Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #856 of 4,108
Probably a stupid question but here goes, should I be having the gain in low medium or high? Tia Fourte through 3.5mm SE

No need to go to High Gain unless you need the extra volume. My tia Fourté does just fine on Low gain. This is a powerful player. :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #857 of 4,108
Hi Andy,

I can't download music for offline mode to External Storage (Memory card). It show only Internal Storage in option. I don't have this problem with Spotify, Joox.

I hope this problem is fixed on new version firmware.

Cheer.

You can't download music fro offline mode to external storage from which app.? Tidal? Apple Music?

From what you have mentioned, I assumed Joox is fully compatible with N5ii? That's a good news to start with.

From what we understand, the off line mode storage setting is an app based feature, it is not controlled by N5ii, and not all streaming app will support user "selectable" download location, but we can investigate the problem if we can collect more information about your problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #858 of 4,108
Hi Andy,

I appreciate your quick response. I was right next to the server (4-5 feet away). Most of the songs are normal flacs but I did not even get to the point where I could play the songs. Even before the various folders that contain the songs appear, the unit crashes. The only thing is that its a rather large library (800 gigs or so arranged in 200+ folders). Could it be that trying to load the list of folders is exceeding the processing capacity?

Also I am not sure what you mean by " slow operation". I waited a good 3-5 seconds between pressing buttons and waited as long as it took for the folders to appear (30 seconds to 2 minutes in different cases) before the unit crashed.

May I introduce my Assistant to you? :blush:

I didn't use the account Cayin Support, her name is Silvia and, among other duties, she helps me out on Facebook and HeadFi forum tremendously. :beerchug:

Silvia has approached the problem based on one assumption: the RK3188 MCU is the bottleneck of the problem.

N5ii can playback music on NAS directly but there are limitations. MP3 and CD quality (16Bit/44.1kHz) WAV and FLAC files are perfectly alright, but when we move up to 24Bit/96kHz, or DSD, the playback sill start to display stuttering or even hang up completely.

A lot of users will assume the stuttering was caused by slow WiFi but from what we understand, the problem probably related to MCU processing power. When N5ii connected to NAS and start to read the folder remotely, there are a tot of task involved already, and then when it start to play a song on NAS, N5ii will start to read from NAS and write into buffer at the same time, so more processing power is involved. When we need to playback a Hi-Res file, the data involved in the buffering process will increase exponentially and eventually, the MCU can't handle the "WiFi connection + networking overhead + remote access + real-time buffering of HI-Res files" all at the same time, so it crashed in the worst case scenario.

When we test N5ii with NAS, our testing library was relatively small when compare to your 800GB, 200+ folder Music Library, maybe the size of the music library has created a processing power drain in the MCU and eventually crashed the DAP. I think this is something that worth investigating. I am not an expert on networking so I shall pass the case to our Engineers, will probably take a while to schedule a test but Silvia will follow up on this investigation.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #862 of 4,108
I can also verify Samsung Evo cards work great.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #863 of 4,108
This is a very strange bug triggered by a specific sequence. I'll try to repeat the steps I perceived from your description:

(1) The track "Random Access Memory" by Daft Punk is recorded in a lower then normal level, so you need to turn up the N5ii volume in order to maintain the same listening level.
(2) Your normal N5ii playback setting is Low Gain, Vol = 70
(3) When you playback "Random Access Memory" you change to Mid Gain, Vol = 90, playback quality is normal
(4) After the "Random Access Memory" track, you switch the N5ii back to Low Gain, Vol=70 for other tracks, and N5ii start to sound "low or weak"
(5) When you restart N5ii, the sound will back to normal at Low Gain, Vol=70

IF this is what you mean, I can tell you that I tried to followed these steps but I can't replicate the problem you mentioned. I'll ask other colleague to check this out tomorrow.

For the meantime, I have the following questions in order to clarify the sitatuion:

(1) Can you confirm that the track "Random Access Memory" by Daft Punk is recorded in a lower then normal level? When you listen to this track with other DAP or mobile phone, you have to turn up the volume significantly in order to maintain your preferred sound pressure level.
(2) You have tried these steps several times with the "Random Access Memory" track and the problem will always appear? or it only appeared once and when you repeat the song again, the problem does not repeat againi?
(3) You have tried these steps with another track track and the problem will always appear?
(4) Please compare Low Gain, Vol= 70 against Mid Gain, Vol=58, I believe the sound level should be the same. If this sound close enough to you, can I suggest you repeat the process by using Mid Gain, Vol=58 as starting point, and turn up to Vol=90 when you playback the track "Random Access Memory", and then turn down to Vol.= 58 again, will the "weak" audio problem appear?

Hi Andy!
Thanks for your response.

1) yes the Album by Daft Punk is recorded on a lower volume and I need to turn it up to 100 Low gain for me to get my desired listening volume.
2) I have tried this several, multiple times and the problem is still the same
3) When I normaly listen to my normal songs Flac 16/44 to 24/96-192 Bitrate of 1600- 2900, the volume is just right but again when I listen to Daft Punk RAM album I need to turn the volume up to 100, switching back to other albums/songs, at volume 70, it sounds like you are just on 40-50 volume level.
4) Tried your suggestion and it is still the same.

I think I am just going to return this and get a replacement if this is a rare case that I picked up to restart everything.
* I am also getting a left light flickering problem sometimes.
- at the lock screen the left light is ok even when you turn it on, but when you get to the homepage after unlocking it, the left light is somehow becoming a strobe light/ flickering light. the remedy for the flickering light to be gone is to press the power button off then on again 2-3 times sometimes 1x only.

I hope I am not the only one who is experiencing this as I assume this can be fixed by a software update.
If not well I'll just have this replaced. dont get me wrong, I love the N5ii compared to Ak70 mk2 and sony ZX300 :)

Thanks for you Help! :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #865 of 4,108
Hi Andy!
Thanks for your response.

1) yes the Album by Daft Punk is recorded on a lower volume and I need to turn it up to 100 Low gain for me to get my desired listening volume.
2) I have tried this several, multiple times and the problem is still the same
3) When I normaly listen to my normal songs Flac 16/44 to 24/96-192 Bitrate of 1600- 2900, the volume is just right but again when I listen to Daft Punk RAM album I need to turn the volume up to 100, switching back to other albums/songs, at volume 70, it sounds like you are just on 40-50 volume level.
4) Tried your suggestion and it is still the same.

I think I am just going to return this and get a replacement if this is a rare case that I picked up to restart everything.
* I am also getting a left light flickering problem sometimes.
- at the lock screen the left light is ok even when you turn it on, but when you get to the homepage after unlocking it, the left light is somehow becoming a strobe light/ flickering light. the remedy for the flickering light to be gone is to press the power button off then on again 2-3 times sometimes 1x only.

I hope I am not the only one who is experiencing this as I assume this can be fixed by a software update.
If not well I'll just have this replaced. dont get me wrong, I love the N5ii compared to Ak70 mk2 and sony ZX300 :)

Thanks for you Help! :)

That's really strange, so even without changing the gain, just turn up the volume from 58 to 90 at mid-gain when you playback the "Random Access Memory" track and then turn the volume back to 58 again for other track, the sound is not right and you need to reset the player? I think we need to test the problem with your music file, I have PM you and left you my email address, please send me the "Random Access Memory" track and we'll test the steps again.

I would like to expand the test sample of this particular case. Can I invite @PinkyPowers or @nmatheis or any N5ii users who happen to have free time tonight to help me out in trying the step (1) to (4) that I have listed in my previous respond? You can replicate the step with your own choice of music. Many thanks in advance. :beerchug:

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #866 of 4,108
Sorry, but I haven't been keeping up with this conversation. But I am having no volume problems with my 24bit/88.2Khz copy of RAM. I can switch to every gain setting and adjust to a volume that works for me.

Is there some kind of replay gain happening here? Check your meta data and delete any gain settings in there for that album.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #867 of 4,108
May I introduce my Assistant to you? :blush:

I didn't use the account Cayin Support, her name is Silvia and, among other duties, she helps me out on Facebook and HeadFi forum tremendously. :beerchug:

Silvia has approached the problem based on one assumption: the RK3188 MCU is the bottleneck of the problem.

N5ii can playback music on NAS directly but there are limitations. MP3 and CD quality (16Bit/44.1kHz) WAV and FLAC files are perfectly alright, but when we move up to 24Bit/96kHz, or DSD, the playback sill start to display stuttering or even hang up completely.

A lot of users will assume the stuttering was caused by slow WiFi but from what we understand, the problem probably related to MCU processing power. When N5ii connected to NAS and start to read the folder remotely, there are a tot of task involved already, and then when it start to play a song on NAS, N5ii will start to read from NAS and write into buffer at the same time, so more processing power is involved. When we need to playback a Hi-Res file, the data involved in the buffering process will increase exponentially and eventually, the MCU can't handle the "WiFi connection + networking overhead + remote access + real-time buffering of HI-Res files" all at the same time, so it crashed in the worst case scenario.

When we test N5ii with NAS, our testing library was relatively small when compare to your 800GB, 200+ folder Music Library, maybe the size of the music library has created a processing power drain in the MCU and eventually crashed the DAP. I think this is something that worth investigating. I am not an expert on networking so I shall pass the case to our Engineers, will probably take a while to schedule a test but Silvia will follow up on this investigation.

Great to hear this. I appreciate the response. Other than this issue, this is fantastic sounding DAP. Hopefully, with time as the firmwares get more polished, the user experience will improve further.

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #868 of 4,108
That's really strange, so even without changing the gain, just turn up the volume from 58 to 90 at mid-gain when you playback the "Random Access Memory" track and then turn the volume back to 58 again for other track, the sound is not right and you need to reset the player? I think we need to test the problem with your music file, I have PM you and left you my email address, please send me the "Random Access Memory" track and we'll test the steps again.

I would like to expand the test sample of this particular case. Can I invite @PinkyPowers or @nmatheis or any N5ii users who happen to have free time tonight to help me out in trying the step (1) to (4) that I have listed in my previous respond? You can replicate the step with your own choice of music. Many thanks in advance. :beerchug:

Sorry, but I haven't been keeping up with this conversation. But I am having no volume problems with my 24bit/88.2Khz copy of RAM. I can switch to every gain setting and adjust to a volume that works for me.

Is there some kind of replay gain happening here? Check your meta data and delete any gain settings in there for that album.

I'm listening to hi-res FLAC files without any problems. Daft Punk isn't my gig, but I'm listening to many other hi-res albums with no issues at all. This seems like a rather odd and most likely isolated case.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #869 of 4,108
I just received my n5II yesterday and I am attempting to connect to a SMSL AD18 amp via USB and a huge amount of static can be heard when playing back music.
Anyone else us the n5II as a USB source and get a similar issue?

Sorry, I have missed this question until now.

We have notice the USB Audio of N5ii has background noise and stuttering issue:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-51#post-13958622
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-51#post-13958610
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-54#post-13963224

I am not sure if the "huge among of static" are the same symptom in different description, if you have go through the other post and conclude that this is a different situation, I would like to know more about your setup. Please provide more information on the USB cable, any adapter is used? what is the N5ii setting? Have you changed the USB mode to DAC?

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #870 of 4,108
Sorry, I have missed this question until now.

We have notice the USB Audio of N5ii has background noise and stuttering issue:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-51#post-13958622
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-51#post-13958610
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-54#post-13963224

I am not sure if the "huge among of static" are the same symptom in different description, if you have go through the other post and conclude that this is a different situation, I would like to know more about your setup. Please provide more information on the USB cable, any adapter is used? what is the N5ii setting? Have you changed the USB mode to DAC?

Sorry Mr. Kong. Mine goes back to Amazon tomorrow. I hope the USB issue gets ironed out at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back