Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,786 of 4,108
Today for the first time my N5ii (3.1EN) suddenly paused for no reason.
It was in Audio priority mode and playing a flac file (44.1). The reader was in my pocket and I'm sure nothing pressed the buttons or the screen.
After several seconds the playing resumed without any intervention from me.
I'm sure that is not the flac file: I played the same file yesterday without problems.
The only thing different than other days is that the reader had just been turned on.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,787 of 4,108
Today for the first time my N5ii (3.1EN) suddenly paused for no reason.
It was in Audio priority mode and playing a flac file (44.1). The reader was in my pocket and I'm sure nothing pressed the buttons or the screen.
After several seconds the playing resumed without any intervention from me.
I'm sure that is not the flac file: I played the same file yesterday without problems.
The only thing different than other days is that the reader had just been turned on.
Think this is a known and common problem. It certainly is for me.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,788 of 4,108
HThe two cards problem happened before, you can check 66-68 pages starting from post 978 to do the troubleshootings. Besides, N5ii adopts "ASCII order" and we don't have a plan to do any change the order currently. Thanks for your kind advice!

A few thoughts. First the USB problem was largely attributed to bus limits in the N5ii. Still, I think that the system can be improved to handle i/o requests between the two storage card ports. Right now it seems to either crash or time out very easily.

Second; ASCII order may make sense to you but as a user it is not a good choice. That item should be re-entered into the user request list. I recall some others piping on on this also.

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,789 of 4,108
Andy, a few thoughts on the next firmware update.

First, I would suggest that much of the effort be focused on existing bugs rather than add any new features.

For example, basis system reliability such as unanticipated pausing in music playback.
The USB input / output system is certainly somewhat problematic. I can not reliably transfer files from one memory card to another within the same unit. And eventually output to external DAC units needs to work smoothly.

The current firmware is materially better than what came before but we still need some improvement in key areas.

By the way I do question the choice of song numbering conventions. Track 1 really does come before track 10.

Thank you
Bugs to squash
1. Device stability/ Freezing (occasional)
2. Blurry album art (rare)
3. Inverted colours (very rare)

Suspected causes
1. Background android services
2. Random but may be due the player simply enlarging the picture from the now playing bar instead of reopening the picture file.
3. It only happened after a freeze in my case so solving the freezing bug might also squash this bug

What else?

Edit: 1500th post!!! :)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,790 of 4,108
Second; ASCII order may make sense to you but as a user it is not a good choice. That item should be re-entered into the user request list. I recall some others piping on on this also.

I agree. It is indeed tiresome with a large library having to re-tag everything with a leading zero.

At least batch conversion of Tag - Filename in Mp3tag is quicker than a manual method (I use format string $num(%track%,2) - %title%).

In addition - I know most people don't have different embedded image in each FLAC file, but I do. If anyone else does this be aware that in Artist view, each album will be displayed with art as applied to the final track of the album (not the first). I am not expecting a fix for this as I doubt too many people are in this boat!

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,791 of 4,108
I did Reset Factory so everything works perfectly now :) but I notice that when I Scan All Folder, it happens again
Hi, how many TF cards inserted in your N5ii? one or two? what is the format? how many songs in your TF cards? You can copy your music files from your TF card to the local storage and take your TF out, scan again to see what happens

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,793 of 4,108
For reference, I have a SanDisk ultra 200GB in slot 1 and a SanDisk Extreme U3 128GB in slot 2.

The ultra contains 11337 songs and the extreme contains 2438 songs, both totalling 13775 songs.

I have no issues browsing even while playing dsd 128 songs on my N5ii.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,795 of 4,108
Bugs to squash
1. Device stability/ Freezing (occasional)
2. Blurry album art (rare)
3. Inverted colours (very rare)

Suspected causes
1. Background android services
2. Random but may be due the player simply enlarging the picture from the now playing bar instead of reopening the picture file.
3. It only happened after a freeze in my case so solving the freezing bug might also squash this bug

What else?

Edit: 1500th post!!! :)
Congrats Sean....been reading a lot of your posts and they have been very informative.

Thanks

Spiro

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,796 of 4,108
Congrats Sean....been reading a lot of your posts and they have been very informative.

Thanks

Spiro
Hahaha, thanks :wink:

Call it mutually beneficial.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,798 of 4,108
Random question: When browsing in the artist tab, when I select an artist and it shows their albums including album artwork, it looks like there should be an artist image next to the artist name. Is it possible to put an artist image in the artist folder and have it displayed there? If so, how does that work?

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,799 of 4,108
Random question: When browsing in the artist tab, when I select an artist and it shows their albums including album artwork, it looks like there should be an artist image next to the artist name. Is it possible to put an artist image in the artist folder and have it displayed there? If so, how does that work?
Interesting question, I noticed that the other day and assumed it was just a static icon.
I ran a test using foobar2000 tagging to add 'artist' artwork and can confirm this didn't show up...

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,800 of 4,108
Anyone tried running a 3 meter (10 ft) USB cable out of the N5ii and into an external DAC?
Does it work with such length?
(My Sony WM1Z doesn't and I need it in the car)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back