Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #991 of 8,191
Cayin n6 mk2 uses same software as Hiby or Cayin develop their own?
If Cayin uses Hiby software then will it hit into the same battery issue listed here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dh...L67KiTQ7wu9pgtWsY3FCEQL0rLqA2gBZlp2OScPU3811g

And can someone help install apple music to see if it can run on cayin n6 or not? thanks

As of today, we didn't notice similar problem in N6ii. The battery drain problems reported in this thread is related to WiFi, once you turn off the WiFi, the standby duration extended to a fairly acceptable level.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #992 of 8,191
@Andykong
Does hiby link work on iPhone over bt?

Yes, it works, but the user experience is not as good as Android device, the Bluetooth capability of iPhone is limited and this affect the responsiveness of operation and the resolution of Album Art is downgraded.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #993 of 8,191
Meze Audio will have a N6ii in their CanJam SoCal setup (Private Room Newport Beach), you can audition N6ii with their Rai Penta and Empyrean, if you are anywhere near southern California and is interested in N6ii, please drop by and check out the Cayin/Meze combo at this wonderful event.

CanJam SoCal 2019
Irvine Marriott
18000 Von Karman Avenue
Irvine, California 92612
USA

Saturday, June 22, 2019
10am to 6pm

Sunday, June 23, 2019
10am to 5pm

Last edited:

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #994 of 8,191
I had to hold the power button down for what seemed like almost thirty seconds to get mine to power on this morning. Uh-oh, I hope this isn't an early warning sign of problems, I really couldn't be without an N6ii in my life.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #995 of 8,191
I had to hold the power button down for what seemed like almost thirty seconds to get mine to power on this morning. Uh-oh, I hope this isn't an early warning sign of problems, I really couldn't be without an N6ii in my life.

This is the protective mechanism of Qualcomm CPU. Your N6ii must have been powered off accidentally and entered protected mode. typical scenario is the player was power off by holding the power button down for 12 second, or some hard subject has pressed the On/Off button continuously. With other CPU, you can connect the player to a charger and wake it up, but Qualcomm has disable the power management completely at protected mode, so the only way to wake up the player is to hold the power button for 15s.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #996 of 8,191
This is the protective mechanism of Qualcomm CPU. Your N6ii must have been powered off accidentally and entered protected mode. typical scenario is the player was power off by holding the power button down for 12 second, or some hard subject has pressed the On/Off button continuously. With other CPU, you can connect the player to a charger and wake it up, but Qualcomm has disable the power management completely at protected mode, so the only way to wake up the player is to hold the power button for 15s.

Thank you for your reply Andy, I was charging it with a QC3 charger when I shut it down (just trying to put a few extra % into the battery), but I'm sure I shut it down using the Power off option. Oh well In the future I will refrain from shutting down whilst charging just in case.

I'm currently observing the 20-80% rule for charging and its working quite well. Decent battery life for a day's use and high cycle life too hopefully.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #997 of 8,191
Thank you for your reply Andy, I was charging it with a QC3 charger when I shut it down (just trying to put a few extra % into the battery), but I'm sure I shut it down using the Power off option. Oh well In the future I will refrain from shutting down whilst charging just in case.

I'm currently observing the 20-80% rule for charging and its working quite well. Decent battery life for a day's use and high cycle life too hopefully.

Actually you can give it a try under a controlled environment, hold the power button to force the N6ii to power off, if the DAP is in similar status as what you have experienced earlier on today, then we can confirmed that you have entered Qualcomm's protected mode. The test won't cost any damage to your player, its a nice experience, once you go through this, you'll remember how to recover from it later on.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #998 of 8,191
Getting the ball rolling on our side also with the N6ii - an initial impression and unboxing now published. FYI - A very snappy OS implementation!

https://headfonics.com/2019/06/cayon-n6ii-first-contact/

DSCF1446-1.jpg

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,000 of 8,191
Credit to our US dealer MusicTeck, Sendy Audio will have a N6ii in their CanJam SoCal setup (booth A2), you can audition N6ii with all Sendy Audio headphones, if you are anywhere near southern California and is interested in N6ii, please drop by and check out the Cayin/Sendy Audio combo at this wonderful event.

CanJam SoCal 2019
Irvine Marriott
18000 Von Karman Avenue
Irvine, California 92612
USA

Saturday, June 22, 2019
10am to 6pm

Sunday, June 23, 2019
10am to 5pm

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #1,001 of 8,191
Got my hands on the N6II.

Does anyone notice a hiss (somewhat like a slight background noise) on streaming services like Tidal + Qobuz?

When stopping / pausing a track the hissing will persist for perhaps 2 seconds and then disappear.

Other than that, all seems great so far.

Listening on it via a Fearless S8F, balanced.

On SE i don't seem to hear it.

( Via my UERR CIEMs )

On the balanced out, there seems to be electrical interference, much akin to that of a noisy USB port.

There is a very good chance that the interference comes from the headphone cable. If you can't detect any interference form 3.5mm, then the analogue circuit is clean. The different between 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone output is ground connection: 3.5mm headphone output is grounded, so the cable are shielded naturally; 4.4mm headphones cable are not grounded, so the cable become a RF antenna.

Beside, the WiFi and bluetooth module is in the main chassis of N6ii, and the analogue circuit is shielded in aluminum case of Audio Motherboard, so there shouldn't be any internal interference from the WiF/Bluetooth module to the DAC and analogue audio components.

There are numerous test we can do to verify this.
  1. Replace your Fearless S8F balanced headphone cable with a shielded cable.
  2. Temporarily add DIY shielding to your S8F balanced headphone cable by wrapping a layer of aluminum foil from the 2.5 or 4.4 headphone connector to the Y-Splitter
  3. Move the balanced headphone cable away from the N6ii or mobile phone, stretch the headphone cable to a straight line away from these RF devices also help to reduce the level of interference.
Try one of these, if the interference disappeared or reduced significantly, then my theory is sustained.

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,002 of 8,191
@Andykong Hi Andy, i tried to use cayin n6ii as transport with wa11, but no sound. tried my mobile phone with wa11 and it work fine. please advice.
*edit i use usb c to usb c, usb c and otg, reverse the cable, still nothing. tried with WA8, tried with hugo2, also not work.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,003 of 8,191
@Andykong Hi Andy, i tried to use cayin n6ii as transport with wa11, but no sound. tried my mobile phone with wa11 and it work fine. please advice.

Don't have WA11, but was looking at the spec of this Topaz dac/amp. Just my 2cents, but in my opinion using it as DAC (with older es9018) could be a downgrade in sound quality with N6ii as a transport. The strength of WA11 Topaz is its enormous output power (1.2W @ 30 ohm), so perhaps going 4.4mm BAL Line Out from N6ii into WA11 4.4mm BAL Line In will be a better solution for this pair up? And I'm sure you can extend WA11 battery life when bypassing its DAC.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,004 of 8,191
Don't have WA11, but was looking at the spec of this Topaz dac/amp. Just my 2cents, but in my opinion using it as DAC (with older es9018) could be a downgrade in sound quality with N6ii as a transport. The strength of WA11 Topaz is its enormous output power (1.2W @ 30 ohm), so perhaps going 4.4mm BAL Line Out from N6ii into WA11 4.4mm BAL Line In will be a better solution for this pair up? And I'm sure you can extend WA11 battery life when bypassing its DAC.
Hi Bro, thx for advice, but sadly, currently i dont have 4.4 to 4.4.
im planning to use topaz internal dac because from my previous experience with wa8, i dont like the sound from 3.5 input from hugo2 to wa8, prefer the internal dac, so im thinking to keep using the internal dac of topaz. i saw the spec of cayin n6ii and it suppose to have usb audio out utilizing DTA.
i tried to use n6ii as transport with hugo2 and wa8 and still no go.
my dx220 (some noise clicking), huawei, lgv20, all of them working fine with topaz and other dac.
so im thinking maybe there is a way to switch on the usb audio out or maybe the usb out audio feature is not there yet.

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #1,005 of 8,191
Hi Bro, thx for advice, but sadly, currently i dont have 4.4 to 4.4.
im planning to use topaz internal dac because from my previous experience with wa8, i dont like the sound from 3.5 input from hugo2 to wa8, prefer the internal dac, so im thinking to keep using the internal dac of topaz. i saw the spec of cayin n6ii and it suppose to have usb audio out utilizing DTA.
i tried to use n6ii as transport with hugo2 and wa8 and still no go.
my dx220 (some noise clicking), huawei, lgv20, all of them working fine with topaz and other dac.
so im thinking maybe there is a way to switch on the usb audio out or maybe the usb out audio feature is not there yet.

I connected the N6ii and Chord Mojo the other day and it works perfectly with either a type-c to micro b usb cable or type-c to coaxial cable (for Mojo and Hugo2). No change of settings needed as Mojo was detected instantly.

Maybe try another cable or do a factory reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back