Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 4, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #7,817 of 8,192
Oh yes, my options are quite obvious:

1. Try to get it repaired. Maybe have to send it to Cayin in China. I hope to get help from the German importer (who actually seems to be the inventor/owner of the Cayin brand name for Zhuhai Spark Electronics?), in order to reduce shipment hassles and wait time.

2. Get a used N6ii main unit, without modules. But, what would it have experienced before?

3. Leave the N6ii path and get another DAP. Cayin N8ii or FiiO M17, or what? I have been following the N8ii thread here almost all the time, and I am aware of its stumbling stones. And yes, I would be very anxious wrt Cayin DAPs now, the N8ii might be seriously sensitive as well at more than double the price. Would others be more sturdy - this word seems to be calling for too much? Cf. my last post above, where I said to be a very careful person, babying my gear …

4. Leave the DAP path for good. Downgrade myself to my RU6 plus iPhone. Test the flimsy Cayin lightning-to-USB_C cable for durability …

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #7,818 of 8,192

1. Try to get it repaired. Maybe have to send it to Cayin in China. I hope to get help from the German importer (who actually seems to be the inventor/owner of the Cayin brand name for Zhuhai Spark Electronics?), in order to reduce shipment hassles and wait time.

2. Get a used N6ii main unit, without modules. But, what would it have experienced before?

3. Leave the N6ii path and get another DAP. Cayin N8ii or FiiO M17, or what? I have been following the N8ii thread here almost all the time, and I am aware of its stumbling stones. And yes, I would be very anxious wrt Cayin DAPs now, the N8ii might be seriously sensitive as well at more than double the price. Would others be more sturdy - this word seems to be calling for too much? Cf. my last post above, where I said to be a very careful person, babying my gear …

4. Leave the DAP path for good. Downgrade myself to my RU6 plus iPhone. Test the flimsy Cayin lightning-to-USB_C cable for durability …
err i'd be careful with another n6ii, first one i had i traded with someone and when it arrived it arrived dead, that small fall could easily happen again in shipping.. then again the other ones i had were fine. there's the hiby rs6 which is both r2r and has line out, dx300 / 240, the new shanling m7 etc etc. also a lot of used dx220max and 300max going around for very cheap.

May 7, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #7,819 of 8,192
I‘m a bit lost. My N6ii has become unresponsive to any actions of mine on the screen.

I had not used it for maybe two weeks. Pressing the power button makes it boot up fine, it shows the two logo screens (Cayin and Never be the same again), then it ends up with the lock screen. Battery indicator is at 45%, WiFi is active, it shows Google Play updates.

However, I cannot unlock it at all. Swiping up from the home button, correct? (Have been on my iPhone for too long.).

Pressing the power button a bit longer lets the Switch off / Restart selector come up, but I don‘t get any action from it.

Pressing the power button very long let’s it shutdown, without any on-screen indication (Return soon or s.th. like this).

Pressing the power button lets it start fresh. Same unresponsiveness of the screen.

Please, help and advice needed. Ultimately, worst case scenario, I suspect the screen might have disconnected or is broken??? No signs of any bad treatment on the outside.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I hooked it up to its usual charger (tested for proper functioning first). Strange behavior: With the N6ii off, I don‘t get the pulsating home button and no little battery on the screen; no signs of life. Switching it on shows that the battery percentage indicator in the status bar goes up, from 45 to 50% within like 10 minutes. Still no screen responsiveness at all.
I did a factory reset now. The procedure itself went well, but rebooting the system lets me get stuck at the language selection step. No way to choose/enter the language via screen touches. The physical wheel at this point changes the volume, doesn’t do the selection. BRICKED.

So I got the verdict now: The touch screen very probably is broken, as a display it still works. Have to consider my options going forward now.

If this is true then I am fairly shocked and disappointed. I consider myself very careful, in general, and in particular with my audio gear, almost to the extent of an OCD. I had not used my N6ii for the past two weeks or so, while I rearranged my HiFi rack and part of the room. The N6ii (always in stock case) must have been put on a surface just a bit too firmly or in an unlucky orientation - so faintly that it went by unnoticed. Fellow folks, be alerted!

@Andykong, any recommendations for me?

Sorry, didn't notice your question until today. :pray:

This looks like a hardware problem. The screen is still working, but you lost touch screen capability completely, and there is strange screen-related behavior here and there. I can think of several possibilities here. It can be as simple as a broken ribbon cable between the PCB and display panel or a faulty panel. There is a remote chance that the components in the power supply circuit to the screen failed and didn't hold the charge correctly, hence causing all the strange behavior and touch screen failure.

You should contact your Cayin dealer or the shop that sells you the N6ii, they should provide necessary help even when the DAP has expired its warranty. They have the paperwork to send the unit back to China tax-free and at a lower shipping cost. You can also email our repair and service department at service@cayin.cn if the dealer is no longer supporting Cayin products.

I fully understand the frustration, especially when the problem bothered you for several days without receiving any help. However, I want to remain, everyone, that when you run into a serious problem that you need support urgently, please contact your dealer as soon as possible. I can't cover the after-sales service single-handed, your dealer is always your first line support. I feel so sorry that your problem was unattended in the past few days because I was occupied by other projects (HA-300MK2 related.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #7,820 of 8,192

Maybe send to NP Audio in the UK, I had an N8 screen replaced there.

May 7, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #7,821 of 8,192
Thank you, mate. What I think is this:
1. A factory reset would delete my user data, sure. I‘d take the SD card out, of course.
2. And it would bring Android into some original state - but what precisely?
3. Depending on no. 2, would I lose my user-installed apps and their settings? What about those licenses purchased on Google Play? I have UAPP incl. Equalizer, Neutron, Total Commander, maybe more. Qobuz and Tidal would be fine, though (reinstall and enter the subscription codes).

Thus, I would like to wait for a reply from @Andykong. In particular, since I am most likely suspecting a hardware problem (completely unresponsive touch screen, while Android seems to be running). Less likely there seems to be an Android problem. In between, there could be a Qualcomm CPU issue.

Factory reset will remove all user accounts, user information, and third-party applications from the device. You have to go through device initialization after a factory reset. The license purchased on Google pay is tied up with your Google account, they are not device-based installation, so you should have no problem installing the application again if you sign up with the same Google Play account after a factory reset.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7,822 of 8,192
I’ve had my N6ii and all modules up for sale but I think I may keep it. Lots of variety of sounds plus fits in my pocket plus won’t get anywhere near its worth in money from a buyer

May 8, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #7,823 of 8,192

You should contact your Cayin dealer or the shop that sells you the N6ii, they should provide necessary help even when the DAP has expired its warranty. They have the paperwork to send the unit back to China tax-free and at a lower shipping cost. You can also email our repair and service department at service@cayin.cn if the dealer is no longer supporting Cayin products.
Yes, exactly - thank you. Channeling a repair through the German importer/ distributor looks perfect. Swift, comprehensive and helpful communication; fully up to the task.Time needed - it is at it is.

May 8, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #7,824 of 8,192
I just bought a used N6ii with R01 module, waiting for it to be delivered. I have no experience prior with Android DAP’s or any Cayin products but always heard good things about Cayin.
Coming from simple Linux based DAP’s like Cowon and Sony, Android seems like a different game. Never bothered to get one because I never used to stream, even to this day but gonna give Apple Music a try when I am in the comforts of my home Wi-Fi. Is there any advice for an Android/N6ii newbie? I have read the battery drain could be pretty heavy with N6ii, is there something I could do to help save some battery by disabling some not so important functions? I only have iem’s so that’s what I’ll be using.
Planning to do a factory reset and start new, is there any specific music player apps you guys recommend? I have a huge library of digital albums so will be playing mostly through memory card and some streaming, it will be 70%local files from the card and 30% streaming via Apple Music probably. Got to know the pre installed Cayin music player and Hiby Music is the same, my question is if one is better like Hiby app being more well known, wouldn’t it get better/more frequent updates? Or is there a difference music player you recommend? I just want one which is easy to use and can handle large library. Any other apps recommend other than music player and Apple Music? I am guessing since it’s an android platform, I can install everything like on a phone? I want to install Bandcamp app, hoping that’s possible as well. Is there FW upgrades on Android DAP’s?
Pretty much I just need good sound and decent battery life but ofcourse I know with Wi-Fi and android getting a decent battery life is too much to ask but if there’s options to save a little battery by disabling certain unnecessary features or uninstalling few pre installed apps it would be good. I would also like to know if there’s any drop proof case for N6ii, not the more luxurious leather ones but something that can take a beating? Maybe Silicone ones? My WM1A had a bunch of aftermarket options, couldn’t find much for N6ii, any leads?
Thanks for your time and happy to finally be a part of N6ii family.

May 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #7,825 of 8,192
I just bought a used N6ii with R01 module, waiting for it to be delivered. I have no experience prior with Android DAP’s or any Cayin products but always heard good things about Cayin.
Coming from simple Linux based DAP’s like Cowon and Sony, Android seems like a different game. Never bothered to get one because I never used to stream, even to this day but gonna give Apple Music a try when I am in the comforts of my home Wi-Fi. Is there any advice for an Android/N6ii newbie? I have read the battery drain could be pretty heavy with N6ii, is there something I could do to help save some battery by disabling some not so important functions? I only have iem’s so that’s what I’ll be using.
Planning to do a factory reset and start new, is there any specific music player apps you guys recommend? I have a huge library of digital albums so will be playing mostly through memory card and some streaming, it will be 70%local files from the card and 30% streaming via Apple Music probably. Got to know the pre installed Cayin music player and Hiby Music is the same, my question is if one is better like Hiby app being more well known, wouldn’t it get better/more frequent updates? Or is there a difference music player you recommend? I just want one which is easy to use and can handle large library. Any other apps recommend other than music player and Apple Music? I am guessing since it’s an android platform, I can install everything like on a phone? I want to install Bandcamp app, hoping that’s possible as well. Is there FW upgrades on Android DAP’s?
Pretty much I just need good sound and decent battery life but ofcourse I know with Wi-Fi and android getting a decent battery life is too much to ask but if there’s options to save a little battery by disabling certain unnecessary features or uninstalling few pre installed apps it would be good. I would also like to know if there’s any drop proof case for N6ii, not the more luxurious leather ones but something that can take a beating? Maybe Silicone ones? My WM1A had a bunch of aftermarket options, couldn’t find much for N6ii, any leads?
my last dap before n6ii is ibasso dx120 that run linux based manggo O.S and with Android based dap they usually consume twice as much power but nothiny to worry they still have decent run time, except if u use E02 module or E01 with A class amp. just prompt the airplane mode and connect to wifi if u want to stream, if not just turn off the wifi. display brightness set to low. don't install unnecessary apps, don't fotget to update the N6ii firmware to the latest. for music player for my liking i refer to cayin own or hiby / fiio, but i like cayin sound for my taste. u can get silicone transparent case that cover them quite well & they come with the screen protector too, search them at aliexpress.

hope that help.

May 9, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #7,826 of 8,192

my last dap before n6ii is ibasso dx120 that run linux based manggo O.S and with Android based dap they usually consume twice as much power but nothiny to worry they still have decent run time, except if u use E02 module or E01 with A class amp. just prompt the airplane mode and connect to wifi if u want to stream, if not just turn off the wifi. display brightness set to low. don't install unnecessary apps, don't fotget to update the N6ii firmware to the latest. for music player for my liking i refer to cayin own or hiby / fiio, but i like cayin sound for my taste. u can get silicone transparent case that cover them quite well & they come with the screen protector too, search them at aliexpress.

hope that help.
Just a few recommendations:

Factory reset, then boot and set up Android. Thereafter, check for system updates.

Music player apps for local and home network files (available from Google Play Store as well as apk download sites):
1. UAPP is almost THE standard on Android. Works well with the N6ii.
2. Neutron as well, just the GUI is a bit more complicated.

Streaming:
1. My top streaming service is Qobuz. They have their own stand-alone app, and UAPP interfaces with them.
2. Maybe Tidal, if you like MQA. Own app, and interface within UAPP.

With that, you will be pretty much settled.

If you need a file manager:
Total Commander (very similar to the Windows version)

Hope that helps.

May 9, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #7,827 of 8,192

hope that help.
Thanks for the suggestions, I just ordered the silicone case, hope it helps protect. Is there sound difference between music players like cayin/hiby and others?

May 9, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #7,828 of 8,192

Factory reset, then boot and set up Android. Thereafter, check for system updates.

Music player apps for local and home network files (available from Google Play Store as well as apk download sites):

Streaming:
1. My top streaming service is Qobuz. They have their own stand-alone app, and UAPP interfaces with them.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I plan to do that. How is UAPP or Neutron different when compared with Hiby/Cayin music player?
I will be mostly playing from my SD card and only streaming will be limited to apple music and bandcamp. I am sure there won’t be any kinda integration with bandcamp and any of these music players but what about apple music? Does any of these apps support Apple Music?

May 9, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #7,829 of 8,192
@Vruksha - You'll enjoy the N6ii. I ended up using UAPP as well - mostly because I've always used it on my Android DAPs. I did hate the Hiby player which I tried for a short time; just felt slow and unintuitive to me.

I used the Apple Music android app too. I decided against the Hires ALAC and just went with the normal lossless. Whatever the difference is with hires, I just couldn't hear it with my mid-range headphones (Sennheiser IE900, Kennerton GH40s, and Meze Elites).

The biggest thing I did was install a simplistic launcher to make my android experience as minimalist as possible. My favorite is Niagara Launcher.

May 9, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #7,830 of 8,192

Streaming:

Hope that helps.
while everything is pretty much summed up here, i'd advise using neutron over uapp for local files, there's no competition when it comes to sq, neutron takes it to the next level :) surprisingly easy Ui too, and smooth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back