Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 3, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #7,801 of 8,192
I‘m a bit lost. My N6ii has become unresponsive to any actions of mine on the screen.

I had not used it for maybe two weeks. Pressing the power button makes it boot up fine, it shows the two logo screens (Cayin and Never be the same again), then it ends up with the lock screen. Battery indicator is at 45%, WiFi is active, it shows Google Play updates.

However, I cannot unlock it at all. Swiping up from the home button, correct? (Have been on my iPhone for too long.).

Pressing the power button a bit longer lets the Switch off / Restart selector come up, but I don‘t get any action from it.

Pressing the power button very long let’s it shutdown, without any on-screen indication (Return soon or s.th. like this).

Pressing the power button lets it start fresh. Same unresponsiveness of the screen.

Please, help and advice needed. Ultimately, worst case scenario, I suspect the screen might have disconnected or is broken??? No signs of any bad treatment on the outside.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I hooked it up to its usual charger (tested for proper functioning first). Strange behavior: With the N6ii off, I don‘t get the pulsating home button and no little battery on the screen; no signs of life. Switching it on shows that the battery percentage indicator in the status bar goes up, from 45 to 50% within like 10 minutes. Still no screen responsiveness at all.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #7,802 of 8,192
anyone here made a direct comparison of a02+c9 vs r01? can't find one anywhere.

btw, selling my n6ii ti if anyone's interested :)
I moved from the A01 to R01 module with my N6ii and found the sound to be more engaging and organic. It was like listening to a hi res stream then playing the same album from an LP. The C9 adds scale, depth and clarity to headphones which need more driving power. If you are travelling light then an N6ii/R01 is a delightful portable system, but if you have more space then the A02 with C9 is a grander sound with scale and will drive even hard to drive headphones and you would think you are listening to a full desktop system.

Does that help?

May 3, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #7,803 of 8,192
I moved from the A01 to R01 module with my N6ii and found the sound to be more engaging and organic. It was like listening to a hi res stream then playing the same album from an LP. The C9 adds scale, depth and clarity to headphones which need more driving power. If you are travelling light then an N6ii/R01 is a delightful portable system, but if you have more space then the A02 with C9 is a grander sound with scale and will drive even hard to drive headphones and you would think you are listening to a full desktop system.

Does that help?
yes, thank you :)

May 3, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #7,807 of 8,192
I‘m a bit lost. My N6ii has become unresponsive to any actions of mine on the screen.

I had not used it for maybe two weeks. Pressing the power button makes it boot up fine, it shows the two logo screens (Cayin and Never be the same again), then it ends up with the lock screen. Battery indicator is at 45%, WiFi is active, it shows Google Play updates.

However, I cannot unlock it at all. Swiping up from the home button, correct? (Have been on my iPhone for too long.).

Pressing the power button a bit longer lets the Switch off / Restart selector come up, but I don‘t get any action from it.

Pressing the power button very long let’s it shutdown, without any on-screen indication (Return soon or s.th. like this).

Pressing the power button lets it start fresh. Same unresponsiveness of the screen.

Please, help and advice needed. Ultimately, worst case scenario, I suspect the screen might have disconnected or is broken??? No signs of any bad treatment on the outside.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I hooked it up to its usual charger (tested for proper functioning first). Strange behavior: With the N6ii off, I don‘t get the pulsating home button and no little battery on the screen; no signs of life. Switching it on shows that the battery percentage indicator in the status bar goes up, from 45 to 50% within like 10 minutes. Still no screen responsiveness at all.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...ly-modularized-smart-dap.904153/post-16362523

maybe u can give it a try mate.

May 3, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #7,808 of 8,192
Thank you, mate. What I think is this:
1. A factory reset would delete my user data, sure. I‘d take the SD card out, of course.
2. And it would bring Android into some original state - but what precisely?
3. Depending on no. 2, would I lose my user-installed apps and their settings? What about those licenses purchased on Google Play? I have UAPP incl. Equalizer, Neutron, Total Commander, maybe more. Qobuz and Tidal would be fine, though (reinstall and enter the subscription codes).

Thus, I would like to wait for a reply from @Andykong. In particular, since I am most likely suspecting a hardware problem (completely unresponsive touch screen, while Android seems to be running). Less likely there seems to be an Android problem. In between, there could be a Qualcomm CPU issue.

May 3, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #7,809 of 8,192
In the meantime, it got charged to 98% as per the Android status bar. I swapped modules to exclude a fault.

I can make the N6ii boot only by pressing the wheel for >12 seconds, and it can be turned off only by a >12 s press.

When it is on, volume adjustment via wheel works. The Play/Pause and Skip buttons do work, too, as is indicated by a UAPP status bar appearing across the Lock Screen. I have no idea how UAPP got launched, though.

There is just no response to touches or swipes on the screen, it remains locked.

I should also mention that my N6ii never got a bad treatment, never dropped on the floor, placed firmly on a table. Always in its stock case. I mean, my iPhone should feel heavily mistreated in comparison.

@Andykong, whenever you read this …

EDIT: My first post is the first one on this page 521.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #7,810 of 8,192
Thank you, mate. What I think is this:
1. A factory reset would delete my user data, sure. I‘d take the SD card out, of course.
2. And it would bring Android into some original state - but what precisely?
3. Depending on no. 2, would I lose my user-installed apps and their settings? What about those licenses purchased on Google Play? I have UAPP incl. Equalizer, Neutron, Total Commander, maybe more. Qobuz and Tidal would be fine, though (reinstall and enter the subscription codes).

Thus, I would like to wait for a reply from @Andykong. In particular, since I am most likely suspecting a hardware problem (completely unresponsive touch screen, while Android seems to be running). Less likely there seems to be an Android problem. In between, there could be a Qualcomm CPU issue.
i believe it a factory reset & u should take out your memory card.

May 3, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7,811 of 8,192

Thanks in advance.

i believe it a factory reset & u should take out your memory card.
If factory reset does not work - I don’t think it will…
I believe that you have fried your touch screen.
It has happened to me twice before. Everything is fine but you can’t do anything on the screen.

Unfortunately your screen most likely needs replacing.

Sorry for delivering bad news…

I hope I am wrong…
But my personal experience indicates this is what it very well could be.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #7,812 of 8,192
Thanks - I‘m afraid your ”bad news“ might be closer to reality… I can do a factory reset tomorrow morning (Germany), and I sincerely hope Andy will read this thread page before and have some advice for me… Let me see. What you say - ”they don‘t take a slight fall very well“ - is disheartening, since I wouldn‘t know of anything serious having happened.

May 3, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #7,813 of 8,192
Thanks - I‘m afraid your ”bad news“ might be closer to reality… I can do a factory reset tomorrow morning (Germany), and I sincerely hope Andy will read this thread page before and have some advice for me… Let me see. What you say - ”they don‘t take a slight fall very well“ - is disheartening, since I wouldn‘t know of anything serious having
Sent you a PM

May 4, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #7,814 of 8,192
I did a factory reset now. The procedure itself went well, but rebooting the system lets me get stuck at the language selection step. No way to choose/enter the language via screen touches. The physical wheel at this point changes the volume, doesn’t do the selection. BRICKED.

So I got the verdict now: The touch screen very probably is broken, as a display it still works. Have to consider my options going forward now.

If this is true then I am fairly shocked and disappointed. I consider myself very careful, in general, and in particular with my audio gear, almost to the extent of an OCD. I had not used my N6ii for the past two weeks or so, while I rearranged my HiFi rack and part of the room. The N6ii (always in stock case) must have been put on a surface just a bit too firmly or in an unlucky orientation - so faintly that it went by unnoticed. Fellow folks, be alerted!

@Andykong, any recommendations for me?

May 4, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #7,815 of 8,192
I did a factory reset now. The procedure itself went well, but rebooting the system lets me get stuck at the language selection step. No way to choose/enter the language via screen touches. The physical wheel at this point changes the volume, doesn’t do the selection. BRICKED.

So I got the verdict now: The touch screen very probably is broken, as a display it still works. Have to consider my options going forward now.

If this is true then I am fairly shocked and disappointed. I consider myself very careful, in general, and in particular with my audio gear, almost to the extent of an OCD. I had not used my N6ii for the past two weeks or so, while I rearranged my HiFi rack and part of the room. The N6ii (always in stock case) must have been put on a surface just a bit too firmly or in an unlucky orientation - so faintly that it went by unnoticed. Fellow folks, be alerted!

@Andykong, any recommendations for me?
N8ii. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back