Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,536 of 4,108
Dear Head-Fi

I am very much interested in a buying a Cayin N5 ii, but I would like to get clarification about two features.
(I am sorry) I am an Apple addict and I was so far using iPod Classic devices; I loved them but the last one died recently and I am not interested i switching to iPod touch, because I use iPhone devices and they are just not suitable as music players.

My questions are :
1) I there an easy way to synchronise the Cayin N5ii with an iTunes library ?
I am aware it is possible the export Tunes libraries to android devices. I ever had an Android phone and I managed to move manually my files and playlists, but it was not easy at all, because I had frequent errors interrupting the copy of files to the SD card. I had to start over and it took ages until I managed to copy my entire library (about 110 Go). Therefore it someone could advise an effective script or app to automatise the process, I would be grateful…

2) it is possible to stream from the Cayin N5ii to an AirPort device ? All my speaker and HiFi devices are AirPlay compatible and I would like to be able to steam music wireless from my normal player.
I know there are apps allowing to stream from Android devices to AirPlay speakers, e.g. Streambels, Allcast or Allstream. But here again, I would appreciate users feedback that such solutions actually work with a Cayin N5ii. On my Android phone I used DoubleTwist, and it was fine, because this music player app allows to steam music to AirPlay. However, on the Cayin, I want to use the native player application because I am sceptical that a third part player app would take all the advantages of the audiophile hardware architecture… Therefore I need confirmation that apps such as Streambels, Allcast or Allstream work.

I don't think there is any option to "synchronize" your iTuen library with an Android device. iTune only provide one time conversion to export the music to non-iOS device, personally I am not surprised as Apple ecosphere tends to motivate their customers to stay within the iOS domain. When you said you "had frequent errors interrupting the copy of files to the SD card", do you mean connecting the N5ii to your iOS device and copy the 110GB music library to the SD card directly? Maybe an external card readers will offer a faster and more reliable operation.

N5ii does not support Airplay and the native HiBy player does not feature a special connection with iOS device, you probably will need to rely on the Bluetooth function only, which is indeed not as good as AIrplay. I'll am not family with iOS system so I hope other users can confirm the feasibility of third party applications regarding streaming to iOS devices.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 11, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #2,537 of 4,108
(1) If we swap the button action as suggested, this will create an odd situation when button action contradict the physical marking of the button, we feel reluctant to do this unless the button reliability has become a significant issues.

(2) We'll consider adding new features to N5ii if that is well justified and within our resource allocation, but we are unlike to change the UI again because we want to save one step of operation after the DAP is 6 months in the market. Changes like these will cause less disturb to users during the early stage of a product, mainly because of the small user community and users are still learning to use the product. Right now the N5ii user community is fairly large, and has developed their "habit" in using the N5ii already.

In general, these are changes that might works out when we devote considerable resource to "convince" and educate the users, there are "windows" to do these but N5ii has passed that window already. We can consider these suggestion when we develop a new product, so thank you for sharing your experience, but as I said, these are unlikely applicable to N5ii due to timing issue.

i understand. thank you and i appreciate your prompt reply =)

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #2,538 of 4,108
Dear Head-Fi

I am very much interested in a buying a Cayin N5 ii, but I would like to get clarification about two features.
(I am sorry) I am an Apple addict and I was so far using iPod Classic devices; I loved them but the last one died recently and I am not interested i switching to iPod touch, because I use iPhone devices and they are just not suitable as music players.

My questions are :
1) I there an easy way to synchronise the Cayin N5ii with an iTunes library ?
I am aware it is possible the export Tunes libraries to android devices. I ever had an Android phone and I managed to move manually my files and playlists, but it was not easy at all, because I had frequent errors interrupting the copy of files to the SD card. I had to start over and it took ages until I managed to copy my entire library (about 110 Go). Therefore it someone could advise an effective script or app to automatise the process, I would be grateful…

2) it is possible to stream from the Cayin N5ii to an AirPort device ? All my speaker and HiFi devices are AirPlay compatible and I would like to be able to steam music wireless from my normal player.
I know there are apps allowing to stream from Android devices to AirPlay speakers, e.g. Streambels, Allcast or Allstream. But here again, I would appreciate users feedback that such solutions actually work with a Cayin N5ii. On my Android phone I used DoubleTwist, and it was fine, because this music player app allows to steam music to AirPlay. However, on the Cayin, I want to use the native player application because I am sceptical that a third part player app would take all the advantages of the audiophile hardware architecture… Therefore I need confirmation that apps such as Streambels, Allcast or Allstream work.

Hi,
I am a Cayin i5 user, and a Mac Book Pro user.
I synchronise my iTunes library using a software "iSyncr".
I had the same problem with You because I was using iPhone to listen to music.
As Our environment is not the same, I can't guarantee that N5ii and iSyncr works but please refer the site below.
http://www.jrtstudio.com/ja/iSyncr-iTunes-for-Android

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,539 of 4,108
(1) If we swap the button action as suggested, this will create an odd situation when button action contradict the physical marking of the button, we feel reluctant to do this unless the button reliability has become a significant issues.

(2) We'll consider adding new features to N5ii if that is well justified and within our resource allocation, but we are unlike to change the UI again because we want to save one step of operation after the DAP is 6 months in the market. Changes like these will cause less disturb to users during the early stage of a product, mainly because of the small user community and users are still learning to use the product. Right now the N5ii user community is fairly large, and has developed their "habit" in using the N5ii already.

In general, these are changes that might works out when we devote considerable resource to "convince" and educate the users, there are "windows" to do these but N5ii has passed that window already. We can consider these suggestion when we develop a new product, so thank you for sharing your experience, but as I said, these are unlikely applicable to N5ii due to timing issue.
I really appreciate how candid and detailed your responses are regarding the business realities of this industry.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,540 of 4,108
I really appreciate how candid and detailed your responses are regarding the business realities of this industry.
That's my thought exactly - what's more, there's something new to learn of how things work and Andy's messages are very clear in this sense. So thank you Andy!

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,541 of 4,108
My Spotify loses downloaded files on the SD, although the files remain on the SD card. No issues with FLACs or MP3s on the same card. I've tried double-reset, downloaded 3k files a dozen times.

Anyone else having this issue?

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,542 of 4,108
My Spotify loses downloaded files on the SD, although the files remain on the SD card. No issues with FLACs or MP3s on the same card. I've tried double-reset, downloaded 3k files a dozen times.

Anyone else having this issue?

I have already PM you.

Last edited:

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #2,543 of 4,108

That's my thought exactly - what's more, there's something new to learn of how things work and Andy's messages are very clear in this sense. So thank you Andy!

Thank you very much for the support and recognition. I am not in an Engineering capacity right now so my primarily concern is not technical feasibility or implementation timeline but to make appropriate compromise and achieve win-win whenever possible. This is a very different role from my previous professional duties and I am still learning the tricks. :beerchug:

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,545 of 4,108
Tested it in-store alongside the FiiO X7ii and I’ve decide I’m getting the Cayin N5ii!

What I liked about it:
- small form factor
- nice volume roller
- premium quality build feel
- small screen (I like it)
- decently fast GUI
- has TIDAL offline (not negotiable)
- nice clear vocals
- smooth low end with lush texture
- small bit of sparkle
- the numeric volume indicator

Just small things I liked about. It felt right. Picking it up next Tuesday.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,546 of 4,108
I got to try the X7ii over the weekend. I found it too aggressive and bright. The N5ii is significantly smoother and more musical.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,547 of 4,108
I got to try the X7ii over the weekend. I found it too aggressive and bright. The N5ii is significantly smoother and more musical.

How I felt as well.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2,548 of 4,108
Tested it in-store alongside the FiiO X7ii and I’ve decide I’m getting the Cayin N5ii!

What I liked about it:
- small form factor
- nice volume roller
- premium quality build feel
- small screen (I like it)
- decently fast GUI
- has TIDAL offline (not negotiable)
- nice clear vocals
- smooth low end with lush texture
- small bit of sparkle
- the numeric volume indicator

Just small things I liked about. It felt right. Picking it up next Tuesday.
I mostly agree with you but I wouldn't call the low end of the N5ii lush though. Its more of a powerful and controlled low end

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2,549 of 4,108
Using which amp module?

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,550 of 4,108
I mostly agree with you but I wouldn't call the low end of the N5ii lush though. Its more of a powerful and controlled low end

Ya, sorry, incorrect use of adjective. I should have used “smooth” -> powerful and controlled. That’s my personal definition of lush haha :) (great sensory pleasure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back