Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 5, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4,276 of 8,215
Right now I'm listening to a fully burned in E02, and I love it. I've got the E02 outputting into a Unique Melody Mason V3, and it may be the best pairing with this particular IEM. The stage is big, the bass has excellent impact and texture. There is no hint of grain or veil anywhere, it's just crazy transparent. When I first hooked up the E02 the soundstage wasn't fully integrated, there was a bit of left/right/centre zone effect going on without the connective tissue bringing them together. Now it's all whole. Treating myself to some Daft Punk - Instant Crush. I really like the E02 with the AME Custom Gravitas too. There is a very nice openess to the centre of the soundstage with great instrument separation and articulation. Speed with my crackhead Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4 track keeps up nicely, showing everything the UM Mason V3 has to offer, but with a touch more impact on the percussion than I remember on the QP2R (will have to have this track in against QP2R for proper review). I listened to Generationals albums for hours on this combo and it just pops with texture all over the place. This is a big winner for me so far.

I think the main complaint I have at this point is a lack of volume control range on sensitive IEMs. I think Cayin should actually have the low gain set more like an ultra-low gain mode. On tracks from Perturbator, or other LOUD music, I have to drop the volume all the way down to the 30s. Almost all IEMs are well-covered by low gain. I haven't tested yet with the RHA CL1, I hope 4-pin mini XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter still works. The CL1 is harder to drive than many planars, so should be an interesting test. Sendy Aiva wasn't hard to drive with E02. Will test HD600 too.
E02 takes the n6ii to flagship dap level in my opinion.

May 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #4,277 of 8,215
E02 takes the n6ii to flagship dap level in my opinion.

I am enjoying E02 more than the other amp/DAC cards and I used to own all of them. N6ii with E02 really is next level.

May 5, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #4,278 of 8,215
May 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #4,279 of 8,215
Hi all, I have red about some problems running Tidal/Spotify/Quobuz via usb/spdif to an external DAC.

I'm a Tidal user and have a Hugo 2. Are the problems solved? Does it play mqa properly? Does UAPP work as it should in usb/spdif mode?

In other order of things... With Solaris, which module do you prefer? e01 or e02? Well, if you prefer t01 or a01 will be great to hear it also.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #4,280 of 8,215
Hi, for those who live in US I just put the Cayin N6 II with T01 audio Motherboard that I bought here on head-fi for sale

May 8, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #4,281 of 8,215
20200508_103809.jpg
20200508_103757.jpg

May 8, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #4,283 of 8,215
OK So I rate them all as really close, that's my un-professional civilian opinion. And as always the subjective nature of what we hear rules. Also it's all about the synergy of headphones,dap,music. As an example in those pictures I am using the Senn HD800 with the Cayin. Earlier this morning I had them plugged into the SP2K and it was just not the same, no body or impact. But having the Utopia in the SP2K is a much more enjoyable listen, as are the Klipsch which I enjoy with the AK the best. The 8EX hasn't had much listening time lately but I don't recall having found a headphone that the 8EX doesn't pair well with, especially the DX200TI-EX with it's 8EX.

At these equipment levels it's near impossible for me to detect subtle differences that many others hear. I just enjoy them all, and it's really all about the music anyway, not the equipment.

May 10, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #4,287 of 8,215
I have a very specific question about n6ii, does it play dsd directly natively. I mean is it converted from digital straight into analog or it is passing threw a pass threw filter? Does the dsd performance affected by different amp modules?

May 11, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #4,288 of 8,215
May 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #4,289 of 8,215
Guys, the E02 has landed. Only spent a couple of hours with it but first impressions are very, very promising. I can confidently say the A01 will definitely be staying in the E02 box for the foreseeable future.

The best way I can describe how good this sounds for my tastes is that I can't stop scrolling through my playlists to hear how good the next song sounds and the one after that, and the one after that, etc.etc.

Anybody sitting on the fence with this one just pull the trigger and thank me later. Seriously its that good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back