Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #2,326 of 8,192
Have not heard anything good yet on the 9038 chip in portable sources - AK Kann Cube and Futura are not good examples of this DAC implementation...
If anyone can put an excellent implementation of the 9038 together it's Cayin. When Cayin announced that they were using the 9028pro in there iDAC-6 MKII I was disappointed. But when mine arrived and I put it into my desktop system I was blown away. I'm sure they will do the same with the N6ii.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #2,328 of 8,192
But Cowon Plenue L is a stunning implementation of the 9038Pro I was really impressed by its musicality and technicalities as well
Oh, yes. This one is good but No streaming, no wifi, nothing...I don't understand their strategy, they can make a very good sound but stuck somewhere in last century)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,330 of 8,192
I really want a full-on Burr Brown DAC.

Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of choice on Burr Brown DAC right now. If I remember it correctly, the original PCM1792 dated all the way back to 2002 and the revised PCM1792A was available since 2006. Its not an easy decision when a brand decided to develop a new product based on these "ancient" DAC chipset, a lot of consumers will just assume we are naive and outdated and didn't even bother to give it an audition. The modular concept of N6ii probably is the only platform that makes a serious PCm1792a implementation financially feasible (within acceptable business risk).

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #2,331 of 8,192
If anyone can put an excellent implementation of the 9038 together it's Cayin. When Cayin announced that they were using the 9028pro in there iDAC-6 MKII I was disappointed. But when mine arrived and I put it into my desktop system I was blown away. I'm sure they will do the same with the N6ii.

Thank you for your support, comment from a converted customers means a lot to us.

When we used ES9018K2m in N5ii/N5iiS DAP, reviewers also described our ESS implementation as unique and very different. The Calyx M is another example that ESS based DAP can be very musical and "different". Since I didn't get to hear the E01 prototype, my anticipation is as curious as anyone here. I hope the E01 sample will be available within 4-5 weeks, we are moving on as quickly as possible but because the E01 is very different from A01 and E01 circuit design, we just need to be patient and give it some time. :beerchug:

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #2,332 of 8,192
Quite telling is the anticipation about E01 and the buzz around it :D

I want a C01 Chord amp card with their FPGA chip :eye:

Not this is innovative, where should we start? Should I cc your suggestion to Chord and start a joint venture discussion? :ksc75smile:

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #2,333 of 8,192
Since I didn't get to hear the E01 prototype, my anticipation is as curious as anyone here. I hope the E01 sample will be available within 4-5 weeks, we are moving on as quickly as possible but because the E01 is very different from A01 and E01 circuit design, we just need to be patient and give it some time. :beerchug:

This is all very exciting and in the meantime I have T01 on its way, in time to further the experience before I ship the Tour package on to the next reviewer :)

N6ii is a gem for a reviewer, switching cards to get the best synergy is just amazing... as I am starting to review the Dunu DK-4001, I switched to A01 and when I get my FIBAE7 I plug in the T01 and it's bliss :D

Not this is innovative, where should we start? Should I cc your suggestion to Chord and start a joint venture discussion? :ksc75smile:

I would be stoked!

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #2,334 of 8,192
I know my all time favorite dac amp was hdv820 from sennheiser and it had a single ess 9018. To me it sounded reallyyy good.

So I believe it will sound even better with cayin amp module maybe since its a newer ess dac.

I will be happy to own 2 amp modules with different dac chips its actually impressive that the dac chip is on the module ! Just wow.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #2,335 of 8,192

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #2,337 of 8,192
Perhaps the lack of Wifi etc is precisely the reason why it sounds so good. Wifi, Bluetooth, etc, even USB are at odds with clean sound.
Anyway I prefer the n6ii to Plenue L- just better synergy with my IEM and more power.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #2,338 of 8,192
Have not heard anything good yet on the 9038 chip in portable sources - AK Kann Cube and Futura are not good examples of this DAC implementation...
If you say so yourself

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #2,339 of 8,192
Yes. And do it as a cheap massdrop release :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,340 of 8,192
Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of choice on Burr Brown DAC right now. If I remember it correctly, the original PCM1792 dated all the way back to 2002 and the revised PCM1792A was available since 2006. Its not an easy decision when a brand decided to develop a new product based on these "ancient" DAC chipset, a lot of consumers will just assume we are naive and outdated and didn't even bother to give it an audition. The modular concept of N6ii probably is the only platform that makes a serious PCm1792a implementation financially feasible (within acceptable business risk).

I'm showing my ignorance now. Is the PCM1792a a BurrBrown DAC? I thought it was from Texas Instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back