Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 5, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,751 of 8,192
My search for a 'do it all' DAP continues and now I've seen this DAP to throw into the mix, and I have some questions that owners may be able to help with.

1. Does the Cayin N6ii run TIDAL and Qobuz apps?
2. Are these apps hindered by Android's downsampling or not?
3. Finally, is offline mode supported for both TIDAL and Qobuz?

I'm not too bothered about full hardware MQA and I'll probably migrate to Qobuz if I can get them to add a load of missing songs into their catalogue. I've seen a few posts with owners having issues with Qobuz so wanted to check on the current status of those issues.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,752 of 8,192
My search for a 'do it all' DAP continues and now I've seen this DAP to throw into the mix, and I have some questions that owners may be able to help with.

1. Does the Cayin N6ii run TIDAL and Qobuz apps?
2. Are these apps hindered by Android's downsampling or not?
3. Finally, is offline mode supported for both TIDAL and Qobuz?

I'm not too bothered about full hardware MQA and I'll probably migrate to Qobuz if I can get them to add a load of missing songs into their catalogue. I've seen a few posts with owners having issues with Qobuz so wanted to check on the current status of those issues.
The n6ii can run any Android app. And the non Chinese n6ii has full Google play support meaning you can download directly from the play store.

The n6ii bypasses Android's normal resampling entirely so you get the original audio being output without any resampling.

No full hardware mqa.

Not 100% sure about offline, but I imagine if you are using the full Google play version, you will have the same features you would have on any Android phone. But hopefully someone else can better answer that one.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #3,755 of 8,192
I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet but...

When I am listening to music on the DAP it will occasionally stop after a song has finished. So what I mean is, say you have a list of 20 songs, it will play 4 and then stop. I then have to manually press the forward button to start the next song. However, I would expect the DAP to just play the 20 songs. This also happened when I was trying to burn in some IEMs. I put a playlist on continuous repeat, yet when I checked it later nothing was playing. This 'stopping' happens quite regularly.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #3,756 of 8,192
Anyone else having distortion issues with streaming/playing 96k or 192k files?
I tried a whole bunch of apps, including, but not limited to MConnect, Bubble and Hifi Cast.

The distortion (to the point of listening being impossible) doesn't occur when using Caying Music, Hiby, Telegram's audio player AND with Bubble (if downsample from 24 bit to 16 bit is selected);

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,757 of 8,192
I tried a whole bunch of apps, including, but not limited to MConnect, Bubble and Hifi Cast.

The distortion (to the point of listening being impossible) doesn't occur when using Caying Music, Hiby, Telegram's audio player AND with Bubble (if downsample from 24 bit to 16 bit is selected);
Player is close to what

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #3,758 of 8,192
I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet but...

When I am listening to music on the DAP it will occasionally stop after a song has finished. So what I mean is, say you have a list of 20 songs, it will play 4 and then stop. I then have to manually press the forward button to start the next song. However, I would expect the DAP to just play the 20 songs. This also happened when I was trying to burn in some IEMs. I put a playlist on continuous repeat, yet when I checked it later nothing was playing. This 'stopping' happens quite regularly.

Does anyone else have this happen?
Is this with the Cayin music player App? Mine keeps playing all the songs in the selected list fine. I would try a different music player app and see if the issue still occurs. Do you have a USB Audio Player Pro licence for example I would recommend it, a trial is available if not.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,759 of 8,192
I'll be joining the Cayin N6ii club in the next week or two. I've managed to get a deal on a new N6ii with E01 module for a pretty good price. I couldn't get the bundle deal (T01 + E01) at a price that was within my budget so I settled on the module that is supposed to provide decent sound quality (at the expense of battery life). I may buy the T01 and A01 modules separately in the future.

It took the best part of the day asking questions over the phone and WhatsApp to the supplier who was very patient and answered all of my questions. My key aims were bit-perfect replay in Tidal and Qobuz (I understand that full MQA is not supported on the N6ii), Qobuz (+ offline) and Tidal (+ offline).

Question: Are there any particular micro-SD cards that work well with the N6ii or would something like a SanDisk Ultra 400 GB microSDXC memory card be fine?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #3,760 of 8,192
Player is close to what

Nothing. Tried in different locations- others have the same problem. Cayin’s response was: reach out to app developers and get them to fix the problem...

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,761 of 8,192

This sounds like the same problem there is with audio players other than Cayin, HibyMusic, UAPP and Neutron. I have found no other players that can consistently play anything over 96k properly. I don't think it's distortion technically but a kind of buffering issue that occurs because the N6ii is using its DTA technology yet the music app is trying to take care of the Hi Res playing itself. If you search previously in this thread, you will a bit of discussion about this. I now only use HibyMusic eventhough I wish we would actually be able to use any audio apps since we do have the full play store.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #3,762 of 8,192
This sounds like the same problem there is with audio players other than Cayin, HibyMusic, UAPP and Neutron. I have found no other players that can consistently play anything over 96k properly. I don't think it's distortion technically but a kind of buffering issue that occurs because the N6ii is using its DTA technology yet the music app is trying to take care of the Hi Res playing itself. If you search previously in this thread, you will a bit of discussion about this. I now only use HibyMusic eventhough I wish we would actually be able to use any audio apps since we do have the full play store.

Both Cayin Music and Hiby do a good job but I need something that can both play local music but also govern streaming from my audio server.

I will give Neutron a go!

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,763 of 8,192
Is this with the Cayin music player App? Mine keeps playing all the songs in the selected list fine. I would try a different music player app and see if the issue still occurs. Do you have a USB Audio Player Pro licence for example I would recommend it, a trial is available if not.
This is with Tidal. I download playlists to the N6ii and then listen off line. I can’t recall if it happens online or not. I only stream and so do not use any other music app.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,764 of 8,192
I’ve got around 300 albums from my iTunes music collection in AAC (purchased from iTunes Store) and ALAC format (CDs imported into iTunes into Apple’s lossless format) stored on my Mac. Would it be correct to assume that the N6ii would be able to play Apple AAC and ALAC format music files? Not a big deal if it cannot as my main music is in Tidal and Qobuz, but would be a nice to have.

Also, what is the best way to transfer my music files from my Mac to the N6ii? I want to avoid using Android File Transfer app as that ruins my Mac!

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,765 of 8,192
Both Cayin Music and Hiby do a good job but I need something that can both play local music but also govern streaming from my audio server.

I will give Neutron a go!

Worked a treat- didn’t have luck with Neutron but USB Audio Player Pro is awesome!! 192k via my server works great+integrated Tidal playback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back