Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #707 of 4,108
I had submitted my return through Amazon but never got around to sending it off yet, I have until February stuff. I've been extra busy over the past two weeks so I'm applying the 2.1 firmware as we speak to see if I like the way it performs now. There were some hiccups with Apple Music play that hopefully are resolved.

I originally planned to keep my Mojo with my Tia Fourte but I'm actually getting a bit fed up of the sound, I'm almost getting headaches after 30 minutes of listening with that set up, I think it may be the upper end. I'll see how the N5ii pairs with them one more time.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #711 of 4,108
Yeah I can't seem to find it cheaper anywhere, I am currently in Japan so may purchase it from Bic Camera. It's around 46,250jpy before tax so it might be best to get it here.
I bought mine from A1 future shop's ebay store (used 10% coupon but that seems to have expired).
If you are in Japan at present try Yodabashi as well and you can usually get 5% off if you use a visa card (as well as the tax off).

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #712 of 4,108
I tried USB from the N5ii to my Qyestyle CMA400i and DSD will not play smoothly. Flac files choke, make clicking and popping noises. I never tried my phone before, but it works great via USB to the DAC/Amp.

Maybe I should try the USB C to coax cable....

Also, my N5ii can’t drive my Aeon closed very well.

I like the Hiby software. I might just return the N5ii and order an R6.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #713 of 4,108
I had submitted my return through Amazon but never got around to sending it off yet, I have until February stuff. I've been extra busy over the past two weeks so I'm applying the 2.1 firmware as we speak to see if I like the way it performs now. There were some hiccups with Apple Music play that hopefully are resolved.

I originally planned to keep my Mojo with my Tia Fourte but I'm actually getting a bit fed up of the sound, I'm almost getting headaches after 30 minutes of listening with that set up, I think it may be the upper end. I'll see how the N5ii pairs with them one more time.

Definitely try it with fw2.1, for sure an improved experience. Then, do a detailed a/b comparison with Mojo. Regarding pair up with Fourte, I heard that Mojo has a fuller/warmer sound, thus I don't expect N5ii to be even warmer (Fourte is bright, at least for my ears), but you have to try it yourself. And make sure you listen from N5ii balanced output, that will scale up your experience :wink:

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #714 of 4,108
Definitely try it with fw2.1, for sure an improved experience. Then, do a detailed a/b comparison with Mojo. Regarding pair up with Fourte, I heard that Mojo has a fuller/warmer sound, thus I don't expect N5ii to be even warmer (Fourte is bright, at least for my ears), but you have to try it yourself. And make sure you listen from N5ii balanced output, that will scale up your experience :wink:

Yeah lately I have been finding my Mojo to be too warm with the Fourte.

Unfortunately I don't have a balanced cable. :|

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #716 of 4,108
Sold out again at amp3! Either they got a small amount in, or this things going like hot cakes. Mine got delivered today but not had a chance to open it up yet. Something for the weekend.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #717 of 4,108
Well, I'm completely underwhelmed with the FiioX5iii (coming from a DX90). Rolling tubes in my ZDS brings about a bigger difference than using these two daps. Think I'm going to give this one a try. Is the balanced out a significant difference for those that have had time with both? I'd hate to have to buy an expensive balanced cable for my PM3 just to try out the N5ii.

Perhaps the PM3 just doesn't scale with gear as much though.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #718 of 4,108
I JUST ORDERED MY FIRST QUALITY DAP!!!!
Only had cheap Chi-Fi £20 jobbies before. Most I spent on a portable player prior to this was whatever the ipod classic 120gb cost in 2008!

I brought, you guessed it, the Cayin N5ii on Advancedmp3players in the UK and after the 15% off it was £254. Haven't tried it but I feel like I got a right bargain there..

@davidcotton Yea, it was also out of stock so will have to wait until it becomes available again, but I am happy to wait. Get my inventory in order!

Haven't been this excited in ages!

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #719 of 4,108
Well, I'm completely underwhelmed with the FiioX5iii (coming from a DX90). Rolling tubes in my ZDS brings about a bigger difference than using these two daps. Think I'm going to give this one a try. Is the balanced out a significant difference for those that have had time with both? I'd hate to have to buy an expensive balanced cable for my PM3 just to try out the N5ii.

Perhaps the PM3 just doesn't scale with gear as much though.

Wouldn't worry about being underwhelmed by the fiio, so was I. I had it twice and sent it back twice (once was at a really good price of £214 in the uk!).

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #720 of 4,108
Had a quick play and slowly getting used to it. One thing I don't like is it getting warm! Will have a longer play over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back