Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 5, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,013 of 8,214
Oct 6, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #2,014 of 8,214
Have you ever had a listening session where everything aligns in perfect harmony... everything but the music just disappeared? Where the artist seems to be there with you? I just did.... and it’s pure magic!!!

As it turns out getting the Cayin N6ii was such a great move and it totally changes things for me with the N6ii / FIBAE7 / Dunu Hulk combo right now I feel like nothing is missing (like a setup fully customized for my personal preferences) and it’s an eerie feeling so much so that during that session when biological needs told me that I had to stop that 6 hours stretch for a bit I begun worrying that it would fleet and disappear... I was almost scared to take the FIBAE7 out of my ears, mind you!

If its out of the box , trust me wait when it reaches 50 or so hours and pow the sound will open up , get detailed and punch low.

Oh my you were right and I am not even at 50 hours...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #2,015 of 8,214
Have you ever had a listening session where everything aligns in perfect harmony... everything but the music just disappeared? Where the artist seems to be there with you? I just did.... and it’s pure magic!!!

As it turns out getting the Cayin N6ii was such a great move and it totally changes things for me with the N6ii / FIBAE7 / Dunu Hulk combo right now I feel like nothing is missing (like a setup fully customized for my personal preferences) and it’s an eerie feeling so much so that during that session when biological needs told me that I had to stop that 6 hours stretch for a bit I begun worrying that it would fleet and disappear... I was almost scared to take the FIBAE7 out of my ears, mind you!

Oh my you were right and I am not even at 50 hours...

Do you think this is progress against dx220? Or they present a rather similar level?

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,016 of 8,214
Do you think this is progress against dx220? Or they present a rather similar level?

Same level performance wise, both have strong technical foundations, good amplification but different signature altogether so it’s really a matter of preferences more than anything. Having both is luxury, might not keep DX220 for financial reasons and personal preferences leans more towards N6ii. DX220 is more open, airy I think most people would say more detailed but that’s a side effect of the signature the N6ii being fuller sounding, more natural. Detail is there but less highlighted so to speak... it’s really close. So far I find the N6ii punchier at least with the IEMs I own... DX220 is almost more laid back contrary to a lot of impressions I have read...to me the thinner presentation is less fatiguing with less impact.

Also, it will depend on synergy with your gear. I haven’t heard T01 so I don’t know how closer it would sound to DX220 / AMP1 mk2 for example, if it’s closer then having both my not be necessary... but from what I have read it seems this is not night and day differences between A01/T01.

I’d like to see clear difference between motherboards... I sure would love a A-02 with a dual AK4497EQ even if it’s at the expense of the battery life or a T-02 with the 1793 I loved on the iDSD Micro BL.

But of course if E-01 is a NuTube motherboard then it’s the first thing I would get :D

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,018 of 8,214
Agreed. I’ve heard E01 amp module is going to be good match for N6ii. I can’t wait to listen to that combination. :smile_phones:

Somebody has any kind of information?
Looked like earsay and unconfirmed pics... or I misread / missed the info

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,019 of 8,214
Still waiting for a tube module in N6ii before I commit. Already have a SR15 & SP1000M, so just want a different flavour to complement the usual SS type sound. N8 is too big for my preference... maybe a N7 is in the works? :D

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #2,020 of 8,214
Today is the last day of tour application, if anyone interested in checking out N6ii and YB04 as a tour reviewer, sign up immediately, this is an incredible package that you shouldn't miss. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2,022 of 8,214
You cannot downgrade to a previous firmware, this is a requirement when Google Play is installed in an Android device. Google assumes that downgrading firmware might affect compatibility of installed App, hence required all manufacturer to enforce this practise when we pre-install Google Play in a device. You can consult Android for more detail.

You can cross-flash as long as you don't downgrade to a previous version, so this is a one way ticket.

You can download the N6ii International firmware and install on your player manually, instruction has been provided on our firmware announcement page. Be reminded that you are not allowed to rollback your firmware, you can only update to a newer version, that's the limitation of open Android device with Google Play installed.

Receive an update from Service Engineer that N6ii cannot be flashed from Chinese firmware to International firmware or vice versa. This was possible with our Android 5.1 based N5ii and N5iiS but not available to the N6ii which is Android 8.1 based.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and all the inconvenience caused.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #2,023 of 8,214
Greetings. Is here anyone who installed Google play on Chinese firmware?

You can't. The nearest alternative is to install third party software marketplace such as APKPure, that should have most popular Audio based Android APP available.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,024 of 8,214
Still waiting for a tube module in N6ii before I commit. Already have a SR15 & SP1000M, so just want a different flavour to complement the usual SS type sound. N8 is too big for my preference... maybe a N7 is in the works? :D

There isn't any N7 in our current product roadmap, which mean nothing along this line is going to happen within 18 months even when someone proposed N7 tomorrow.

By the way, you don't need tube amplification to make a different from SR15 and SP1000M, especially if you widen your choice of earphones to Hybrids with dynamics drivers or the recently electrostatic or piezoelectric alternatives, but you have to check these out in person.

Last edited:

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #2,025 of 8,214
So I got myself a N6ii with A01 and I must say... I am so :heart_eyes: right now, this is a highly refined and musical DAP... a rich, soulful, textured sound granted the DX220 is more technical and reference but the N6ii matches my preferences so well... bliss!

Got a set of N6ii already? I was working on the tour list and just put you as the first reviewer in the Europe group, should i rework my plan now? By the way, this is a happy problem. :beerchug:

I have left it on default right now, but I’ll sure play with them, although I don’t know the AK filters as well as the ESS ones but it should be close anyway...

Edit : As it turns out, I hear much more differences between filters with the N6ii AK DAC as compared to what I am used to with ESS DACs on the DX220 and R6 Pro... slow roll off is less punchy but nicer to my ears...

Generally speaking, when an amplifier is more transparent, it will review the upstream changes more prominently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back