Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #6,286 of 8,191
I'm using Neutron 2.17.4 (ARM64) on N6ii (v2.3EN), and HW buttons work fine even if the screen is off.
I think these are the related settings on Neutron.
NeutronSetting1.JPG

NeutronSetting2.JPG
Thanks. My settings/FW are exactly the same as yours, but it still doesn't work. Good to know it can work in theory, though.

Let me try to uninstall/reinstall Neutron.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #6,287 of 8,191
I'm using Neutron 2.17.4 (ARM64) on N6ii (v2.3EN), and HW buttons work fine even if the screen is off.
I think these are the related settings on Neutron.

OK, I fixed it. The problem is not with Neutron, but with the settings on the N6ii. On the Lockscreen button settings, these options need to be "off" rather than "on." Rather paradoxical, but it fixed.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #6,288 of 8,191
OK, I fixed it. The problem is not with Neutron, but with the settings on the N6ii. On the Lockscreen button settings, these options need to be "off" rather than "on." Rather paradoxical, but it fixed.
Glad you got the problem solved!

FYI: HW media buttons work fine on Apple Music app (v3.6.0-beta), but they doesn't work at all on Amazon Music app (v17.10.1).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6,289 of 8,191
I am unfortunately experiencing a very disconcerting issue from electrical noises - humming, clicking, sizzling - in my mobile setup consisting of N6ii, C9 and Beyerdynamic Xelento Remote. My interconnect cables are the stock ones that came with the C9, the Xelento is used with its stock 3.5 mm SE cable (no mic/mute) and an ALO Reference 8 4.4 mm BAL cable.

First, how do these noises sound:
  • Like a continuous mains hum, though not exactly at mains frequency
  • Plus continous clicking noises, like an estimated 10 clicks per second
  • Plus superimposed sizzling occurring when nearing a hand towards the N6ii, and a tremendous sizzling like a hot fry pan when touching the N6ii screen
All these noises sound a bit like what musicians on stage create by touching cable plugs or sockets.

Important to remember: These noises are NOT the usual waterfall hissing of the IEM. They are superimposed upon the hissing, and they are much louder than that.

Second, very important to know: No connection whatsoever of any device to any mains wall wart, no chargers, all devices run on their batteries. No computer involved.

Third, the volume of these noises:
  • Very faintly audible (with no audio playing) when I have the various gain and volume settings in my normal listening position, which is not a loud one.
  • Well audible when I increase the volume settings to a higher level at which I would listen to music only for a few seconds.
  • Increasing the volume beyond that point (say like > 1 o'clock on the C9, no audio playing) lets one hear the noises perfectly well and loud.
What I am saying is: Once these noises have been discovered, one gets more and more attentive, and they become more and more disturbing at normal listening levels or a bit above them.

Fourth, triggered by observing that the noises and in particular the sizzling show up when nearing a hand towards the N6ii: I can exclude WiFi as a reason; everything remains exactly the same in Flight Mode.

Here comes the most important part:

Fifth, when do these noises occur?
  • The N6ii needs to be connected to the C9 with the 4.4 mm balanced Cayin stock interconnect for any of the noises to occur. I am using the Line Out of various N6ii DAC/AMP modules. As mentioned in other posts, this BAL cable by design has NO sleeve (ground) connection between its two plugs; out of the five TRRRS points, only the TRRR are connected along the cable.
  • Using the 3.5 mm SE Cayin interconnect between N6ii and C9, all electrical noises are gone. Only the waterfall hissing remains. This cable of TRS type of course has the S's connected.
  • Most importantly, these electrical noises occur very prominently when NO audio is being played by any of the apps, i.e. when the DAC/AMP is disengaged / muted. The engagement / unmuting at Play and disengagement / muting at Stop or Pause can be heard as faint clicks. When an audio replay is being started, the noises disappear to a good extent, i.e. they become very faint. I am using a Digital-Zero test track for this purpose, since real music could mask any noise.
  • The noise level changes when the C9 volume pot is turned up/down and when switching the C9 Gain setting L/H.
  • The noise level does NOT change when changing the N6ii Line Out Gain Lo/Mid/Hi.
  • When I am in a situation where the noises are present, the clicking that emanates from the C9 into the room while the volume pot is being turned becomes a bit louder.
  • The noises do occur alike for the other C9 setings, Timbre SS/Tube, Class AB/A.
Sixth, what do these noises depend on, and what are they independent of?
  • I have discovered these noises only in the chain N6ii with any module -> 4.4 mm TRRRS BAL -> C9 -> any IEM cable type -> Xelento or another IEM.
  • The Beyerdynamic Xelento (16 Ohm, 110 dB @ 1 mW @ 500 Hz) makes them most prominent. They do occur for both a SE and a BAL IEM cable from C9 to the Xelento earpieces. The noise level changes between SE and BAL IEM connections, probably according to the power available at either C9 phone output..
  • Exchanging the Xelento with old Sony 16 Ohm earbuds (SE only) from a NWZ MP3 Walkman, the noises remain. They just are lower in volume, probably because these earbuds are less efficient.
  • Exchanging the Xelento with my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD 800S (SE driven from the C9), everything becomes dead quiet. I guess this is just due to the fact that such a 300 Ohm full-size headphone is no "noise and hiss detective".
  • Exchanging the N6ii modules doesn't change anything. I tested A01 and E02 all line outs SE and BAL -> C9 -> IEM up to now. I could repeat it also for the T01 and A02.
  • I cannot find noises of this kind when the Xelento IEM is hooked up directly to the N6ii, i.e. omitting the C9. There is waterfall hissing, maybe some tiny noise superimposed, but hard to tell. No sizzling when touching the N6ii sceen in this case.
Seventh, I conducted some more tests and exchanges:
  • In order to exclude the Xelento as a sole reason, I used another chain: N6ii -> S/PDIF embedded in USB-C digital output -> Coaxial input into Chord Hugo 2 (on battery) -> 3.5 mm SE IEM cable -> Xelento. Super quiet. Does the Cayin-supplied USB-C to coaxial digital cable provide a "ground" connection between N6ii and Hugo 2?
  • In order to check whether grounding the N6ii would help, I used the chain N6ii -> 4.4 mm BAL -> C9 -> 4.4. mm BAL -> Xelento again and connected the N6ii USB-C input to my laptop USB-A, with the laptop being connected to the mains power and ground. The humming / clicking / sizzling noise in question disappears, the N6ii doesn't react to a hand getting close or to touching the screen anymore. Of course, there are other noises coming from the laptop now, albeit at a lower level.
  • In order to check whether leaving the C9 out of the equation would help, I set up a different chain: N6ii -> iFi 4.4 mm BAL to 2x XLR adapter cable -> desktop headphone amp Violectric HPA V281 -> headphone, where the only usable headphone is my Sennheiser HD 800S. All is super quiet, as maybe was to be expected with the HD 800S.
Eighth, what had I changed before discovering the noises in question?
  • I installed firmware version 2.3EN over 2.2 EN, OTA method, one or two days before observing the noise issue. No problems observed during the process. Kind of hard to imagine that the firmware could be the culprit, but one never knows.
  • No other changes, no software change. Actually, since the noises occur when no audio is being played, no installed software matters.
Nineth and finally, I think I would have discovered this issue earlier, if it had been present. I had done a few checks on waterfall hissing 1.5 months ago when my C9 came in, and I don't think I heard anything like my issue before yesterday. So probably the issue is new; but I am not 100% sure, since initial tests are always conducted in sort of a rush and are not as comprehensive as today.

Well, too bad, I don't have any real idea what to make out of this. I would like to ask for community help here, and I also set a link in the C9 thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...able-headphone-amplifier.943135/post-16412192) in order to reach a wider audience. And of course I would like to ask in particular for your help, dear @Andykong.
  • Any similar observations by anybody?
  • What would you advise as next steps to understand this issue?
  • Could this potentially be an issue created by the interplay between N6ii and C9 due to their designs, more probably the C9's?
  • Is any one or are several of my devices broken?
  • I am very unsure whether a single one out of the two Cayin devices would be a culprit, and which one, or whether it would be both of them? Or any cable? I think I can exclude the Xelento.
  • What would you ultimately advise to check and fix this issue?
I would be scared a bit if the ultimate solution would be to ship one or several of my Cayin devices in for repair. Where to?
I am located in Germany.
My N6ii is 1.5 years old, my C9 a mere 2 months. The Xelento Remote is more than 3 years old.
I bought my N6ii with A01, T01 and E02 from an authorized local dealer nearby.
I actually bought my C9 and A02 from the German importer (Cayin.com, Mr. Thomas Deyerling), who was nice to deal with. (And I have an R01 coming in ...)
Their website mentions a Cayin service in Germany named Lyric Audio run by Mr. Stefan Noll, but my feeling is that he might be more into the big tube amps than personal HiRes audio according to some PR publication.
I would hope for a smooth process to arrive at a solution. On the other hand, sorry to say, I would be a bit afraid of this dreaded deadlock of "ship in" -> "we can't reproduce" -> "explain the symptoms again" -> "yes, we can reproduce now, but that is a normal behavior" -> "but it wasn't there in the beginning" -> "further back and forth" -> "ship back, be months without the gear". A process which I experienced some time ago, though not with Cayin.

I go through your observation quickly, I'll them in detail tomorrow (after midnight in GMT+8 zone).

A quick suggestion, the first uncertainty that we need to exclude from the chain is the C9 stock balanced cable. If you have another 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect, swap out the C9 supplied interconnect and test again, or borrow another 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect from your friend or local shop to make sure this is not a cable problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #6,290 of 8,191
I go through your observation quickly, I'll them in detail tomorrow (after midnight in GMT+8 zone).

A quick suggestion, the first uncertainty that we need to exclude from the chain is the C9 stock balanced cable. If you have another 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect, swap out the C9 supplied interconnect and test again, or borrow another 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect from your friend or local shop to make sure this is not a cable problem.
That‘s why I revived my multimeter and measured the D.C. resistance along the poles of that TRRRS 4.4 mm cable. Measures fine as it should for the TRRR to TRRR, no S connection. Very unfortunately, I don‘t have a spare one, and I don‘t know know anybody who has. Mr. Deyerling (the German importer) would be my only chance. This is Germany, in terms of high-end sort of an emerging country…

Looking forward to what you might say!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #6,291 of 8,191
That‘s why I revived my multimeter and measured the D.C. resistance along the poles of that TRRRS 4.4 mm cable. Measures fine as it should for the TRRR to TRRR, no S connection. Very unfortunately, I don‘t have a spare one, and I don‘t know know anybody who has. Mr. Deyerling (the German importer) would be my only chance. This is Germany, in terms of high-end sort of an emerging country…

Looking forward to what you might say!

We need to eliminate external interference as the cause of your noise problem, so please conduct a small test for us: wrap your 4.4mm interconnect with aluminium foil. This should shield at least 80% of external interference from the 4.4mm short interconnect. If the noise remain unchange, then we can eliminate external interference problem and focus our cross examination on N6ii and C9.

Shield interconect 02.jpg
Shield interconect 01.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #6,292 of 8,191
We need to eliminate external interference as the cause of your noise problem, so please conduct a small test for us: wrap your 4.4mm interconnect with aluminium foil. This should shield at least 80% of external interference from the 4.4mm short interconnect. If the noise remain unchange, then we can eliminate external interference problem and focus our cross examination on N6ii and C9.

Okay, I went into the aluminum business and wrapped my 4.4 mm IC and even my IEM cable, each one alone and both. The IEM cable doesn‘t do anything to the noise. Yes, something is happening with the 4.4 IC:

With the wrapper on and not touching anything, the humming and sizzling are the same as always. However, when I touch the wrapper at one end and squeeze it intensely to the plug housing (without touching anything on the C9/N6ii), the noise disappears. Turning the cable around shows that the sensitive end goes around, too. Touching the other plug and the wrapper around it leaves the noise unchanged. Finally, I unwrapped the cable again, but the noise persists unchanged no matter how intensely and where I touch the sensitive plug without wrapper.

In summary, I can create one situation which lets the noise disappear. So indeed there is something strange with my 4.4 mm IC C9 stock cable going on. Do you think so, too?

If you agree, the next step might be to get another 4.4 mm C9 balanced interconnect cable. This will need Mr. Deyerling‘s help and unfortunately take a while.

But I am very eager to hear any other ideas from you, dear Andy.

Remark: I took some more precautions: All phones off, N6ii in Flight Mode, moved to the basement which reduces WiFi strength from my home router considerably (could have turned router and repeater off, but didn‘t want to do that yet, since the neighbor‘s router is coming in, too).

Remark 2: Photo is with A01.

Remark 3: As reported earlier, the noise exists loudly when there is no audio replay. Of course I also checked that audio is played to the IEM correctly while I touch that sensitive plug and the wrapper. So I guess I don‘t create some short circuiting inside the plug by touching.

Attachments

• 4A6111CB-25ED-4047-B4FA-B4C9EBA3179B.jpeg
    4A6111CB-25ED-4047-B4FA-B4C9EBA3179B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #6,294 of 8,191
1624027077849.png
Okay, I went into the aluminum business and wrapped my 4.4 mm IC and even my IEM cable, each one alone and both. The IEM cable doesn‘t do anything to the noise. Yes, something is happening with the 4.4 IC:

With the wrapper on and not touching anything, the humming and sizzling are the same as always. However, when I touch the wrapper at one end and squeeze it intensely to the plug housing (without touching anything on the C9/N6ii), the noise disappears. Turning the cable around shows that the sensitive end goes around, too. Touching the other plug and the wrapper around it leaves the noise unchanged. Finally, I unwrapped the cable again, but the noise persists unchanged no matter how intensely and where I touch the sensitive plug without wrapper.

In summary, I can create one situation which lets the noise disappear. So indeed there is something strange with my 4.4 mm IC C9 stock cable going on. Do you think so, too?

If you agree, the next step might be to get another 4.4 mm C9 balanced interconnect cable. This will need Mr. Deyerling‘s help and unfortunately take a while.

Remark: I took some more precautions: All phones off, N6ii in Flight Mode, moved to the basement which reduces WiFi strength from my home router considerably (could have turned router and repeater off, but didn‘t want to do that yet, since the neighbor‘s router is coming in, too).

Remark 3: As reported earlier, the noise exists loudly when there is no audio replay. Of course I also checked that audio is played to the IEM correctly while I touch that sensitive plug and the wrapper. So I guess I don‘t create some short circuiting inside the plug by touching.

1624027028442.png

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #6,295 of 8,191
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #6,296 of 8,191
Yeah I was hesitant to buy it but then realized that I pre ordered the r01...

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #6,297 of 8,191

From what you described earlier, the problem is the short interconnect between DAP and C9, so I am not too concern about the headphone cable from C9 to your IEM. Maybe you didn't wrap the aluminium tight enough, that's why when you "touch the wrapper at one end and squeeze it intensely to the plug housing", you have created a ground shield for the short interconnect.

If adding a ground shield to the 4.4mm short interconnect can stop the noise, according to your experiment, then maybe the quickest solution is to purchase a short interconnect with ground connection instead of sending the N6ii and C9 back to dealer (or Cayin at Zhuhai) for inspection.

I have no idea why you need to add a ground connection in your 4.4mm portable interconnect to obtain a silent playback when most, if not all, other users don't have that problem. Therefore we can't draw a conclusion based on your description. The problem can be coming from N6ii or C9 , or environmental. The 4.4mm short interconnect works fine in my N6ii+C9 setup, and it also works fine for a lot of users with similar setup. Your DAP and amplifier are bought from authorized dealer, so they are definitely covered, but as we couldn't find similar instance from other users, we need to examine your units before we can identify the problem.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #6,298 of 8,191
I think his issues isn’t the IC. I do think his issues is the grounding issues on the C9 or the N6ii by itself.

1/ Try C9 with other source, see if it persists

2/ Try N6ii with other amplifier

This will navigate it down to which one is create problems

The reason why the Foil and squeezing increase the noises and intensity is because the resistant of the ground chassis has now increased.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #6,299 of 8,191
I think his issues isn’t the IC. I do think his issues is the grounding issues on the C9 or the N6ii by itself.

1/ Try C9 with other source, see if it persists

2/ Try N6ii with other amplifier

This will navigate it down to which one is create problems

The reason why the Foil and squeezing increase the noises and intensity is because the resistant of the ground chassis has now increased.
Please check his description again:
"However, when I touch the wrapper at one end and squeeze it intensely to the plug housing (without touching anything on the C9/N6ii), the noise disappears."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back