Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 13, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #4,291 of 8,215
Guys, the E02 has landed. Only spent a couple of hours with it but first impressions are very, very promising. I can confidently say the A01 will definitely be staying in the E02 box for the foreseeable future.

The best way I can describe how good this sounds for my tastes is that I can't stop scrolling through my playlists to hear how good the next song sounds and the one after that, and the one after that, etc.etc.

Anybody sitting on the fence with this one just pull the trigger and thank me later. Seriously its that good!

Do you find E02 to hit lower deep in the sub bass?

May 13, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #4,292 of 8,215
I decided to spend the budget I reserved for the E02 on Intel NUC to create an independent Roon Server...priorities matter)
I don’t have any experience with Roon and my time with independent servers/steamers is also very limited.
Having watched several YouTube videos on these subjects I always come away with the impression that it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

May 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #4,294 of 8,215
I don’t have any experience with Roon and my time with independent servers/steamers is also very limited.
Having watched several YouTube videos on these subjects I always come away with the impression that it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.
Yeah, could be ) We'll see.

May 13, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #4,295 of 8,215
Yes. Definitely.

But less warm and thick probably.
E02 has more natural reference presentation with a tilt of fun signature slightly?

More balanced and coherent? While T01 has more fun drive typo? More alive.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #4,296 of 8,215
Guys, the E02 has landed. Only spent a couple of hours with it but first impressions are very, very promising. I can confidently say the A01 will definitely be staying in the E02 box for the foreseeable future.

The best way I can describe how good this sounds for my tastes is that I can't stop scrolling through my playlists to hear how good the next song sounds and the one after that, and the one after that, etc.etc.

Anybody sitting on the fence with this one just pull the trigger and thank me later. Seriously its that good!

What is your full audio chain, starting from source music app, song formats, through to your headphones? It would be interesting to learn about this positive synergy.

May 13, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #4,297 of 8,215
Roon is like cherry on the top of a cake)))

May 14, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #4,298 of 8,215
Can any other N6ii (E02)+Audeze LCD-i4 owners share their EQ setup? Preferably something that works across genres like jazz, rock and electronic music.

Cheers!!

May 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #4,299 of 8,215
Wow this E02 is really a step up compared to A01. Still 12 hours of play but out of the box is already impressive. Soundstage width is similar to A01, but definitely goes deeper, and feels cavernous. Overall improved resolution (very black background) and layering, better control across lower frequencies and to my surprise, very analogue sounding, reminding me of 1Z’s original signature with stock FW. Both treble and mids are similar to A01, perhaps the treble is a little more extended but not by much.

Battery life is not that great though. At first listen, it went from 98% to 7% in around 7 hours, playing a DXD album on repeat. But definitely a keeper! A01 goes in the box for the foreseeable future :)

May 17, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #4,300 of 8,215
Right now I'm listening to a fully burned in E02, and I love it. I've got the E02 outputting into a Unique Melody Mason V3, and it may be the best pairing with this particular IEM. The stage is big, the bass has excellent impact and texture. There is no hint of grain or veil anywhere, it's just crazy transparent. When I first hooked up the E02 the soundstage wasn't fully integrated, there was a bit of left/right/centre zone effect going on without the connective tissue bringing them together. Now it's all whole. Treating myself to some Daft Punk - Instant Crush. I really like the E02 with the AME Custom Gravitas too. There is a very nice openess to the centre of the soundstage with great instrument separation and articulation. Speed with my crackhead Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4 track keeps up nicely, showing everything the UM Mason V3 has to offer, but with a touch more impact on the percussion than I remember on the QP2R (will have to have this track in against QP2R for proper review). I listened to Generationals albums for hours on this combo and it just pops with texture all over the place. This is a big winner for me so far.

I think the main complaint I have at this point is a lack of volume control range on sensitive IEMs. I think Cayin should actually have the low gain set more like an ultra-low gain mode. On tracks from Perturbator, or other LOUD music, I have to drop the volume all the way down to the 30s. Almost all IEMs are well-covered by low gain. I haven't tested yet with the RHA CL1, I hope 4-pin mini XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter still works. The CL1 is harder to drive than many planars, so should be an interesting test. Sendy Aiva wasn't hard to drive with E02. Will test HD600 too.
How long did you burn the E02 for?

May 17, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4,301 of 8,215
E02 takes the n6ii to flagship dap level in my opinion.
I saw that you posted on the LP6k board. How does the E02 compare to the Lotoo Paw 6000?

May 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #4,302 of 8,215
Found something maybe useful to some the filter on amp A01 descripion.

1589809243938.png

From long testings I found that all the filters with sharp roll-off are to bright and aggressive, to sharp on the treble. Offering a more dynamic sound presentation, more boosted a little.

Slow roll-off in other part offer a more normal natural feel to the music, less dynamic but with a perception with more warmth and thickness to the sound. I like the slow roll-off because #1 it has much less aggressiveness and less brightness witch I find less fatiguing...

Another interesting finding I found is the echo that are produced by each filter.
-Low Dispersion Short Delay offer the most echo in music, but funny to say but with deep listening I found it to be felt artificially added and does not sound normal or natural as per it was intentionally added... But can be a fun filter if you really love the perception of wider bigger airier sound but its not right in my perception :)
-All the filters with sharp roll-off seems to offer tad more echo then the slow roll-off filters. Yes way more acceptable and normal in behavior in comparison to the Low Dispersion short delay. It can be still felt as its is not life like its on the fun side also but less in your face kinda.
You can have slightly slightly more bass vibration with the short delay sharp roll-off vs sharp roll-off. But I find Slow roll-off more warm and thicker and that seems to make bass elevated in the mid bass and short delay fast roll-off seems to go in the sub bass region.
-Slow roll-off is to me the most appropriate filter for listening, what I mean by this is it feels natural normal and also can feel the music has less distortion and weird frequencies curves. Less bright more tonally correct and well balanced. In my opinion the best filter is the super slow roll-off it feels very very natural, no emphasis's on anything just playing the music as it is, with warm and good analog feel to the music, my favorite! It also offers a sound presentation with more blacker background as it does not add artificial echo effect, yes there will be echo but only the one present in the music if intended to. This filter can be perceived slightly maybe more relaxed and less dynamic vs the regular slow roll-off again its extremely narrow to feel that perception probably you wont even feel it as you need some darn good ToTL iems and cable to get to that subtle nuances perception.

If you want the most natural life like and harmonical sound experience go with super slow roll-off
If you want the feel of the natural sound with more echo and slightly more agitated sound go with slow-roll-off ( almost like the same as super slow roll-off but more a live )
Short delay slow roll-off offers much more bass and slightly more brightness, feels very active as sound presentation with a good amount of bass addition. Less accurate I find then slow or super slow.
If you want something with sharper attacks and quicker bass response sharp roll-off is a good one for this. It can be bright and sharp and fatiguing in the long run.
Short fast roll-off is somewhat weird for me I dont like this filter and music becomes not natural everything is less organised. Can get harsh and a miss for some tracks. I highly disfavor this one
For maximum echo expansion in sound and wide perception of sound stage I think you can try the Low dispersion short delay filter, but seriously this one is just for fun its not as accurately tonally tuned as the super slow roll-off and has a bigger sound presentation with more echoes and vibrations in sound. This filter to me feels like a THX audio format was enabled to enhance the sound lol.

Also quick note about dsd filters to!
I find DsD narrow the most natural and less bright and sharp on the treble, I like the dsd narrow it sounds like super slow roll-off in a way. Everything is just as it should.
DsD Wide is slightly different feels brighter and a little shift in the sound stage, like it feels some specter of instruments are closer and others are further away, like it almost split 2 side in two and some feels closer and others further??? Wile in dsd narrow everything feels normal and natural no perception of the sound stage being modified and stretched in a weirder sound perception.

Also very important to note about dsd gain compensation, while I was listening to my dsd I was hearing some clips or pops we can say its like on vinyl ! Well the cause of that is dsd gain compensation +6 db! Yes that feature is amping the sound making it louder so you dont have to set your volume up when listening to dsd as they are much quieter then flacs. In real world all dsd are recorded with the parameter of -6 db to the sound so you wont hear those imperfections but Cayin did add the feature of boosting that up and thas the reason I could hear the imperfection of the dsd. So I simply recommend you set it 0 db and you will regain the seductive warm and charming feel of the original authenticated dsd sound presentation!

All my impressions where done with tia fourte black and pw1960 4(8) wires cable. Set on Low gain.

May 18, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #4,303 of 8,215
Found something maybe useful to some the filter on amp A01 descripion.

1589809243938.png

From long testings I found that all the filters with sharp roll-off are to bright and aggressive, to sharp on the treble. Offering a more dynamic sound presentation, more boosted a little.

Slow roll-off in other part offer a more normal natural feel to the music, less dynamic but with a perception with more warmth and thickness to the sound. I like the slow roll-off because #1 it has much less aggressiveness and less brightness witch I find less fatiguing...

Another interesting finding I found is the echo that are produced by each filter.
-Low Dispersion Short Delay offer the most echo in music, but funny to say but with deep listening I found it to be felt artificially added and does not sound normal or natural as per it was intentionally added... But can be a fun filter if you really love the perception of wider bigger airier sound but its not right in my perception :)
-All the filters with sharp roll-off seems to offer tad more echo then the slow roll-off filters. Yes way more acceptable and normal in behavior in comparison to the Low Dispersion short delay. It can be still felt as its is not life like its on the fun side also but less in your face kinda.
You can have slightly slightly more bass vibration with the short delay sharp roll-off vs sharp roll-off. But I find Slow roll-off more warm and thicker and that seems to make bass elevated in the mid bass and short delay fast roll-off seems to go in the sub bass region.
-Slow roll-off is to me the most appropriate filter for listening, what I mean by this is it feels natural normal and also can feel the music has less distortion and weird frequencies curves. Less bright more tonally correct and well balanced. In my opinion the best filter is the super slow roll-off it feels very very natural, no emphasis's on anything just playing the music as it is, with warm and good analog feel to the music, my favorite! It also offers a sound presentation with more blacker background as it does not add artificial echo effect, yes there will be echo but only the one present in the music if intended to. This filter can be perceived slightly maybe more relaxed and less dynamic vs the regular slow roll-off again its extremely narrow to feel that perception probably you wont even feel it as you need some darn good ToTL iems and cable to get to that subtle nuances perception.

If you want the most natural life like and harmonical sound experience go with super slow roll-off
If you want the feel of the natural sound with more echo and slightly more agitated sound go with slow-roll-off ( almost like the same as super slow roll-off but more a live )
Short delay slow roll-off offers much more bass and slightly more brightness, feels very active as sound presentation with a good amount of bass addition. Less accurate I find then slow or super slow.
If you want something with sharper attacks and quicker bass response sharp roll-off is a good one for this. It can be bright and sharp and fatiguing in the long run.
Short fast roll-off is somewhat weird for me I dont like this filter and music becomes not natural everything is less organised. Can get harsh and a miss for some tracks. I highly disfavor this one
For maximum echo expansion in sound and wide perception of sound stage I think you can try the Low dispersion short delay filter, but seriously this one is just for fun its not as accurately tonally tuned as the super slow roll-off and has a bigger sound presentation with more echoes and vibrations in sound. This filter to me feels like a THX audio format was enabled to enhance the sound lol.

Also quick note about dsd filters to!
I find DsD narrow the most natural and less bright and sharp on the treble, I like the dsd narrow it sounds like super slow roll-off in a way. Everything is just as it should.
DsD Wide is slightly different feels brighter and a little shift in the sound stage, like it feels some specter of instruments are closer and others are further away, like it almost split 2 side in two and some feels closer and others further??? Wile in dsd narrow everything feels normal and natural no perception of the sound stage being modified and stretched in a weirder sound perception.

Also very important to note about dsd gain compensation, while I was listening to my dsd I was hearing some clips or pops we can say its like on vinyl ! Well the cause of that is dsd gain compensation +6 db! Yes that feature is amping the sound making it louder so you dont have to set your volume up when listening to dsd as they are much quieter then flacs. In real world all dsd are recorded with the parameter of -6 db to the sound so you wont hear those imperfections but Cayin did add the feature of boosting that up and thas the reason I could hear the imperfection of the dsd. So I simply recommend you set it 0 db and you will regain the seductive warm and charming feel of the original authenticated dsd sound presentation!

All my impressions where done with tia fourte black and pw1960 4(8) wires cable. Set on Low gain.
That is some really useful information. I am going to have a play and try to notice the difference in each one.

May 18, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4,305 of 8,215
I would really love to lay my hands on a used amp modules for E01 and E02 as well to make further tests and see how this two amps work out :)
I really like this little dap with such unique feature to swap dac like this is simply remarkable!
My feelings suggest that the single ended E01 might be the best option actually because it has the big 9038pro dac even in single combination it surpasses the dual 9038q2m! In specs! Being single ended that usually bring more natural feel to the sound, I found all balanced sound are slightly boosted in perception less natural... Thas bring the only problem to single ended is the lack of power for hungry headphones that all.

If some folks have E01 and E02 for sell please PM me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back