EE1E.jpeg

May 19, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,311 of 8,201
I just bought amp E02 soon will know how it sounds 🤩😛🤑😎🤠🤠

So far I like A01 more then T01 because it has a very analog and thick sound in it )
I used to say my wm1z sounds like caramel well A01 sounds like thick liqueur 🤣😂 same warmth but different flavors 🤫

May 19, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,312 of 8,201
Hi @Ojisan,

Saw your inventory that you have DX220 + AMP8FE, may i know how is the sound perform compare to N6ii + T01 and E02 ?

I'm still thinking to go for N6ii..

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately T01 gets least amount of head time for me. It extends nicely in bass and treble with a very wide soundstage. To me, there's something missing (maybe the body to the sound) so I cannot enjoy it as much as, say A01. I'm still looking around for the best music/IEM combo for T01.

For DX228FE, I would say the tonality has good extension on both ends with much more body (or thickness) to the sound. IMHO, A01 has a wet thickness to it and DX228FE has a drier thickness to it, if that even makes sense. What DX228FE excels is the drive capability of the amp. It has very good grip and punch. I like pairing it with IER-Z1R. Z1R on T01 sounds thin and sluggish.

I'll need more time with E01 to speak to it.

May 19, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #4,313 of 8,201
Unfortunately T01 gets least amount of head time for me. It extends nicely in bass and treble with a very wide soundstage. To me, there's something missing (maybe the body to the sound) so I cannot enjoy it as much as, say A01. I'm still looking around for the best music/IEM combo for T01.

For DX228FE, I would say the tonality has good extension on both ends with much more body (or thickness) to the sound. IMHO, A01 has a wet thickness to it and DX228FE has a drier thickness to it, if that even makes sense. What DX228FE excels is the drive capability of the amp. It has very good grip and punch. I like pairing it with IER-Z1R. Z1R on T01 sounds thin and sluggish.

I'll need more time with E01 to speak to it.

Thanks for your input.

May 20, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #4,315 of 8,201
@Vitaly2017 what is the best gain setting to use with the N6ii and the Trio?

May 20, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #4,316 of 8,201
@Vitaly2017 what is the best gain setting to use with the N6ii and the Trio?

Hmm trio is different in this regard to impedance match as it has the LiD technology and my noir dont.
I could even blast full high gain power mod 2 on cayin n8 and was totally fine!

I think trio still likes more power! So high gain can bring more dynamic and faster experience without screwing frequency response.

For my noir I set low gain and raise volume this way I feel the sound being more linear and balanced like a more coherent sound curve.
And thats cause I have no LiD on noir...

Personally I prefer no lid as it lets me hear and feel more transparently rather everything being already prearranged to the same impedance no matter what situation

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #4,319 of 8,201
Hi from Spain..

i have Cayin N6 mk2 and Sony ZX505

someone with the Solaris 2020 together the E01 and E02 cards?

much better than with the A01?

I had the Solaris OG and I liked them. Better with 2020? I'm waiting for them and I don't know if I want to buy the E01 or E02 or just Only wirh Sony ZX505 ..

the Cayin greatly improves autonomy versus Sony

thanks for the impressions

Best

Sisco

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #4,320 of 8,201
I just bought amp E02 soon will know how it sounds 🤩😛🤑😎🤠🤠

So far I like A01 more then T01 because it has a very analog and thick sound in it )
I used to say my wm1z sounds like caramel well A01 sounds like thick liqueur 🤣😂 same warmth but different flavors 🤫

I'm really looking forward to your impressions of A01 vs E02. I am currently on the fence on whether to buy the E02 or not. Can't decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back