Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #826 of 4,108
Mine did that too today, everything orange turned blue, was going to ask here if there was something i'd done accidentally to change it (having never used an Android device before) but did a restart and it was back to normal - strange!
I may be wrong about the musical note animation but my understanding was, it was showing me I could swipe in any direction from the note outwards to unlock.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #827 of 4,108
So booting into the boot loader and doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I can finally go through the initialization process. So sd cards are detected and I can play music. However while my synology and plex servers are seen, as soon as I try to access any files, 'the cayin audio has stopped' error is shown and the device crashes. Has anybody experienced a similar problem in accessing music on their network and is there anything I can try. The network feature was a key factor in choosing this dap. Thanks.

Interesting. I am reviewing this forum because I am thinking of purchasing the Cayin N5II. But as it happens I too have a Synology router and use Plex. Now, you have me reconsidering this.
One question I have is are scanning for a 2.4Ghz or 5GHz WiFi connection? Maybe try one or the other and see if it still crashes the DAP.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #828 of 4,108
So, my N5ii is scheduled to arrive today at work. I will pick up tomorrow. Hopefully I have made a great choice in the DAP, however, as I continue to monitor this thread, it seems I may not have. Let's see what happens! Will keep all updated as to my journey with the N5ii.

Please keep the feedback and concerns as well as positives coming!

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #829 of 4,108
I purchased this DAP last week (still waiting for them to go back into stock) and have also followed the various issues that have cropped up. But many people have brought this DAP and have had no issues. People often only come forward when there is an issue. But even that is fine too as Cayin have proven that they tackle any glitches as they come up in firmware updates.

I feel confident (even without having received the item yet) that the player will be brilliant and if something does occur, that Cayin will fix it.

My two cents

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #830 of 4,108
I'm working on my review. Should be up by the end of the week.

Something of note:

I could hear no difference between the beta unit and the production unit. Andy said there were some minor PCB changes and what have you, but apparently it did not effect the sound. At least not to my ears. I used a line switcher and flipped back and forth as I listened to a few albums, and they both sound equally amazing.
:)

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #831 of 4,108

Something of note:

I could hear no difference between the beta unit and the production unit. Andy said there were some minor PCB changes and what have you, but apparently it did not effect the sound. At least not to my ears. I used a line switcher and flipped back and forth as I listened to a few albums, and they both sound equally amazing.
I'm looking forward to your review Pinky. Would love if you could compare it to the Fiio x3ii or X5ii and include the IT01s if your taking requests. lol, sorry.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #832 of 4,108

Something of note:

I'm looking forward to your review Pinky. would love if you could compare it to the Fiio x3ii or X5ii and include the IT01s if your taking requests. lol, sorry.

And the Opus1s while you're at it. :) Hurry and get them all in before the end of the week.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #833 of 4,108
I don't have any FiiO's on-hand, and have not heard either of the ones you mentioned. Sorry.

But you can count on the IT01 making an appearance. :wink:

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #834 of 4,108
And the Opus1s while you're at it. :) Hurry and get them all in before the end of the week.

As it so happens, I do have the new Opus#1S coming my way. But it won't be ready for critical comparison before this review. I'll have to add it later, maybe. At worse, you'll have to wait for the Opus review, in which I'll surely have a Cayin comparison. :D

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #836 of 4,108
Just received my n5ii. It came with the 2.1 en firmware. Initially it connected to my WiFi network but as i tried to scan for my synology server, the player crashed with the error that Cayin music has stopped. I had to restart and after reboot, it went to region and time settings again. But after that it is stuck on the complete tab saying commencing the ultimate experience with a lock icon in the notification panel if I try and swipe down on the screen. Doing a factory reset does not change anything. Do I have a defective unit? What do i try next? At this time its an expensive paperweight. Thanks for any help.I was excited to receive this. Now I am bummed.
So booting into the boot loader and doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I can finally go through the initialization process. So sd cards are detected and I can play music. However while my synology and plex servers are seen, as soon as I try to access any files, 'the cayin audio has stopped' error is shown and the device crashes. Has anybody experienced a similar problem in accessing music on their network and is there anything I can try. The network feature was a key factor in choosing this dap. Thanks.
Hi, how far was from your N5ii and your router when you tried to access songs in your synology server?were there any other barriers between? What was format of the song you want to access? Did The higher code rate of your songs, the more CPU resources being occupied. Besides, a lot of data are processed and the register and flash memory in the N5ii CPU are used to the extreme during NAS
%W@GJ$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png
connection.So you are recommended to do slow operation when your N5ii connected to NAS.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #837 of 4,108
I'm a sucker for VU meters - anyone know how to keep them as the default? Also, what's the significance of the animated musical note (see pic)? It doesn't seem to serve any function.

Whilst feeling my way through the player as it was performing a scan, the orange elements in the display all turned blue - which I really liked - but I haven't been able to replicate. Was it just to indicate that a background task was in progress?

The numbers in vertical axis stands for gain and 0 is the maximum value. The VU meter is a placyback effect and doesn't serve any other functions.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #838 of 4,108
Imho, Fiio X5iii sucks if you are searching a slightly warm sounding DAP at the same price tag. Checked AR M200? Fiio X7ii with modular amp may suit you(me) if your budget is more.

I am N5ii user, btw.
I would not be excluding X5III that quickly. I, for example prefer it more than my I5, since it has much more sound customization and does not distort at lower bass as I5 does. Also, it is very powerful so It can drive well quite a number of full size headphones without me reaching out for portable amp. I can't say the same for my I5.

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #839 of 4,108
Hi, how far was from your N5ii and your router when you tried to access songs in your synology server?were there any other barriers between? What was format of the song you want to access? Did The higher code rate of your songs, the more CPU resources being occupied. Besides, a lot of data are processed and the register and flash memory in the N5ii CPU are used to the extreme during NAS
%W@GJ$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png
connection.So you are recommended to do slow operation when your N5ii connected to NAS.

Hi Andy,

I appreciate your quick response. I was right next to the server (4-5 feet away). Most of the songs are normal flacs but I did not even get to the point where I could play the songs. Even before the various folders that contain the songs appear, the unit crashes. The only thing is that its a rather large library (800 gigs or so arranged in 200+ folders). Could it be that trying to load the list of folders is exceeding the processing capacity?

Also I am not sure what you mean by " slow operation". I waited a good 3-5 seconds between pressing buttons and waited as long as it took for the folders to appear (30 seconds to 2 minutes in different cases) before the unit crashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back