Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #4,758 of 8,192
Apologies for the dumb question, but how do you use EQ with the Cayin N6ii? I use UAPP almost exclusively on my N6ii.
I would like to know this too.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,759 of 8,192
Apologies for the dumb question, but how do you use EQ with the Cayin N6ii? I use UAPP almost exclusively on my N6ii.
UAPP has an EQ you can use. So if you are using UAPP its in the app, though I think its an in app purchase to unlock the full parametric EQ thats available there. Otherwise the N6II doesnt have any system wide EQ.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,760 of 8,192
UAPP has an EQ you can use. So if you are using UAPP its in the app, though I think its an in app purchase to unlock the full parametric EQ thats available there. Otherwise the N6II doesnt have any system wide EQ.

Thank you @mashuto. I looked into UAPP on my N6ii a bit more and found that the equaliser is disabled in bit-perfect mode, but is available in non-bit-perfect mode. Also, I ran up the Cayin Music app and found an equaliser in there.

So it looks like any equaliser is app specific. I tend not to use any EQ but was just interested in how it made the sound change. Both in UAPP (bit-perfect mode off) and the Cayin Music app, I found the EQ to make an interesting difference to the sound with minimal colouring/artefacts introduced into the music.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #4,761 of 8,192
Thank you @mashuto. I looked into UAPP on my N6ii a bit more and found that the equaliser is disabled in bit-perfect mode, but is available in non-bit-perfect mode. Also, I ran up the Cayin Music app and found an equaliser in there.

So it looks like any equaliser is app specific. I tend not to use any EQ but was just interested in how it made the sound change. Both in UAPP (bit-perfect mode off) and the Cayin Music app, I found the EQ to make an interesting difference to the sound with minimal colouring/artefacts introduced into the music.
Any EQ you use will inherently not be bit perfect anymore no matter what. And since the n6ii bypasses the "normal" android processing, I wouldnt worry too much about it since you are feeding audio directly from the app to the output, so I think theres likely little if any practical difference between having bit perfect on and off on the n6ii. I could be wrong, but when I have turned bit perfect on and off I personally cant hear any difference.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,762 of 8,192
Any EQ you use will inherently not be bit perfect anymore no matter what. And since the n6ii bypasses the "normal" android processing, I wouldnt worry too much about it since you are feeding audio directly from the app to the output, so I think theres likely little if any practical difference between having bit perfect on and off on the n6ii. I could be wrong, but when I have turned bit perfect on and off I personally cant hear any difference.

I have bit-perfect on in UAPP for only one reason: I am using my N6ii as a digital transport for Qobuz and TIDAL a lot of the time. I'm feeding an outboard DAC via the N6ii I2S interface. Hence, the bit-perfect setting within UAPP. As you say, it may not make an discernible difference but I'm trying to get a bit-perfect datastream out of the N6ii and into my DAC.

For direct listening with headphones on the N6ii I think the Cayin and HiBy music apps use DTA anyway, but I'm not sure UAPP does. Cayin is a little confusing in this respect. The literature for the N6ii suggests that DTA is a system-wide setting but I don't think it is. I believe only the two pre-installed music apps use it and for third-party apps like UAPP, you have to enable bit-perfect mode within the app if it is available, to avoid up- or down-sampling by Android.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #4,763 of 8,192
I have bit-perfect on in UAPP for only one reason: I am using my N6ii as a digital transport for Qobuz and TIDAL a lot of the time. I'm feeding an outboard DAC via the N6ii I2S interface. Hence, the bit-perfect setting within UAPP. As you say, it may not make an discernible difference but I'm trying to get a bit-perfect datastream out of the N6ii and into my DAC.

For direct listening with headphones on the N6ii I think the Cayin and HiBy music apps use DTA anyway, but I'm not sure UAPP does. Cayin is a little confusing in this respect. The literature for the N6ii suggests that DTA is a system-wide setting but I don't think it is. I believe only the two pre-installed music apps use it and for third-party apps like UAPP, you have to enable bit-perfect mode within the app if it is available, to avoid up- or down-sampling by Android.
Yea I was under the impression that DTA is system wide so every app should use it. Though one easy thing to try would be to simply play some different music of different sample rates in uapp without bit perfect turned on and just look in the status bar to see what you are getting. Pretty sure it should match the music. Which says to me that no up or down sampling is happening.

But I could be wrong.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #4,764 of 8,192
So far I have no issues at all with E02, it sounds absolutely amazing, it’s working well, no hiss (since I don’t have sensitive IEMs). Again, my only wish is that battery life can be longer, but it’s coming from a person who has been indulged by WM1Z‘s battery life for the past 3 years. So no complaints at all.
I have the E02 and I’ve been A/B-ing between Solaris 2020 and QDC Anole VX. The Anole is less sensitive than the 2020, but I hear no difference in terms of hiss, both on low and medium gain.

One thing I’m noticing though is the N6ii getting very hot indeed and battery draining more quickly on low gain. I’d have thought it would be the other way round. But I’m no electronics expert.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #4,765 of 8,192
Wish something could be sorted I’m tempted to remove mine because it bugs the hell out of me
Noooo, don’t do that. I removed it when I first got the N6ii. A day later I accidentally let an iem swing onto the screen and now have a tiny but obvious dink. It drives me crazy and make me beat myself up every time I look at it. Tried several different things to remove or reduce it, but nothing worked. It was a month ago and time hasn’t yet healed my pain.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #4,766 of 8,192
73C6CF2D-AE67-47C6-AA12-4B387FF4C182.jpeg

The mids are out of this world with this combo!

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #4,768 of 8,192
I have a charging question! According to the specs, the Cayin N6ii supports Quick Charge 3.0. I am getting a QC 3.0 charger soon. Is there any visual indication on the screen that the N6ii is fast charging?
I have a fast charger and I don’t recall any indication that it is charging fast on screen. I just tend to plug it in and let it charge. I think it’s something like 90mins to fully charge the unit. My charger is the Anker QC3.0.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #4,769 of 8,192
Is anyone using full-sized headphones (over-ear) with their Cayin N6ii? I'm looking for over-ears that work well with the N6ii + E01. They need to be quite lightweight though, suitable for going on long evening walks.

I do have a set of beyerdynamic T1.2 over-ears but they are 600-Ohm so cannot be driven by the E01 module. I need something that will be of similar quality to my beyer Xelento in-ears. I'm finding that wearing in-ears when out walking feels odd due to pressure sounds and hearing your own body! Hence the need for over-ears, open-backed or closed-back, it doesn't matter.

I'm currently looking at Focal Clear over-ears so something of that quality would be good, preferably at a lower cost though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back