Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 2, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #691 of 4,108
Hi All, thanks for all your reviews, feedback, thoughts, frustrations, etc...on the N5ii. I have been looking for a DAP and my first thought was A&K, either the Kann or the AK70mkii, however, both are much more than the N5ii. Having said that, I have the following headphones: EL-8 open back and EL-8 Titanium as well as HD800. I'd would love to ask if the N5ii could drive the EL-8 or not. Not worried about the HD800 as that is happy with the Schitt Jotunheim in my office. Really looking for a portable player.
Anyways, so far I really like what I've read even with some of the charing issues, glitches and what not.

-So, can it drive the EL-8 and has anyone tried it?
-Has most of the glitches and charging issues been resolved with updates, etc.?

Would you get an A&K 70Mkii or Kann over this given the price difference? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Tuan

The EL-8 is designed to be driven by smartphones. The Cayin N5II is significantly more powerful.

Full-size headphones I've tried on the N5II:
HD6XX (drives them well.)
NightOwls (drives them very well.)
Meze 99 Classics (drives them exceptionally well.)
Fostex T-X0 (drives them... but only just)

Based on the specs, your EL-8 exists somewhere between the 99C and NightOwl in drive-ability. Probably closer to the 99C.

In other words, you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #693 of 4,108
I usually find the PM3 somewhat laid most of the time unless paired with the right source. It is very linear up until you get to that last bit of air and it rolls off a bit.

My hesitation with the N5ii is that sabre dac. Most implementations I find to have brittle and sometimes artificial treble. Even my DX90 I have is a bit lacking here (which is why I'm replaceing it. It also doesn't have quite the headroom I want for the PM3)

The Sabre chip implementation is excellent. I've been a fan of the AKM 4490 chip until now, so I'm not an expert on Sabre-based DACs. But the N5ii sounds smooth and analog, not brittle or harsh. The tuning is neutral with a slight warmish tilt, with plenty of detail up and down the frequency range. Plenty of headroom with the PM-3, if I'm understanding you correctly. Can be driven to different dynamic level either on low or medium gain.

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #694 of 4,108
i had Fiio F9 and tried it with Cayin N5 which i find the vocal is quite laidback to my liking (compared to my Aune M1s.) I also tried the Fiio F9 to Cayin I5, and while the vocal is quite forward, they feels a bit bright and i find the low a bit lacking (plus that hiss on the I5). Given that, will the N5ii suits me?

also, has anyone compared this to ak100ii? i saw that both currently have a similar price tag here and i was curious as to where to go from the M1s.

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #695 of 4,108
Anyone having issues storing offline content from streaming apps? Player complains it is running out of storage but there is 25GB free of internal memory. I also tried to move my Apple Music to an SD card but the option is disabled.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #696 of 4,108
I've never heard the X5iii before so I can't say how it pairs. Generally, though, people seem pretty high on the N5ii compared to all other mid-tier DAPs, including the X5iii. From what I've read the FiiO sounds thinner than the Cayin, so if you already find the PM-3 a bit too lean, you'll probably prefer to pair it with warmer, fuller sources like the N5ii. The part that is totally subjective and harder to talk about in objective terms.

You mean that N5ii is even thicker and more smoothed out that X5-3?

I usually find the PM3 somewhat laid most of the time unless paired with the right source. It is very linear up until you get to that last bit of air and it rolls off a bit.

My hesitation with the N5ii is that sabre dac. Most implementations I find to have brittle and sometimes artificial treble. Even my DX90 I have is a bit lacking here (which is why I'm replaceing it. It also doesn't have quite the headroom I want for the PM3)

Most current Sabre implementations are actually really good, and there's a good reason why most high end DAPs rely on Sabre chips, they really do their jobs well, while sounding very detailed and well extended.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #697 of 4,108
Well, that’s it, I’ve pulled the trigger. It was a toss up between this and the Pioneer xdp-300r(£329) but not sure about the supplier of xdp-300, plus there’s the battery life and volume cap issues with the Pioneer.

Amp3 in the UK N5ii plus leather case £277. 15% off until 5/1

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #698 of 4,108
I have been experiencing something weird with my unit. The volume adjustment screen sometimes shows up whenever I do the following:

1. Connect a Type-C USB cable to the unit.
2. Connect a 3.5mm earphone.
3. Turning the unit on to see what song is playing.

I just had the unit last Saturday and updated it to the latest FW on the same day. Didn't really tinkered with the unit 'till Sunday and started noticing this. Is anyone experiencing this? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #699 of 4,108
Hello again sir Andy or Cayin or anybody, just like to ask if the usb audio out is functioning or not? Because Ive tried connecting my Firefly Black with an usb c adapter, the Firefly's led do comes on but there's no sound coming out of my phone.
Do I need to change some settings or I'll need some special cable? Help please and thanks :sweat_smile:

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #700 of 4,108
I have been experiencing something weird with my unit. The volume adjustment screen sometimes shows up whenever I do the following:

1. Connect a Type-C USB cable to the unit.
2. Connect a 3.5mm earphone.
3. Turning the unit on to see what song is playing.

I just had the unit last Saturday and updated it to the latest FW on the same day. Didn't really tinkered with the unit 'till Sunday and started noticing this. Is anyone experiencing this? Can anyone suggest a fix?

I've seen some of this too. Should be easy enough for Cayin to fix in the next firmware.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #701 of 4,108
You mean that N5ii is even thicker and more smoothed out that X5-3?

You know, I'm not doing a very good job of paraphrasing Lieven's Headfonia review. I was trying to say the N5ii does a better job of expressing the entire frequency range than the X5, but with vague memories attached. I should just leave the comparisons to the people who have actually heard the devices. That said, he does end up liking the N5ii more than the X5, but finds the X7 to be superior. Personally, I am into Cayin's house sound, which should be of note to Sabre DAC haters since their implementation is uncharacteristic of that chip. And it also sounds like Cayin's balanced circuitry/signal path is superior to FiiO's.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #702 of 4,108
You know, I'm not doing a very good job of paraphrasing Lieven's Headfonia review. I was trying to say the N5ii does a better job of expressing the entire frequency range than the X5, but with vague memories attached. I should just leave the comparisons to the people who have actually heard the devices. That said, he does end up liking the N5ii more than the X5, but finds the X7 to be superior. Personally, I am into Cayin's house sound, which should be of note to Sabre DAC haters since their implementation is uncharacteristic of that chip. And it also sounds like Cayin's balanced circuitry/signal path is superior to FiiO's.

Sabre can be smooth as butter, yet well detailed and happy!

I have seen almost only musical implementations of Sabre since the first one I have used, which was DX200 from iBasso, I think that only some Sabre chips were a bit strange, because all new ones are extremely musical and sweet, and I trust Cayin did a good job implementing it!

Jan 3, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #703 of 4,108
Spent some good time with the N5II today.

Damn, what a beautiful DAP.

N5II 08.jpg

N5II & IT01 01.jpg

Back 02.jpg

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #704 of 4,108
Nice!

I've finally put my money where my mouth is and ordered one from amp3. Back in stock and with 15% off now's a good a time as any.

Only got a pioneer xdp100r which I quite like the sound of (or I'm growing used to it!) but it's quite a chunky device (more in line with a phablet) so I'm hoping the cayin is a bit smaller! Should get it tomorrow hopefully.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #705 of 4,108
Nice!

I've finally put my money where my mouth is and ordered one from amp3. Back in stock and with 15% off now's a good a time as any.

Only got a pioneer xdp100r which I quite like the sound of (or I'm growing used to it!) but it's quite a chunky device (more in line with a phablet) so I'm hoping the cayin is a bit smaller! Should get it tomorrow hopefully.

The N5ii is really compact, not like the pioneer that looks just like a smartphone.

And the best part is the OS, even if it’s an android os, Cayin has been able to developed keeping in mind that is an audio player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back