Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 29, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #4,456 of 8,213
I too am a Pentaconn fan. Though I have mostly used either 3.5mm se or 2.5mm balanced cables as my previous Dap was the Pioneer XDP-300r. The 4.4mm Pentaconn has a much better build and doesn't feel as flimsy as the 2.5mm.

I would like to try the E02 myself but feel it may be too much like the E01 to warrant me buying it aswell. I look forward to your impressio s of the E02.

My inner tiger perception tells me E02 is a higher class over E01

May 29, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #4,457 of 8,213
Not really married to the UI of the M11. I do enjoy it but I usually go straight to Tidal anyway. Then most of my music is side loaded to the SD card. But now I’m a bit sad that you said the SQ doesn’t sound the same ... it’s almost a wash of buying it if the SQ doesn’t surpass the M11 😢

I didn't mean to say that the SQ doesn't surpass the M11. In fact the opposite. I was driven away from M11 based on SQ. DX220 and N6ii are miles ahead IMO.

May 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #4,458 of 8,213
May 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #4,459 of 8,213
How is the burn in going on the E02.
Any early impressions ?

Hi I did some listen but really just like 15 min to check how is the burn in cooking :sunglasses: :sunglasses: So I can tell that It sound quiet very good indeed! It is superior to T01 in terms of technicalities and resolution. Very refined sound very close to TOTL signature.
I did try rolling some filters and the apodizing was the filter set of the box, I found that it didnt offer enough sound stage and echoes vs fast roll-off linear phase, the fast roll-off minimum phase offers slightly less echoes then the linear phase.

Didnt really dig further down the sound, though I found it sounding more right and tonally very natural. Vocals are very good and clear :ksc75smile::darthsmile:

I got 3 days of burn in 24/7 going on here need 6 more to make it more accurate . ( around 200 to 250 hours )

May 29, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,460 of 8,213
Hi I did some listen but really just like 15 min to check how is the burn in cooking :sunglasses: :sunglasses: So I can tell that It sound quiet very good indeed! It is superior to T01 in terms of technicalities and resolution. Very refined sound very close to TOTL signature.
I did try rolling some filters and the apodizing was the filter set of the box, I found that it didnt offer enough sound stage and echoes vs fast roll-off linear phase, the fast roll-off minimum phase offers slightly less echoes then the linear phase.

Didnt really dig further down the sound, though I found it sounding more right and tonally very natural. Vocals are very good and clear :ksc75smile::darthsmile:

I got 3 days of burn in 24/7 going on here need 6 more to make it more accurate . ( around 200 to 250 hours )

Sounds good so far. I’m looking forward to the full impressions when the E02 is cooked. And of course how E02 compares to A01. :thumbsup: :relaxed:

May 29, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #4,463 of 8,213
I didn't mean to say that the SQ doesn't surpass the M11. In fact the opposite. I was driven away from M11 based on SQ. DX220 and N6ii are miles ahead IMO.

Ah! Now we’re talking! That’s what I love to hear. So seeing that my FLAC library is minimal and I use tidal for offline streaming, would you say it’s still miles ahead of the 11? If so, this is the last bit of my extensive research that I need to do lol

May 29, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #4,464 of 8,213
Ah! Now we’re talking! That’s what I love to hear. So seeing that my FLAC library is minimal and I use tidal for offline streaming, would you say it’s still miles ahead of the 11? If so, this is the last bit of my extensive research that I need to do lol

If you compare Tidal playing on M11 and N6ii, I would pick N6ii, no question.

I actually don't like to talk in absolute terms because our gear, taste, music, etc are so diverse. So I'll list the basis of my preference here, for your reference:

What I didn't like of M11
  • Most of my IEMs have impedance less than 15ohms (minimum recommended by FiiO) -> constant hiss
  • Even with higher impedance full size headphones, noise floor was too high
  • Overall too flat and lacked body and depth
  • Imaging was strange - Too much Left/Right separation or lack of crossfeed
  • Had a lot of problem with USB DAC with digital noise
  • Audio lag watching videos
  • Player software was half baked
What I got with N6ii
  • Works much better with low impedance IEMs. I can use Andromeda out of SE most of the time without IEMatch.
  • Much fuller sound, lower noise, dynamic, warmer, spherical sound stage
  • Choice of A01/T01/E01/E02!
  • Serves well as a portable, desktop source via SPDIF, and USB DAC (haven't tried I2S yet)
  • Software is stable and works as expected
If you had similar issues with M11, there's a chance you will like N6ii :) Happy hunting and listening!

May 29, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #4,465 of 8,213
I've been reading through this thread and it's really making me want to try an N6ii w/E02. I am curious how it will compare to the Fiio M15. Especially with my Solaris 2020.

May 29, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #4,466 of 8,213
If you compare Tidal playing on M11 and N6ii, I would pick N6ii, no question.

I actually don't like to talk in absolute terms because our gear, taste, music, etc are so diverse. So I'll list the basis of my preference here, for your reference:

What I didn't like of M11
  • Most of my IEMs have impedance less than 15ohms (minimum recommended by FiiO) -> constant hiss
  • Even with higher impedance full size headphones, noise floor was too high
  • Overall too flat and lacked body and depth
  • Imaging was strange - Too much Left/Right separation or lack of crossfeed
  • Had a lot of problem with USB DAC with digital noise
  • Audio lag watching videos
  • Player software was half baked
What I got with N6ii
  • Works much better with low impedance IEMs. I can use Andromeda out of SE most of the time without IEMatch.
  • Much fuller sound, lower noise, dynamic, warmer, spherical sound stage
  • Choice of A01/T01/E01/E02!
  • Serves well as a portable, desktop source via SPDIF, and USB DAC (haven't tried I2S yet)
  • Software is stable and works as expected
If you had similar issues with M11, there's a chance you will like N6ii :) Happy hunting and listening!

Ah! Youre a lifesaver! So definitely some of the things I was looking for! I noticed my Andros and FH7s lost a lot of life on the M11. I looooooooved the Andros with Mojo/Poly but that’s primarily become an at home piece of equipment just due to convenience and usability not being nearly as simple as a DAP. I love the Z1Rs sound great on the M11 but if half of the life was sucked out of everything else, I could only imagine how it would sound with a full/warm body. The warmth is definitely what I have been looking for. I was lusting over the WM1Z for look and warmth/body to the music and i has read so much about this providing those characteristics as well as streaming which automatically took the Z out of the question. The info you’ve provided as well as all the digging I’ve been doing.... I’m pretty confident. And I just pulled the plug! The only current choices were the E01 and A01. I picked the E for everything we’ve discussed! Can’t wait!

May 29, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #4,467 of 8,213
Ah! Youre a lifesaver! So definitely some of the things I was looking for! I noticed my Andros and FH7s lost a lot of life on the M11. I looooooooved the Andros with Mojo/Poly but that’s primarily become an at home piece of equipment just due to convenience and usability not being nearly as simple as a DAP. I love the Z1Rs sound great on the M11 but if half of the life was sucked out of everything else, I could only imagine how it would sound with a full/warm body. The warmth is definitely what I have been looking for. I was lusting over the WM1Z for look and warmth/body to the music and i has read so much about this providing those characteristics as well as streaming which automatically took the Z out of the question. The info you’ve provided as well as all the digging I’ve been doing.... I’m pretty confident. And I just pulled the plug! The only current choices were the E01 and A01. I picked the E for everything we’ve discussed! Can’t wait!

Sounds like you will be happy with N6ii! It has little more punch and character than mojo, going by my memory. A01 is my favorite for Andro pairing. Looking forward to you your impressions!

I’ve been wanting to try 1Z too... I’m sure @Vitaly2017 would be happy to fill the details there :)

May 30, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #4,468 of 8,213
Sounds like you will be happy with N6ii! It has little more punch and character than mojo, going by my memory. A01 is my favorite for Andro pairing. Looking forward to you your impressions!

I’ve been wanting to try 1Z too... I’m sure @Vitaly2017 would be happy to fill the details there :)

Please give me a few more days I running burn in procedures on n6ii/E02 and also my freshly modded 1z/romi! they both like new now and need a minimum 200 hours on n6ii and 400 hours on 1z.
Atm they are around same clock time of running closing the 175 hour mark. I usually consider 200 hours the bare minimum before saying anything concrete.

@Kad998 for your valuable information I been using wm1z for over 2 years 100% in Bluetooth mod streaming spotify from a cellphone! you would think aa that wont sound as good as an android dap with src bypass right? Well wrong wm1z is so good that its even hardly beatable when in Bluetooth dac mod! and its battery life is untouchable by nothing on the market! You can also use it as a usd dac mod as well it will improve sound quality.

Soon I will share my impressions/review its almost here :gs1000smile:

May 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,470 of 8,213
Do you own both? Or rather, has the tiger heard both?

I havent soon I may have the ability to hear both same time, I own the E02 my friend has the E01 we gotta meet up and make those tests

Users who are viewing this thread

Back