Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,292 of 4,108
Isn't there a site you could download it from and transfer it to the sd card on the device, like the X5 III?

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,293 of 4,108
Cayin, thank you for the update.

For me, the google drive download was meaningfully faster than the other method. Like mored than 5x faster. Almost speedy vs. pokey. Other users; try it you may like it.

Also, for other users, just copy the compressed, zip file to your N5II. That was not too clear to me from the instructions. Uncompressed to me implies that I should decompress the file; that is not correct.

So far the unit is more stable when browsing files which is a big deal

The unit still does not know how to count....what is mean is that 201 comes before 2 in terms of how it treats file numbers.
I also think the bug where is starts songs about 1/2 second into the beginning was there in my first tests.

Still, it seems quite a bit more stable and that is a nice start.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,294 of 4,108
If you find the download speed is surprisingly slow, it probably because a lot of users are trying to download the package at the same time. Please try our mirror link on the firmware download page. This is a Google Drive download link, so the download speed should be relatively stable. I am not sure if you can save the file to your personal Google drive and download from there, which should further isolate your from the short term peak load.

Firmware Mirror.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,295 of 4,108
If you find the download speed is surprisingly slow, it probably because a lot of users are trying to download the package at the same time. Please try our mirror link on the firmware download page. This is a Google Drive download link, so the download speed should be relatively stable. I am not sure if you can save the file to your personal Google drive and download from there, which should further isolate your from the short term peak load.

Thanks,
I miss that link.

I can confirm it's much faster to download the new FW!

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,296 of 4,108
Cayin, thank you for the update.

For me, the google drive download was meaningfully faster than the other method. Like mored than 5x faster. Almost speedy vs. pokey. Other users; try it you may like it.

Also, for other users, just copy the compressed, zip file to your N5II. That was not too clear to me from the instructions. Uncompressed to me implies that I should decompress the file; that is not correct.

So far the unit is more stable when browsing files which is a big deal

The unit still does not know how to count....what is mean is that 201 comes before 2 in terms of how it treats file numbers.
I also think the bug where is starts songs about 1/2 second into the beginning was there in my first tests.

Still, it seems quite a bit more stable and that is a nice start.

Our mistake, we have had this confusion previously and we changed the instruction already, but we are careless here and fall back to the previous instruction. I'll ask our webmaster to correct this first thing tomorrow. For the moment, Please use the following instruction instead:

Option 1: Local Upgrade Procedures

Because the file size of the N5ii firmware is relative large (around 300+ MB), the most efficient option is to download the firmware package with wired network and perform the firmware upgrade manually as follow:
  1. Download firmware upgrade package from Cayin website, you should receive a compressed document N5MK2-ota-XXXX.zip
  2. Do not DECOMPRESSED the firmware upgrade package, copy the zip file to the root directory of internal storage or TF card of N5ii as-is.
  3. Hold on the previous key of right side panel and then press Power On/Off button until the player go into recovery mode.
  4. Specify firmware file location with the Volume control or previous/next buttons,
    • select “apply update from internal storage” if the firmware file is stored on internal storage, Click Power button to confirm your selection.
    • select “apply update from external storage” if stored on TF card. Click Power button to confirm your selection.
  5. You can move up and down to select xxxxx.zip via volume or previous/next buttons and press power button to activate the upgrade process.
  6. N5i will automatically go back into recovery operation screen, select “reboot system now” and press power button to reboot into regular operation.
PS. The firmware download page has been corrected, sorry for all the inconvenient caused.

Last edited:

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,297 of 4,108

Thanks for the tip-off of the week!... I'm lucky enough have a Gigafast connection & the first download method was still indicating a 4 hr wait... Took less than 5 seconds with the Google drive link!

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,298 of 4,108
only 6 more hours to finish the download.

I finished the download in about 6 hours after all. To be expected with a user base as large as Cayin has! :darthsmile:

I had no idea there was a G.Drive link, but the download finished all and well from the original link :smile_phones:

At least so far :)

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,299 of 4,108
First, thanks for the tip about leather case several pages ago. It fits perfectly!

I have updated to the new firmware 3.0cn and all seems well. But I didn’t have much problems before. Is it any difference other than play store between cn and en firmware?

I use Tidal and Roon and it works pretty well. However, with Tidal I have no option to save offline files to my SD card. Also have Spotify and there I have the option. Anyone know if it’s possible to save tidal offline to SD card and in that case how?

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,300 of 4,108
First, thanks for the tip about leather case several pages ago. It fits perfectly!

I have updated to the new firmware 3.0cn and all seems well. But I didn’t have much problems before. Is it any difference other than play store between cn and en firmware?

I use Tidal and Roon and it works pretty well. However, with Tidal I have no option to save offline files to my SD card. Also have Spotify and there I have the option. Anyone know if it’s possible to save tidal offline to SD card and in that case how?

CN version is only recommended to use in China mainland which doesn't have Googleplay pe-installed. However, EN version has Googleplay installed.

For tidal offline storage location issue, my colleague Andy has explained the situation previously before:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-73#post-13991523

Last edited:

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,301 of 4,108
I gotta say, I'm having the hardest time getting my iMac to see the N5ii's internal storage as a USB drive. Nothing I do gets my computer to recognize it, even when the prompt to turn "USB storage" on appears. I can't think of any other way to get the firmware update onto the device itself...

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #1,302 of 4,108
I gotta say, I'm having the hardest time getting my iMac to see the N5ii's internal storage as a USB drive. Nothing I do gets my computer to recognize it, even when the prompt to turn "USB storage" on appears. I can't think of any other way to get the firmware update onto the device itself...
My Mac mini has an SD card slot, so I put the micro SD in the SD adapter that comes with the card and it reads it without any issues. Don't know about iMac though. I take it your using the stock cable, right?

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,303 of 4,108

I don't have a imac ,so I cannot test it on my own for you.And truth be told, I haven't receive a single similar feedback so far. But my colleague Andykong has recommended a dual drive card reader previously, I think this will "kind of" making your TF card recognized by your iMac easily:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013OIGJFE?tag=vig-20

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,304 of 4,108

What OS are you on? Im on High sierra without any issues, plug in, clikck turn on usb storage ( dap on usb mode ) and all cards pop up on the screen

New soft installed swiftly. First thing to notice is that when unit is powered and cans on your head, a second of music playback will occur. It has something to do with resume when let function.

Will be testing in further :)

Flickering screen still present. Usb playback still no good so will stick to coax. Just fed up with all the screen questions if I want to connect, than tick the box for the unit to remember and after it reboot itself maybe it will work.
Which has also an issue as music can stop for few seconds and than resume.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,305 of 4,108
You may try installing a browser (e.g. Firefox) and download the file from there. I recommend using the Google Drive link on Cayin's website as it is significantly faster than downloading the file from Cayin's servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back