Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #871 of 4,108
That's really strange, so even without changing the gain, just turn up the volume from 58 to 90 at mid-gain when you playback the "Random Access Memory" track and then turn the volume back to 58 again for other track, the sound is not right and you need to reset the player? I think we need to test the problem with your music file, I have PM you and left you my email address, please send me the "Random Access Memory" track and we'll test the steps again.

I would like to expand the test sample of this particular case. Can I invite @PinkyPowers or @nmatheis or any N5ii users who happen to have free time tonight to help me out in trying the step (1) to (4) that I have listed in my previous respond? You can replicate the step with your own choice of music. Many thanks in advance. :beerchug:
I gave it a try and didn't notice any difference in volume. I don't have the RAM track, I just used two random tracks and switched between them adjusting volume and gain as described.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #872 of 4,108
Glad you like the N5ii, Good to see a Hong Kong N5ii user landed in HeadFi forum.

I have read your review on Post76, but I was occupied by other involvement so I didn't get involved with the discussions in Hong Kong forum.

You mentioned "The replay gain is set to high because of 55 ohms", I assume you are referring to the 3-stages playback Gain which you can set the N5ii to Low, Mid and High Gain. I mentioned this because there is a function in some DAPs called Replay Gain (回放增益) which is a function to normalize the loudness of different tracks but I think you are referring to this feature in your N5ii impression.
True, it's is a typo. It is the gain setting. There is no normalization of replay gain. Isn' it? How do you know I am from HK?

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #873 of 4,108
I would not be excluding X5III that quickly. I, for example prefer it more than my I5, since it has much more sound customization and does not distort at lower bass as I5 does. Also, it is very powerful so It can drive well quite a number of full size headphones without me reaching out for portable amp. I can't say the same for my I5.
N5ii drives Sony flghship headphone Sony NDR-Z1R pretty well (64ohms)

Gain: high
Volume:70
EQ: off
2.5 bal. out

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #874 of 4,108
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #875 of 4,108
No sure if I understand it right, when you said you hit the LAN icon, you are referring to the WiFi icon on the Notification Center?
Thanks for your response sir. Here's the LAN icon I'm referring to. I think my problem has been somewhat solved when I used another PC and router, N5ii do play the files from the network smoothly. I think it's compatibility issue of the router. IMG_20180112_204934.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #876 of 4,108

I had reported the same issue in trying to reach my synology server.
Andy thought that it might be that the system was having trouble accessing my server as there were a large number of files.
But I downloaded Media Monkey player about an hour back. It has the ability to access the network through UPNP. I am happy to tell you that it works well and accessing and playing songs on the server is snappy. So this appears to be a software issue with the default Cayin app and not a hardware issue, why don't you try another player?

Regards

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #878 of 4,108
I know you probably can use any, and its probably been talked of already, but short of rereading a load of pages, I was wondering what micro sd cards you guys find best to use with N5ii? I.e sdxc? Is it better to get something with 90-100MB/s? Do faster cards only affect the transfer speed, or, does it affect the speed of scanning through library or changing to another song/album?

I dont really want to shell out loads of money on storage, so I am considering 64/128gb cards which seem to have better value compared to the 256/400 cards (at least on AmazonUK).

There is a lot of choice out there and I just wanted to understand how much impact a faster card has on the DAP past transfering files... I know on cameras a slower card can be debilitating when you are on a shoot and so, I wonder if relative performance issues apply, even though its a DAP and not a camera...

Thanks!

P.s. I can't see what the UHS rating is for the N5ii, does anyone happen to know which it is?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #879 of 4,108
I know you probably can use any, and its probably been talked of already, but short of rereading a load of pages, I was wondering what micro sd cards you guys find best to use with N5ii? I.e sdxc? Is it better to get something with 90-100MB/s? Do faster cards only affect the transfer speed, or, does it affect the speed of scanning through library or changing to another song/album?

I dont really want to shell out loads of money on storage, so I am considering 64/128gb cards which seem to have better value compared to the 256/400 cards (at least on AmazonUK).

There is a lot of choice out there and I just wanted to understand how much impact a faster card has on the DAP past transfering files... I know on cameras a slower card can be debilitating when you are on a shoot and so, I wonder if relative performance issues apply, even though its a DAP and not a camera...

Thanks!

P.s. I can't see what the UHS rating is for the N5ii, does anyone happen to know which it is?

Lately I've been using 256 Samsung and 400gb Sandisk sd cards, never had an issue with these.

Consider also the 200gb micro card they usually cost almost 50% less that the 256GB. I have a couple of sandisk cards and they performed well.

The new microsd cards are Class 10 and they should perform all at the same speed, I've never noticed a any difference in speed.
Re-building the library depend mostly of the amount of files you have.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #881 of 4,108
Lately I've been using 256 Samsung and 400gb Sandisk sd cards, never had an issue with these.

Consider also the 200gb micro card they usually cost almost 50% less that the 256GB. I have a couple of sandisk cards and they performed well.

The new microsd cards are Class 10 and they should perform all at the same speed, I've never noticed a any difference in speed.
Re-building the library depend mostly of the amount of files you have.
Thanks for your reply. Yea they all looked around the same quality and speed (at least the class 10s). Samsung ones rate with the best from what i see.
Considering the Kingston or Sandisk though as they are £36-38 respectively for 128gb whereas the samsung is about £5-6 more.

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #882 of 4,108
This unit has landed in the great frozen tundra.

I have only played music from the card I installed, without looking at any settings whatsoever. That means I have not added apps, tweaked anything, etc.

And it sounds terrific. Easily beats the Shanling M1 and M2S. What does it sound like? A better version of my old but unreliable Shanling M2 (not M2S). Same kind of liquid sound.
Bass is more well defined, and treble does not sound as glossy. Perhaps that is closer to a reference audio spectrum and that is what I prefer. The soundstage is not gigantic but appropriately wide. Frankly, it sounds fairly "live" and that is a compliment. I have tried rock, jazz, and classical. All good.
Have not tried SACD ISO or DSD- DSF files yet. I have tried hi res flac and regular FLAC. Pretty unlikely to listen to compressed music as I reserve that for my iphone and its associated airpods.

I am using a regular cable (not balanced) with the FLC8S. I do have a balanced cable on order.

It also reminds me of the i5 and the Chord Mojo in terms of sound balance.

Update: OK, I have given in to playing around with settings. Put it on wifi; and it automatically found a firmware update. Nice touch. It is downloading the update while I continue to pay Sufjan Stevens Illinoise.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #883 of 4,108
This unit has landed in the great frozen tundra.

I have only played music from the card I installed, without looking at any settings whatsoever. That means I have not added apps, tweaked anything, etc.

And it sounds terrific. Easily beats the Shanling M1 and M2S. What does it sound like? A better version of my old but unreliable Shanling M2 (not M2S). Same kind of liquid sound.
Bass is more well defined, and treble does not sound as glossy. Perhaps that is closer to a reference audio spectrum and that is what I prefer. The soundstage is not gigantic but appropriately wide. Frankly, it sounds fairly "live" and that is a compliment. I have tried rock, jazz, and classical. All good.
Have not tried SACD ISO or DSD- DSF files yet. I have tried hi res flac and regular FLAC. Pretty unlikely to listen to compressed music as I reserve that for my iphone and its associated airpods.

I am using a regular cable (not balanced) with the FLC8S. I do have a balanced cable on order.

It also reminds me of the i5 and the Chord Mojo in terms of sound balance.

Update: OK, I have given in to playing around with settings. Put it on wifi; and it automatically found a firmware update. Nice touch. It is downloading the update while I continue to pay Sufjan Stevens Illinoise.
Great album.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #884 of 4,108
Now fiddling with my first SACD ISO rip. Procol Harum; A Salty Dog. Gosh this is fun. Great tunes and great machine. My perquisite Miles Davis Kind of Blue is coming soon. That and Beck's Sea Change are usually in the first hour of rotation on any new machine. The Sea Change test has already been performed and all parameters were a go.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #885 of 4,108
Now fiddling with my first SACD ISO rip. Procol Harum; A Salty Dog. Gosh this is fun. Great tunes and great machine. My perquisite Miles Davis Kind of Blue is coming soon. That and Beck's Sea Change are usually in the first hour of rotation on any new machine. The Sea Change test has already been performed and all parameters were a go.

SEA CHANGE is one of my go to albums too. It does a great job of telling me how well a piece of gear can do a wide variety of important things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back