Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 31, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #662 of 4,108
Has anyone tried pairing this with the Oppo PM3? I'm trying to decide between the N5ii and X5iii specifically for the Oppo.

Yeah, I messed around with the pairing while on vacation. They work really well together with the N5ii on medium gain! Very punchy and dynamic (with some decent rumble in the sub-bass), and you don't notice the treble roll off as much you get the really solid mid presentation. Vocals are rich and intimate. And I still haven't had a chance to run them balanced yet.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #663 of 4,108
Anybody compared this to the Opus#1?

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #664 of 4,108
Jan 1, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #665 of 4,108
Can anyone confirm the sorting order when clicking the Genre tab. Does it go to Artists after that? I currently own the Fiio X5ii and it drives me crazy that it goes directly to Albums and Songs with no ability to see Artists after Genre is clicked. I find myself using the Fiio directly thru my SD cards as opposed to their built in music player.

This one looks really nice, I'm planning on selling the Fiio and moving on.

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #666 of 4,108
You can go to whatever dab you want. Artist, Genre, Album, and Folder buttons are all visible from the home screen.

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #668 of 4,108
You can go to whatever dab you want. Artist, Genre, Album, and Folder buttons are all visible from the home screen.
Jumping in, that wasn't the question. I also have the same question.

What do you see next after choosing a 'Genre'?

Also does it sort by 'Album Artist'?

If I put a compilation on there, do I see all the individual artists in the 'Artist' list or do I see 'Various Artists'? Even the default 'Google Play Music' gets this right but so far I haven't encountered a DAP that does.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #669 of 4,108
Sorry. I only ever browse by folder on any DAP I use, so these questions didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Here are photos. I hope they help.

The first photo is Home Screen.

N5II Screen 01.jpg
N5II Screen 02.jpg
N5II Screen 03.jpg

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #670 of 4,108
Sorry. I only ever browse by folder on any DAP I use, so these questions didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Here are photos. I hope they help.

The first photo is Home Screen.

Hey Pinky , thanks for the great pics. i am new to the N5II forum and i had a question about the N5II that i hadn't seen asked yet {so there might not even be an issue) but i know when i purchased the N3 awhile back there was a limit on how may files the player could recognize at once. For example i like to shuffle my entire library when i listen and the N3 originally had a limit of 12,000 filesit could handle at once, so shuffling everything didn't work. Shortly after that a firmware update was released raising that limit to 20,000 files. is there any such limitation with the N5II? I would assume there are folks here who use their DAPs in this manner and i haven't seen any comment on the issue but just wanted to check.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #671 of 4,108
Jumping in, that wasn't the question. I also have the same question.

What do you see next after choosing a 'Genre'?

Also does it sort by 'Album Artist'?

If I put a compilation on there, do I see all the individual artists in the 'Artist' list or do I see 'Various Artists'? Even the default 'Google Play Music' gets this right but so far I haven't encountered a DAP that does.
I was annoyed by this too, after you select genre, it goes right to individual songs! Not sure if there's a way to set it up differently. As opposed to my old ipod that went from genres to artists. I don't use genres because of this. It is pretty quick to scroll through the whole artist list, so it's not that bad.

As far as the sorting, I uploaded a disc with various artists and it has the album broken out into individual tracks tagged with each artist. But, I think it depends on the tags. Whatever the artist is tagged as, it will get sorted that way, regardless of the album.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #672 of 4,108
So how does the N5ii improve on my daily driver N5 and is it worth upgrading? I’m not really that in need of streaming music, as my music is stored on cards.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #674 of 4,108
I've been listening to the N5ii paired with the Oppo PM-3 in balanced mode this morning and I'm happy to report it's an excellent pairing. Soundstage and imaging are improved, as are the dynamics across the board. Somehow, they're even punchier when run balanced. I have to turn these down below 60 on louder tracks to prevent my eardrums turning into mush.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #675 of 4,108
Somehow, they're even punchier when run balanced. I have to turn these down below 60 on louder tracks to prevent my eardrums turning into mush.
Good to know that our Cayin friends have maintained the high amp output that was also the forte of the first gen N5. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back