Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 22, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #4,382 of 8,196
@normie610 how is the synergy of E02 with your M5?

@aaf evo sadly the synergy with M5 isn’t that good (at lease for me). E02 does the opposite to M5, it becomes less warm, thinner sounding, and less euphonic vs the pairing with 1Z. Sub-bass rumble is reduced by a wide margin, although that makes the bass sounds cleaner in a way. Mids sound okay, but I feel that the timbre is a bit off. Treble becomes more pronounced, I wouldn’t say harsh but compared to treble that’s coming out of 1Z, it’s more elevated. M5 treble on 1Z is super silky smooth.

Between low, mid and high gain on E02, low has the most preferred sound for M5. But to me, 1Z is a lot more suited with M5. Perhaps M5 LID tech doesn’t suit DAPs with high power output (this is pure speculation of course), or just the fact that M5 has much lower impedance than Z1R. What intrigues me the most is that E02 has completely the opposite effect to Z1R, it sounds a lot meatier, bass hits harder than on 1Z and treble peaks become a lot smoother. Oh and I even prefer the sound of M5 paired with A01 as it’s not too far off from the sound coming out of 1Z.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,383 of 8,196
hey, n6ii e02 user here with solaris OG, i've been wondering it the lack of depth i'm experiencing is due to the solaris or the e02, thoughts on e02 depth?

The same thing happened with my M5 and E02. I provided a more detailed impression in my previous post here.

May 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,384 of 8,196
@aaf evo sadly the synergy with M5 isn’t that good (at lease for me). E02 does the opposite to M5, it becomes less warm, thinner sounding, and less euphonic vs the pairing with 1Z. Sub-bass rumble is reduced by a wide margin, although that makes the bass sounds cleaner in a way. Mids sounds okay, but I feel that the timbre is a bit off. Treble becomes more pronounced, I wouldn’t say harsh but compared to treble that’s coming out of 1Z, it’s more elevated. M5 treble on 1Z is super silky smooth.

Between low, mid and high gain on E02, low has the most preferred sound for M5. But to me, 1Z is a lot more suited with M5. Perhaps M5 LID tech doesn’t suit DAPs with high power output (this is pure speculation of course), or just the fact that M5 has much lower impedance than Z1R. What intrigues me the most is that E02 has completely the opposite effect to Z1R, it sounds a lot meatier, bass hits harder than on 1Z and treble peaks become a lot smoother. Oh and I even prefer the sound of M5 paired with A01 as it’s not too far off from the sound coming out of 1Z.

I appreciate the response. I loved the M5 synergy with the ZX507 but unfortunately there were things about the DAP I didn't like so I got rid of it.

May 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #4,385 of 8,196
The same thing happened with my M5 and E02. I provided a more detailed impression in my previous post here.

Interesting and intriguing...

Remember @twister6 he said the same thing about my fourte noir and amps comparison. He said T01 had the bigest soundstage and air among all amps hmm and a better synergy for my type of iem and wire ( pw1960 )
He recommended me the T01 over E02 for that exact feedback as you just said....

But I still bought the E02 and about to do some testing will confirm it soon

May 23, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #4,386 of 8,196

Remember @twister6 he said the same thing about my fourte noir and amps comparison. He said T01 had the bigest soundstage and air among all amps hmm and a better synergy for my type of iem and wire ( pw1960 )

Yeah it’s strange, as all my other IEMs sound good with E02 (tested it with Fusion and M9 initially). But again, the biggest improvement of course with Z1R.

May 23, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #4,387 of 8,196
Yeah it’s strange, as all my other IEMs sound good with E02 (tested it with Fusion and M9 initially). But again, the biggest improvement of course with Z1R.

Dont take it offensively but I was a lucky tiger once to have an opportunity to listen to Fir M4 and M5 and Tia trio all on hands at once in my posession!

I still preferred my tia trio over m4 and m4 didnt provide what m5 could do. But M5 wasnt good enough for my desired sound signature and I now have tia fourte noir.

For me the m5 just not as versatile or good enough for my preference. M5 feels like it was built for signers on stage as it presents the most natural and life like sound presentation. But it doesnt do what 64a iems can trio and fourte...
Man those for me are killer iems maybe in future fir will change that but to me fourte noir is very far a head.

With Fir iems there is something with bass that is always present its not as black as with trio fourte that annoyed me. Bur I loved the m5 treble very natural resonance in tonality.

Yea after my tests I find Fir brand is more artist signers oriented rather audiophiles...

May 23, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #4,388 of 8,196
Dont take it offensively but I was a lucky tiger once to have an opportunity to listen to Fir M4 and M5 and Tia trio all on hands at once in my posession!

I still preferred my tia trio over m4 and m4 didnt provide what m5 could do. But M5 wasnt good enough for my desired sound signature and I now have tia fourte noir.

For me the m5 just not as versatile or good enough for my preference. M5 feels like it was built for signers on stage as it presents the most natural and life like sound presentation. But it doesnt do what 64a iems can trio and fourte...
Man those for me are killer iems maybe in future fir will change that but to me fourte noir is very far a head.

With Fir iems there is something with bass that is always present its not as black as with trio fourte that annoyed me. Bur I loved the m5 treble very natural resonance in tonality.

Yea after my tests I find Fir brand is more artist signers oriented rather audiophiles...

You’re a lucky tiger then!

Yeah, M5 is damn natural, that’s what I love about it. It‘s what I would call a True To Life monitor. But I guess it’s very similar to photography. A picture that looks true to its real-life object might not be pleasing to look at. Landscape photographers for example, they will always apply some degree of post processing to their images in order for them to look more appealing, since the unedited image might look a bit dull.

Since I have different sound characters in my IEM collection, the M5 brings a unique proposition for its very natural sound.

May 23, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #4,389 of 8,196
You’re a lucky tiger then!

Yeah, M5 is damn natural, that’s what I love about it. It‘s what I would call a True To Life monitor. But I guess it’s very similar to photography. A picture that looks true to its real-life object might not be pleasing to look at. Landscape photographers for example, they will always apply some degree of post processing to their images in order for them to look more appealing, since the unedited image might look a bit dull.

Since I have different sound characters in my IEM collection, the M5 brings a unique proposition for its very natural sound.

Ha yesyes photography is a good example if not using processing it does look very unattractive of course if unless you are a real talented photographer and can make magic with lightning then it can be awsome and no need for prpcessing.

Thats to say M5 is very natural but it is not what drives my soul

May 23, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #4,390 of 8,196

Yep, you asked me for a specific comparison between two amps, with a specific cable, and your specific Fourte Noir :D Relative to that pair up and per your requirements, that was my recommendation :wink:

To make a general statement that one amp is better than the other would be misleading, it's all about the synergy between specific iems, daps, cables, etc. It's a mad science!!!

... and with all that said, E02 is still my favorite dac/amp which has been staying attached to N6ii ever since I got it. Plus, with a single ended to balanced adapter (the one by double helix guys), E02 covers all the connections, both single ended and balanced for headphone output and line out.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,391 of 8,196
Speaking about E01 vs E02 (both in AB mode), which motherboard provides smoother and non-fatiguing sound with silky smooth highs compared to other one? As to the synergy, which rules, pairing will be sony ier m9, which is regarded to be on warm-neutral side. With T01 board these iems sounded too harsh and bright.

Maybe A mode of E01 provides that warm and analogue-ish sound. But I wonder is it is really versatile and universal or kind of niche solution - as example, like ibasso AMP9.
Is it something that is really demanded in everyday life? Owners, what is the ratio of your listening in A mode compared to AB?

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #4,392 of 8,196
Quick question, is there a reason why a dsd file sounds louder when played through the Hiby/Cayin app than when it’s played through UAPP. It only happens with dsd/dff files and the volume difference is about 5-8 steps.

May 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #4,394 of 8,196
Quick question, is there a reason why a dsd file sounds louder when played through the Hiby/Cayin app than when it’s played through UAPP. It only happens with dsd/dff files and the volume difference is about 5-8 steps.

I guess because of DSD gain in audio setting?

May 23, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #4,395 of 8,196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back