Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #736 of 4,108
Gorgeous looking device! @Andykong any plans for the Jan N5ii Tour?

Certainly, but the timing is not confirmed, I want to wait for one more firmware update before I send out tour sample all over the world, so February is more likely.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #737 of 4,108
So far the only issue I have is that the one third party app I want to use is skipping like mad. Keeps toggling between play and pause. Works fine on the other android player I have. Just tried with the updated firmware and still not good :frowning2:

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #738 of 4,108
I have three daps that i'm looking at, this one, the fiio x5iii and the onkyo dp-s1, i like the looks & specs of the n5ii, but the battery issue which
hung031086 is having, has me balking a bit, but i do really like the form factor of the n5ii. anyone else having issues with the battery not charging properly?

I was a bit worry when I read your question because I missed the best timing to respond to your post, but I am relieved when I read-on, I didn't expect so many users/reviewers will come forward to testify their N5ii experience immediately. The N5ii is only one-month old in the market and we have a very supportive on-line community already. In regardless of the final market acceptance of N5ii, I think we have achieved something remarkable already, haven't we?

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #739 of 4,108
@Andykong

Received N5II latest firmware pre installed many thanks.

Three things when i hit track forward or back volume screen appears (all be it very briefly)
On DSD playback can we have an option to select native as well as other two options currently there.
(As the Hiby music app allows this and Cayin version is modded on Hiby.)

Lastly any chance of Custom EQ being implemented allowed for DSD playback and third party apps.

All in great little Dap

Thank you

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #740 of 4,108
Can you please share your thoughts on their pairing? I am loving the IT01s with my fiio x3ii but I am dying to try them out balanced.

@scotvl the N5II is a great choice for the IT01. I'm not using balanced with this IEM, as I really like the sound of the stock cable. Together, this setup is very smooth and clean, highly detailed and spacious, with strong dynamics. I can't imagine anyone not loving it.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #741 of 4,108
After the v2.1en update, N5ii really has improved a lot. The UI respone is much faster now and using third party apps also improve no crash so far. But I still cann't get the LAN function working, everytime I choose the function a message pops up stating "Unfortunate Cayin Audio has stopped.", can someone help me step by step how to set up? maybe I need to fix someting on the PC side?:relaxed:

I assume you couldn't get to the WiFi password screen from what you have described?

Can you take a photo of the N5ii screen with error message and PM to me? Details of the router will also be helpful.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #742 of 4,108
Anyone else get a lot of interference on WiFi?

Can you describe the interference you are having with N5ii? Constant low-level hiss? shuttering on playback? short-term hissing that last for a couple second only? What IEM/headphone are you using with N5ii? You can hear the WiFi interference with every headphone you used?

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #743 of 4,108
Late to the party, as usual; but in talking to @PinkyPowers yesterday at our “mini-meet,” he suggested I stay up on this little critter.

I did thoroughly enjoy the i5, when I had it on tour, and in reading Pinky’s thoughts/comments I am enthralled! Plus, @Andykong is a definite benefit to this site and Cayin...top class professional who loves his job (and a hard one, it is!).

Good to see another buddy showing up in the N5ii thread. Want to sign up as Tour reviewer again? :grin:

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #745 of 4,108
Ok, burn-in has really improved the sound of this little wonder. I’m really digging this sound and I love the form factor a lot. I wish etymotic had the balanced cables they promised a year ago but the sound out of the 3.5 port is very good. Mezzes sound fantastic as well.

I don't have any scientific answer to the burn-in process but it just work. Not very dramatically but noticeable in my experience.

For another unknown reason, Mezz always sound good with Cayin DAP. We like each other so much that we'll attend the CanJam New York as partner in a private listening room, to encourage show visitors listen to us as a pair :beerchug:

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #746 of 4,108
Good to see another buddy showing up in the N5ii thread. Want to sign up as Tour reviewer again? :grin:

You bet I do! I talked to @nmatheis and he told me it would be a good idea. :darthsmile:

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #747 of 4,108
If I put a compilation on there, do I see all the individual artists in the 'Artist' list or do I see 'Various Artists'? Even the default 'Google Play Music' gets this right but so far I haven't encountered a DAP that does.

The DAP will display "Various Artists" because the file has tag the Artist field as "Various Artists". Google Play Music get his right because they have make sure the Artist field is correctly filled with the name of the Artist. You can manage the tag of your music file by filling in the name of Artist correctly. Once you done that, the music file should be able to displayed correctly in ALL DAPs.

I use MP3Tag, a very useful freeware on music tag management, maybe you can give it a try.
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #748 of 4,108
Thanks for your thoughts, I know what you mean about the IT01s cable it's gorgeous and well built and I'd probably have to spend as much as I did for the IT01s to get a 2.5mm balanced cable of the same quality. I love the pairing of the x3ii and the IT01s but I've been hearing details that I've never heard in music I've listened to for years even with the IT01s and I think they deserve a more resolving DAP to really let them shine plus I would like to be able to use Spotify on a quality DAP for discovering new music.
I wish I could find a show close to the Windsor/Detroit area that I could hear the Mkii.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #749 of 4,108
@scotvl the N5II is a great choice for the IT01. I'm not using balanced with this IEM, as I really like the sound of the stock cable. Together, this setup is very smooth and clean, highly detailed and spacious, with strong dynamics. I can't imagine anyone not loving it.

Totally agree with @PinkyPowers on this one. I've been using IT01 + N5ii ass my go-to at work when I want to block out my coworkers and get things done. Good synergy between the two. Things up!

You bet I do! I talked to @nmatheis and he told me it would be a good idea. :darthsmile:

:punch::punch::punch:

Someone asked earlier about N5ii compared to a phablet, so here are a couple pics of N5ii vs OnePlus 5 in a clear TPU case. N5ii is obviously thicker but also has much smaller footprint. Speaking of footprint, N5ii footprint looks very similar to iPhone 4.
IMG_20180106_111114-01.jpeg
IMG_20180106_111057-01.jpeg

Having had the beta testing N5ii and now the final N5ii, I appreciate Cayin's attention to detail. The final model has increased chamfering around the perimeter which helps it feel less chunky than the beta testing unit. The final model for better in your hand. I also really like the increased detents in the volume knob which provide tactile and audible feedback as you adjust the volume. The beta testing unit has very subtle detents, so it was mostly smooth as the knob was turned. I really like the final clocky knob better. Nice improvements in the final design that many people wouldn't know about if Cayin weren't so transparent in their design and testing process. Kudos to Cayin and @Andykong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back