Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #2,177 of 8,192
T01 has neutral sound not brighter than A01. N6ii and T01 could be excellently paired with Phantom with a high-end cable.
Neutral warm. Not exactly neutral. There is obvious a touch of musical

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #2,178 of 8,192
Did anyone pair new Cayin YB 04, IEM with N6ii? Any impressions?

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #2,180 of 8,192
Excellent info on the T01. Thanks for sharing. How much brighter is the T01 than the A01?

It’s significantly brighter to my ears, much more treble presence. I would nuance the A-01 is warm summary... to me A-01 is rather warm natural. it’s not that warm the lower mids are not overly present, warmth is trickling down from the mid and upper bass. And it’s not dark either, lower treble has this yummy weight to the notes, upper treble is very refined on the A-01 and with a warmer tone... just less forward and clear up top than T-01.

One key difference between A-01 and T-01 for me is the A-01 is thicker, has more body and weight, more macro dynamics, the textures are richer. I hear lower treble having quite a bit more energy. Soundstage is taller and deeper to me. T-01 is thinner, with better separation and imaging, wider soundstage, there is more sub bass and upper treble presence is greater. Mids are neutral to me, more reference. If I had to categorize I’d say neutral with a touch of brightness but it’s elegantly done. There is to me no real warmth from mid/upper bass or lower mids, but good sub bass slam and lower bass presence.

So does the N6ii sound great with Legend X, Phantom and A12t

I’ll test the Phantom with the T-01, with the A-01 I do like the pairing it’s not as warm as one might expect... I figured it would make the Phantom even thicker but it does not emphasize thickness further. Bass has great snap and control and upper treble are not rolled off just feature a warmer tone and good weight to the lower treble.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #2,181 of 8,192
It’s significantly brighter to my ears, much more treble presence. I would nuance the A-01 is warm summary... to me A-01 is rather warm natural. it’s not that warm the lower mids are not overly present, warmth is trickling down from the mid and upper bass. And it’s not dark either, lower treble has this yummy weight to the notes, upper treble is very refined on the A-01 and with a warmer tone... just less forward and clear up top than T-01.

One key difference between A-01 and T-01 for me is the A-01 is thicker, has more body and weight, more macro dynamics, the textures are richer. I hear lower treble having quite a bit more energy. Soundstage is taller and deeper to me. T-01 is thinner, with better separation, wider soundstage, there is more sub bass and upper treble presence is greater. Mids are neutral to me, more reference. If I had to categorize I’d say neutral with a touch of brightness but it’s elegantly done. There is to me no real warmth from mid/upper bass or lower mids, but good sub bass slam and lower bass presence.

I’ll test the Phantom with the T-01, with the A-01 I do like the pairing it’s not as warm as one might expect... I figured it would make the Phantom even thicker but it does not emphasize thickness further. Bass has great snap and control and upper treble are not rolled off just feature a warmer tone and good weight to the lower treble.

Very nice little review and comparison between T01 and A01 modules. My T01 is coming on Tuesday and hope I would like it.

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #2,183 of 8,192
VERY nice earphones case. What's the brand and/or where did you bought it?

It’s Cayin very own YB-04 (as part of N6ii/T01/YAB04 tour I participate in) and the case that comes with it which is nice I agree!

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #2,184 of 8,192
They are nice cases, its the same as the HIDIZS one that comes with the MS4

IMG_20191019_085742.jpg IMG_20191019_085815.jpg

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,185 of 8,192
Very nice little review and comparison between T01 and A01 modules. My T01 is coming on Tuesday and hope I would like it.

Thanks... for me it’s quite easy to compare because I have the Tour N6ii with the T-01 and my own N6ii with A-01 switching is a matter of seconds :)

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #2,186 of 8,192
Not sure about that... DX220 has a dual DAC setup and T-01 shows how much of a battery life penalty it is to have a dual DAC over a single DAC...N6ii/A01 vs DX220/AMP1 mk2 is unfair comparison from that standpoint, vs T-01 it’s a much closer call especially since the N6ii has a bigger battery.

Now from the performance standpoint, it shows that single DAC can take on a dual DAC setup, I don’t feel cheated performance wise with the single AK4497EQ vs Dual ESS9028Pro. Cayin was smart there. Of course that means you don”t get DSD512 but DSD256 is pretty overkill anyway... this is where modular DAC/Amp can allow you to get longer battery life with a stock single DAC not to mention get higher spec’ed and/or lower consumption future DAC chips.

I don’t see the N6ii having 10 motherboard anytime soon as it’s probably more R&D and build constraints to motherboards vs AMPs for DX***

I personally prefer N6ii/A01 over DX220/AMP9 but of course your mileage may vary as we all have different preferences...

Thank you for supporting N6ii/A01, it is a very good all-rounder indeed.

The shorter battery life of T01 is NOT directly result from dual DAC, the following components consumes more battery than an extra DAC chipset:
  • Dual PGA2311a digitally controlled analogue volume
  • Four pieces of premium grade I/V converter
Anyways, simple numbers don't tells the whole story, typical example is two DAC chipset didn't always offer better resolution or detail than one DAC chipset. Yes, I am talking about designs with two different DAC chipset. I can accept that if everything else remain equal, system based on two AK4997 is better then one AK4497.

T01-Sales-Guide-EN_03.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 19, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #2,187 of 8,192
I am extremely excited when the N6ii/YB04 tour reviewers started to contribute their impression, and at the same time we have more user impressions coming in sharing their observations on T01 vs A01. We are not saying that T01 is better, they are both our wholehearted designs at the same quality level. We want to offer more alternatives to ours customers, satisfying different audio playback preference. So we were very curious when the majority opinion believe that T01 and A01 sound the same, or almost the same. In fact, that's why we design the tour to include both A01 and T01, we hope the difference between T01 and A01 will be better revealed when they get to match with more IEMS and music genre. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,189 of 8,192
So does the N6ii sound great with Legend X, Phantom and A12t

The pairing with Legend X is magnificent! The clarity, dynamics, and depth are as high as I've ever heard them.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #2,190 of 8,192
The pairing with Legend X is magnificent! The clarity, dynamics, and depth are as high as I've ever heard them.

Thanks! Now if I hear about the A12t and a Phantom, I may pull the trigger! Not interested in spending money on $2,000+ DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back