Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,756 of 4,108
It's BlitzWolf BW-Vox1, bought it from Banggood. Not to much info about it on Google, as I understand it's some kind of Banggood specifical brand. As I said before, they works on another dap just when 'Remote in-line' is unchecked.
A bit later I'll try my KEF m500 headphones, they have a cable with remote control too, just need to find it in my drawer.

Well, this doesn't sound pleasant but to be frank, if this is a unbranded item from Banggood, we really don't know for sure if they have implemented the line control correctly to international standard. We are certain that N5ii can playback through TRRS 3.5mm headphones in OMTP and CITA standard, we have tested this features thoroughly so there is a chance that the earphone that you are using are not conform to these standards. We do not intend to modify our firmware because of that. I would suggest you get in touch with Banggood regarding the compatibility of their earphone.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,757 of 4,108
Lol, blitzwolf sounds like an rpg character rather than an iem brand.

I always use the buttons on the N5ii rather than the one on the remote though

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,758 of 4,108
Lol, blitzwolf sounds like an rpg character rather than an iem brand.

I always use the buttons on the N5ii rather than the one on the remote though

He has a different problem, if I understand correctly, the IEM causes track skipping even when he didn't touch the control buttons on the IEM.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #1,759 of 4,108
He has a different problem, if I understand correctly, the IEM causes track skipping even when he didn't touch the control buttons on the IEM.
That sounds like the control buttons of the iem have shorted out or something causing it to send false signals.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,760 of 4,108
That sounds like the control buttons of the iem have shorted out or something causing it to send false signals.

Yes, most likely sticky button.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #1,761 of 4,108
I prefer sticky buns.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,762 of 4,108
Yes, exactly. And yes, this is related to BlitzWolf earphones (I checked with another earphones with remote control), not for player. Something shortening on the cable. A bit sad, because these BlitzWolf sounds not bad at all, and it's dirty cheap. Anyway, thank you for your help!

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,763 of 4,108
I received the N5ii today: I think I'm one of the first to got it here in Italy.
First of all I would like to thank XChesser Audio for sending me the player, following me through various difficulties with patience and helpful. Good seller!

It is too early to give an opinion on the DAP.

I tried to use my modded K701 with the balanced output, but I found it "without body". By changing cable and with the unbalanced output, the same headphones sounded much better.
Could it be a problem with my cable?
Can you recommend a decent 4 pin XLR -> 2.5" cable?

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,764 of 4,108
Both are true at the time of the post. We are working on the USB Audio out solution and we'll might delay the firmware release date in order to give more room to resolve the problem. Silvia (Cayinsupport) will be informed and handle the firmware release as soon as the firmware is available.

Hi Andy, will there be a firmware update that resolves the static/noise when using the N5ii as an external DAC connected via USB to a PC? I am not sure if others are experiencing the same thing, but I get quite a bit of noise/popping/static when using the N5ii as an external DAC. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,765 of 4,108
Can anyone compare with Pioneer XDR300R?

N5ii (from memory, first 2 weeks of February)
XDP-300r (my current DAP)

I can not offer you much comparison regarding sound quality, both DAPs sound awesome. I guess the 300r has more clarity but the N5ii is more exciting, but its hard to tell from memory.

The 300r offers a well thought-out interface with slick navigation and an open Android system, while the N5ii has a very "intimate" no-nonsense approach with some quirks and a rather laggy interface.

Pioneers player has a bright colorful screen but is rather large, the volume wheel is alright but the hardware buttons are not very haptic. Cayins has an ok screen but a great portable size (but rather sharp edges), an awesome volume wheel and alright buttons. N5ii comes with a good protection case, the 300r offers none and finding a good one will drive you mad... believe me (the offical one, sold separately, appears to be of rather bad quality for its high price).

The N5ii offers an alright (or great, if you consider it's an Android device) battery life of about 12 hours. 300r is harder to define. Use the screen for too long and the battery will drain very fast (2-3h I guess). Don't use the screen much and you can get up to 12-14 hours (with upsampling (48kHz) and Club Boost Lvl 2 Eco mode enabled). Experienced with mp3 and flac, up to 192kHz/24bit and monitors between 16 and 64 Ohm on both devices with unbalanced cable (3.5mm).

If you're interested in bluetooth, the N5ii sadly struggled to keep up a consistent connection but the 300r has no issues and also offers APT-X. You also gain additional battery life when using bluetooth (just today, after about 9-10 hours of running time, the player still had ~50% left).

I hope that helped a bit. I wont get into bugs, because the 300r had more than a year to get rid of those and also premiered for a higher price (which I assume is a sign for a higher production budget).

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,766 of 4,108
I received the N5ii today: I think I'm one of the first to got it here in Italy.
First of all I would like to thank XChesser Audio for sending me the player, following me through various difficulties with patience and helpful. Good seller!

It is too early to give an opinion on the DAP.

I tried to use my modded K701 with the balanced output, but I found it "without body". By changing cable and with the unbalanced output, the same headphones sounded much better.
Could it be a problem with my cable?
Can you recommend a decent 4 pin XLR -> 2.5" cable?

I read a review where it stated that the unbalanced output appears to be fuller body, but the balanced output has a blacker background, wider soundstage, better dynamics & extension and tighter bass. Could explain why you felt it was lacking. I doubt it's the cable.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,767 of 4,108
N5ii (from memory, first 2 weeks of February)
XDP-300r (my current DAP)

I can not offer you much comparison regarding sound quality, both DAPs sound awesome. I guess the 300r has more clarity but the N5ii is more exciting, but its hard to tell from memory.

The 300r offers a well thought-out interface with slick navigation and an open Android system, while the N5ii has a very "intimate" no-nonsense approach with some quirks and a rather laggy interface.

Pioneers player has a bright colorful screen but is rather large, the volume wheel is alright but the hardware buttons are not very haptic. Cayins has an ok screen but a great portable size (but rather sharp edges), an awesome volume wheel and alright buttons. N5ii comes with a good protection case, the 300r offers none and finding a good one will drive you mad... believe me (the offical one, sold separately, appears to be of rather bad quality for its high price).

The N5ii offers an alright (or great, if you consider it's an Android device) battery life of about 12 hours. 300r is harder to define. Use the screen for too long and the battery will drain very fast (2-3h I guess). Don't use the screen much and you can get up to 12-14 hours (with upsampling (48kHz) and Club Boost Lvl 2 Eco mode enabled). Experienced with mp3 and flac, up to 192kHz/24bit and monitors between 16 and 64 Ohm on both devices with unbalanced cable (3.5mm).

If you're interested in bluetooth, the N5ii sadly struggled to keep up a consistent connection but the 300r has no issues and also offers APT-X. You also gain additional battery life when using bluetooth (just today, after about 9-10 hours of running time, the player still had ~50% left).

I hope that helped a bit. I wont get into bugs, because the 300r had more than a year to get rid of those and also premiered for a higher price (which I assume is a sign for a higher production budget).

Thanks. That was very helpful.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #1,768 of 4,108
I read a review where it stated that the unbalanced output appears to be fuller body, but the balanced output has a blacker background, wider soundstage, better dynamics & extension and tighter bass. Could explain why you felt it was lacking. I doubt it's the cable.

I would describe it more as the SE output feels more congested whereas the balanced output creates more separation and a wider soundstage. Because of this additional “room” the presentation may seem less full but to me the SE seems a little more cramped/focused and the balanced is more open, if that makes sense.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,769 of 4,108
Hi Andy, will there be a firmware update that resolves the static/noise when using the N5ii as an external DAC connected via USB to a PC? I am not sure if others are experiencing the same thing, but I get quite a bit of noise/popping/static when using the N5ii as an external DAC. Thanks!

I just said it in the message you quoted, we are working on the "USB Audio" solution, that's what you are referring to as "using N5ii as an external DAC connected via USB" :beerchug:

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,770 of 4,108
I just said it in the message you quoted, we are working on the "USB Audio" solution, that's what you are referring to as "using N5ii as an external DAC connected via USB" :beerchug:
Hopefully the sound delay has been completely resolved :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back