Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #4,861 of 8,191
From the looks of this you may be able to leave the scews out from the modules for quick swaps without fear of them popping out with a pull on the headphone cable.

The case will stop the Audio Motherboard from dropping out, but it won't necessarily stop the Audio Motherboard disconnecting from the N6ii chassis, so officially that is not recommended :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,862 of 8,191
Mine got hot when I first got it, it was trigerred by playing E02 while charging. It got super hot, it even smeared the metal part my dignis case and I couldn’t touch the volume knob because it’s so hot. But afterwards, whenever I’m using it normally (i.e. not while charging) it gets warm but not hot.

When the listen and charge at the same time, the player is operated in very large current and the battery will generate a lot of heat. While it won't damage the player but it might shorten the life of your battery. Google charging and discharging battery at the same time will provide the technical explanation. This is not whether we can do that with N6ii, but a general recommendation to portable lithium based devices.

My E02 always runs very hot no matter the weather on low gain volume at 23

I wonder if this would have a affect on battery in any way

Mine got hot when I first got it, it was trigerred by playing E02 while charging. It got super hot, it even smeared the metal part my dignis case and I couldn’t touch the volume knob because it’s so hot. But afterwards, whenever I’m using it normally (i.e. not while charging) it gets warm but not hot.

Several users has expressed their concern about the temperature of E02. Yes, it runs warmer then our A01 or T01. In fact when we introduced our E01, I did mention that the reason to not provide balanced output in E01 is lack of space and heat management problem, especially in Class A operation.

Discrete components in E01 and E02 are not as efficient as IC in A01 and T01, the inefficiency will be demonstrated through heat dispersion, and the chassis of N6ii will function as heatsink.

If anyone is worry about the operation temperature being too high, try to improve the ventilation condition of N6ii during playback. Remember the N6ii chassis is designed was heatsink to the audio and power management circuit, good ventilation will improve the efficiency of heat dispersion, hence lower the temperature of the chassis. Someone suggested hot summer/high temperature makes the situation worse, it does because heat dispersion efficiency is lower when the surrounding temperature is high and temperature different is narrowed down.

The battery won't be affect if you don't charge and discharge at the same time. When the chassis is hot, that means the circuit and components are cooling down properly.

Last edited:

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #4,863 of 8,191
I was trying the Cayin N6ii as a desktop DAC/Amp for the first time, and latency is not great as expected, but I'm surprised how many stutters I'm getting (about once every minute).
Does anybody else have this issue?

I don’t get stutters - maybe once in a blue moon. Need more specs on what your system is though maybe? Also - have you adjusted the settings in the driver control panel?

Go into: Cayin Control Panel -> Buffer Settings (tab) -> Preferred ASIO Buffer Size ->

Adjust the number of samples for the buffer size, starting from the lowest number (i.e., 8 samples), until you no longer have stutters.

I think turning on safe mode should also help you, should the previous suggestion not help as well. Note the change in output latency will adjust each time you adjust the ASIO Buffer Size, and when you turn on/off Safe Mode. A lower number of samples will decrease latency but may introduce errors like stuttering.
I paged Andy @ cayin below.

The latency can be adjusted via the driver app as I previously mentioned, but I really wish there was an option, if possible, for a specific low-latency mode (I.e., gaming/video). @Andykong any chance this could happen?

It’d make the player a viable USB gaming DAC if so. (The current driver options allow you to get the output latency pretty low, but there’s still a tiny bit of a noticeable delay with games, etc., even at 8 samples.)

I appreciate that you prioritize sound quality though, so I understand if this isn’t possible.

edit: I added some clarity, I hope.

@KaiserTK I hope you have solved your stutters problem. By the way, we have release released a new USB Audio Driver, this will resolve the incompatible of previous USB driver with latest Win10 system updates.

https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13605

@starck86 unfortunately, the buffer will cause latency, we can allow you to reduce the size of the buffer to reduce the latency (but also increase jitter), theoretically when buffer is really small, the latency will become in-noticeable, unfortunately our engineers holds a strong opinion that the buffer must not be too small, otherwise musicality will be affected (first impression of digital audio with high jitter).

Last edited:

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #4,864 of 8,191
Several users has expressed their concern about the temperature of E02. Yes, it runs warmer then our A01 or T01. In fact when we introduced our E01, I did mention that the reason to not provide balanced output in E01 is lack of space and heat management problem, especially in Class A operation.
According to the thermal sensor readings my A01 usually is about 30-35 degrees Celsius, while E01 is a bit hotter - 35-39 degrees Celsius on average and 40-43 during very hot days (being carried in a bag). I find it totally fine, taking into account delta of ambient temperature.
However, that should be a nice move for Cayin to supply Dignis-alike cases for N6II and other DAPs with a metal grid at the back for better heat dissipation.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #4,865 of 8,191
Discovered fancy issues with my n6ii:
- when you choose the track, it may skip the first 1-2 secs of the track, no matter which player is used - it occurs on hiby player and usb player as well.
- cannot delete folders via file manager on device - requires root access.
any suggestions?

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4,866 of 8,191
Looks like we have very different opinion regarding the background noise of E02 and Solaris, so the remaining factor is music content and personal sensitive level to background noise?

I always hold the opinion that even when you can hear small amount of hiss, it won't necessarily interrupt your musical experience. Sounds good is a lot more important to me than completely silent. For instance, E02 hiss more than E01 with my Andromeda, in my ear, with my music, but I prefer E02 over E01. I am not particularly sensitive to background noise, I only trained myself to find the noise when I have to (part of my work).

By the way, @Rockwell75 PAW 6000 and N6ii(E01) both consider hiss-free with your Solaris?
paw6000 had slightly hiss with solaris 2020 , paw s1 is dead silent , and E02 also very slightly, not really noticeable while music is playing :)( at least to my ears , the Q5s hisses a lot more )

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #4,868 of 8,191
Another more general question: how can I put my own image file as the 'wallpaper' on my Cayin N6ii? Apologies, but I'm not really an Android person!

Edit: I figured it out:

4MM9V46.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #4,870 of 8,191
a new soundcard for n6mk2 is on its way, likely to be released this month and it’s call a02. Something different about this one is a02 will only have line out function for amp connection. I am quite interested in this one, if it utilizes all the space on the sound card just for dac, it’s probably the best line-out you gonna get from a portable dap.

Since the cat's out of the bag, I might as well provide a bit more information. :beerchug:

The A02 will be a line out and pre-out Audio Motherboard, no headphone output. A high quality desktop-grade line out is straightforward, we done that many times in DAPs, the pre-out is the innovation. The A02 will allow you to use the N6ii as source to a lot of analogue power amplifiers. You can use the line out to connect the N6ii to integrated amplifier and headphone amplifier, or use the pre-out to connect the N6ii to active speakers or power amp. of speaker based audio system. Since the input impedance of solid state and vacuum tube amplifiers varied significantly, we decided to extend the R&D by 1 month to conduct more tests, to make sure the pre-out can work with a larger variety of power amplifier satisfactory. Our tentative schedule was to launch the A02 on August 2020, but now you need to wait till September.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #4,871 of 8,191
Hi All,

Currently running my u22ts with AK25, but looking to move to the next level.

Have been looking at the sp1000m, before I came across the Cayin n6ii.

Has anyone compared the two and can you offer the differences between the DAPs? Can't find many comparisons online...

Thanks

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #4,872 of 8,191
Is anyone able to compare the N6ii/E02 with the A&K SP2000 ? I am interested in finding out whether the SP2000 is much better than E02 or not, and whether the sound is thinner/thicker on the E02 board compared to the SP2000.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #4,873 of 8,191
Hi All,

Currently running my u22ts with AK25, but looking to move to the next level.

Have been looking at the sp1000m, before I came across the Cayin n6ii.

Has anyone compared the two and can you offer the differences between the DAPs? Can't find many comparisons online...

Thanks
I have been compared this two daps in audio store, so sound wise I can tell that 1000m has thinner sound and I fill the N6ii’s sound more organic and vibrant, so I get it immediately.

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #4,874 of 8,191
Does your n6ii also loose battery life while completely turned off ? I charged it to 100% turned it off over the weekend , started it today and got 84% left ...

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #4,875 of 8,191
Does your n6ii also loose battery life while completely turned off ? I charged it to 100% turned it off over the weekend , started it today and got 84% left ...
Over one night/day it doesn’t loose anything. If over a weekend it might loose say 2%. One thing I always do though is take the cable jack out of the port. This seems to lead to less drain on the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back