Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #721 of 4,108
Had a quick play and slowly getting used to it. One thing I don't like is it getting warm! Will have a longer play over the weekend.
If you dont like the dap getting warm, you should go with sony 1A/Z. Those daps never get warm, stay cool all day and night. The rest i think they will get warm a bit. For N5ii, i think its not too bad. Most of the time i put it into my jean pocket, buy its still comfortable w/ leather case.

Btw, still waiting for my 3rd N5ii...

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #722 of 4,108
If you dont like the dap getting warm, you should go with sony 1A/Z. Those daps never get warm, stay cool all day and night. The rest i think they will get warm a bit. For N5ii, i think its not too bad. Most of the time i put it into my jean pocket, buy its still comfortable w/ leather case.

Btw, still waiting for my 3rd N5ii...

Unfortunately due to Sony Stupidity, until they get podcast/audiobook support back on the players I'm not going anywhere near them! That's why I got back into android players, so I can at least download a 3rd party app for them. Had a sony a35 which ticked all the boxes aside from the aforementioned lack of podcast support, had a fiio x5-III which I really didn't get on with and finally a pioneer xdp100r which does run cool, but is a bit big for every day use. That's why I was interested in trying out the cayin.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #723 of 4,108
I have the X5iii and have grown into it. Not a bad UI but not my preferred navigation. Sound is great, for my tastes. Disappointed balanced was a lower power. I get why they did it, just not great. I have been really looking into the N5ii. I had an N3 but couldn't get used to its UI. Good sound. I was hoping the N5ii might work out. Lots to consider...just waiting for now.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #724 of 4,108
I have the X5iii and have grown into it. Not a bad UI but not my preferred navigation. Sound is great, for my tastes. Disappointed balanced was a lower power. I get why they did it, just not great. I have been really looking into the N5ii. I had an N3 but couldn't get used to its UI. Good sound. I was hoping the N5ii might work out. Lots to consider...just waiting for now.

I do believe the X5III has a turbo balanced mode which now outputs a lot more on the 2.5mm socket.
If thats any help to you.

Back to the Cayin N5II great dap for the money and physical dimensions.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #725 of 4,108
I do believe the X5III has a turbo balanced mode which now outputs a lot more on the 2.5mm socket.
If thats any help to you.

Back to the Cayin N5II great dap for the money and physical dimensions.

Thanks,
I have seen that in 1.1.9, just haven't updated yet.
Still, the N5ii is calling to me. A lot of the comments here have really started doing their work on me.
Trying to justify another DAP (or sell the X5iii).
Cheers

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #726 of 4,108
Okay so FW 2.1 has fixed a lot of the gripes I had before.

Whilst using Apple Music I can now skip tracks with the device locked and the screen off, as well as skip tracks while not having the Apple Music app open on the screen itself, neither which were possible before.

Everything is much more snappy also.

Looks like I'll be keeping this and selling my Mojo :)

Now to hunt for balanced 2.5mm 2 pin cables for my Fourte!

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #727 of 4,108
How does this compare sound-quality-wise to the AK120ii? They're almost identical in form and while the n5ii is a few years newer and several times cheaper, used AK120ii's are starting to get pretty close in price.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #728 of 4,108
Had a quick play and slowly getting used to it. One thing I don't like is it getting warm! Will have a longer play over the weekend.

IMO, nothing wrong with it getting warm. There's a lot going on with the DAP and high quality components, it's bound to generate a little heat. I doubt it would do any harm to the player or the battery. Its probably just a figment of my imagination, but I associate a little heat with excellent quality audio, probably from my experience with home audiophile gear.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #730 of 4,108
Joining the club, purchased yesterday so hope to have my unit in the next week or so. Will be loading up my album collection to 2 x cards as I am not a "streamer".

Same here, as of a couple hours ago. Added an Ares II balanced cable to the order too. Should go well with the T8ie mkii's.

I only wish the N5ii came with a 4.4mm jack like the Walkmans instead of the 2.5mm jack. Have never used a 2.5mm before but it looks way too flimsy.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #732 of 4,108
How does this compare sound-quality-wise to the AK120ii? They're almost identical in form and while the n5ii is a few years newer and several times cheaper, used AK120ii's are starting to get pretty close in price.

Don't forget that at this stage the used ak120ii's batterys could be questionable depending on how much they have been used.

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #733 of 4,108
Don't forget that at this stage the used ak120ii's batterys could be questionable depending on how much they have been used.

Funny you guys mentioned ak120ii :wink:, from a distance:

cayin_n5ii_x06.jpg cayin_n5ii_x07.jpg cayin_n5ii_x08.jpg cayin_n5ii_x09.jpg cayin_n5ii_x10.jpg cayin_n5ii_x11.jpg cayin_n5ii_x12.jpg cayin_n5ii_x13.jpg

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #734 of 4,108
My two cents:

I found the Opus#1 to be very nearly the equal of the AK120II. And I've already shared my thoughts on how the N5II is a little better than Opus. So... read into that what you will.
:wink:

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #735 of 4,108
Can the unit technically be opened up and the battery be replaced by the user without needing to solder anything? I know this typically voids warranty, but I'm thinking more down the line and longevity. After using the device for a couple years a battery swap will probably be in order as the battery will be weakening and warranty will be long over.

When provided with proper instruction,open up the unit should be fairly straight forward, I didn't check with the battery connection of N5ii but my guess is you need to do some simple soldering to replace the battery, any local repairman and do that in no time.

However, the problem that stop us from doing this is not technical consideration. We simply can't find any fright forwarder willing to accept one piece of uninstalled Li-On battery, they'll only accept installed battery. In other word, the only option is to send the DAP back to us, we'll install the new battery at our factory, and then send it back to you.

If anyone can source a fright forwarder to accept uninstalled Li-On battery, please let me know, Cayin will be more then happy to sell you a new battery and let you replace it yourself.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back