Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #4,726 of 8,192
Does any user of N6ii here prefer the A01 over the other boards?
I demoed the a01 and t01 and preferred the a01. Less overall width on the soundstage but better separation of instruments. Good depth re soundstage. YMMV

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #4,727 of 8,192
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #4,728 of 8,192
Here you go, my full review of E02 module is up! The detailed coverage of the design and the sound, plus I included extra info about the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter. Enjoy the read!

I am sure the comprehensive mix and match "library" help the N6ii community a lot, but I want to state that this is the only review that covers the balanced line out of E02 and compare the single end output of E02 in detail, if anyone is considering using the E02 beyond the basic balanced phone application, this is the review you don't want to miss. :thumbsup:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,729 of 8,192
Jun 25, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #4,730 of 8,192
Thanks for the write-up; great review as always.

E01 has a superior DAC than E02, but it seems that it does not make significant differences? And do you notice any difference between the A/B amp sections in both cards?

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I was really leaning towards E01 because most of my IEMs are single ended, but the adapter you mentioned in your review and the similarity between E01 and “SE” E02 really made the choice much harder!

So the advantage of E01 is the class A amp option, while the advantages of E02 are more power, balanced output and line out.. the latter seems much more logical, but then again, going full SE in 2020 seems really a cool thing..

Alex has compare the sound signature of E01 and E02 in great detail, so I won't go into that. I want to point out one thing that makes me keep coming back to E01 when I am using IEM that don't need the extra power. IMHO, the data quantity of E01 is overwhelmed. I am not referring to resolution which E01 and E02 are in the same par. In simple terms, the music from E01 is denser then E02, it is like comparing bed sheets with identical material but higher thread count. The music is slightly more involving, and the feeling of "I was there" is slightly more prominently with E01.

Pardon me for this is a bit too abstract and my English is pulling my leg. If you have both E01 and E02 and you feel the same as me, please correct my description with better example.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #4,731 of 8,192
So! After having my N6ii for about 2 weeks, I’m about to return it to amazon! I have no real issues with it except for the short battery life and some of the Android UI. The sound is absolutely blissful but I can’t stop wondering about WM1Z. It’s driving me crazy so I’m just biting the bullet and ordering it.

You should try Z1R with E02, it‘s on another level. Much better than the pairing with 1Z.

wait whaaaaaat!? I literally just put my N6ii back in the mail today for the 1Z to pair with the Z1Rs 😩😂

NEVER!!!!!! Lol I’ve got the Andromedas as well. They still sound amazing but that lack of a DD after I heard the Z1R just stands out like a sore thumb to me now but I may hold on to them, as well. But the Z1Rs are my babies ☺☺☺ lol

If Z1R is your beloved IEM, I'll be waiting for you round the corner. :beerchug:

If you're planning on buying other IEMs down the road, the E02 module will be a good choice for longevity's sake. The module is really targeted for headphones with impedance >= 32 ohms and sensitivity <= 110 db/mw, that is if you don't want to hear the hisses.

Couldn't have said it any better. I would say sensitivity plays a more important role here. For instance, if the sensitivity drop down to 104dB/mw, even 24ohm IEMs will be hiss free.

The E02 really offers a lot of flexibility in choice of earphones and headphones, especially when you want to try out some of the latest hybrids with DD, BA and electrostatic or piezoelectric drivers (Khan, Trinity, Elysium, Canary, ...)

For instance, I am based in Hong Kong and Sony E1Z probably has a larger user group then CF Solaris locally, N6ii with T01 or E02 are popular choice. I have tried both and prefer T01 with E1Z myself, but I can understand why a lot of N6ii users prefer E02 for that combination.

If you must build your portable rig around high sensitive IEMs such as Andromeda and Solaris, then E01 is a better choice indeed. The E01 might be "marginal" for really difficult IEMs such as Final Audio E5000 or VE Elysium etc., but it will work with most IEMs from high sensitive to moderately difficult, including the frequently mentioned Andromeda and Solaris.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #4,732 of 8,192
Im considering getting the e01 but already own the e02. Is there a difference in sound?

Alex has a detail review covers E01 vs E02, and if you want an alternative opinion, Lieven from Headfonia also covers the same topic in his review. I have also shared my personal opinion on audio performance of E01 vs E02 at Post #4,728, and Post #4,731 on sensitivity and driving requirement considerations.

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,733 of 8,192
I would be using the Trio and Legend X, and despite reading the reviews mentioned I am still undecided between getting the E01 or E02. There seems to be a good case for both and without listening to them it is difficult to discern the difference between these two motherboards. It would be a blind buy in any case, but I just don’t know which one to pick. I guess I could toss a coin and let fate decide 😀

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #4,734 of 8,192
Does any user of N6ii here prefer the A01 over the other boards?

A01 is still my favorite all-rounder. It has a fantastic tone, spherical stage, and depth. If I have to travel with one, it will be A01.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #4,735 of 8,192
I would be using the Trio and Legend X, and despite reading the reviews mentioned I am still undecided between getting the E01 or E02. There seems to be a good case for both and without listening to them it is difficult to discern the difference between these two motherboards. It would be a blind buy in any case, but I just don’t know which one to pick. I guess I could toss a coin and let fate decide 😀

one friend I know has Lx custom and he prefers the E02 with hes Lx :)

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #4,736 of 8,192
Alex has compare the sound signature of E01 and E02 in great detail, so I won't go into that. I want to point out one thing that makes me keep coming back to E01 when I am using IEM that don't need the extra power. IMHO, the data quantity of E01 is overwhelmed. I am not referring to resolution which E01 and E02 are in the same par. In simple terms, the music from E01 is denser then E02, it is like comparing bed sheets with identical material but higher thread count. The music is slightly more involving, and the feeling of "I was there" is slightly more prominently with E01.

Pardon me for this is a bit too abstract and my English is pulling my leg. If you have both E01 and E02 and you feel the same as me, please correct my description with better example.
Thanks Andy. Can’t say I have a clear idea of thread count for sheets, never A/B tested them lol, but I kind of get what you mean.. like flat white vs latte? :beerchug:

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #4,737 of 8,192
@Andykong

I am extremely unhappy with the quality of the case you supply worst design ever for protection open corner 🤔 my N6 fell 6 inches on to hard floor and look what happened not even waist height thank god. I am extremely carful with all my stuff anyway just wanted to air my frustration rant over. Gutted to say the least
D9FDB631-77D1-4C65-B24E-D69B71CEA010.jpeg
766C5685-D62A-4F31-A8CE-F919DB61BE2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #4,738 of 8,192
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back