Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,946 of 4,108
Hi,

I would like to ask Cayin. I owned Cayin N5ii and my 1 year guarantee period ended. Yesterday, 2.5mm jack loose just happened, so I think I want to change the jack to CUI brand like N5iis with local shop audio repair man (in Thailand). So I would like to ask what kind of CUI connector model should I buy from the picture (A,B,C or D)

Best regard,

We just resume duty from our 70th National Anniversary holiday, sorry for the late response.

N5iiS uses SJ2-25414D-SMT and this can fit into N5ii if worked it out carefully. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #3,947 of 4,108
Hey Andy,

Is this unit at the end of software support; or is there still the possibility of a release to fix some of the usb input / output issues? Also is there any remote chance of implementing the changes (which I suspect are small) to support Amazon HD streaming or even local storage?

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #3,948 of 4,108
Hey Andy,

Is this unit at the end of software support; or is there still the possibility of a release to fix some of the usb input / output issues? Also is there any remote chance of implementing the changes (which I suspect are small) to support Amazon HD streaming or even local storage?

We didn't have any firmware update plan for N5ii or N5iiS at this stage. There are some known shortcomings with N5ii/N5iiS, we have tried but unfortunately we couldn't deliver a perfect solution. We won't entertain new feature request either, so unless there is a new bug coming out suddenly that require immediate attention, otherwise the current firmware will be the final firmware release for N5ii and N5iiS.

Last edited:

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #3,949 of 4,108
We just resume duty from our 70th National Anniversary holiday, sorry for the late response.

N5iiS uses SJ2-25414D-SMT and this can fit into N5ii if worked it out carefully. :beerchug:
Thanks for your information. :D

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #3,950 of 4,108
We didn't have any firmware update plan for N5ii or N5iiS at this stage. There are some known shortcomings with N5ii/N5iiS, we have tried but unfortunately we couldn't deliver a perfect solution. We won't entertain new feature request either, so unless there is a new bug coming out suddenly that require immediate attention, otherwise the current firmware will be the final firmware release for N5ii and N5iiS.

I am curious how far the current state of this unit is from the original product specifications. In particular, wasn't this supposed to be able to act as a USB DAC?

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #3,952 of 4,108
Hey, tried loading the latest version of the Amazon app. Got to the point where it found my artists from other devices; but it won't play anything or download anything. Error 205.

I can even get it to show lyrics on some songs; but the playback wheel just spins. So close yet so far.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #3,953 of 4,108
@Andykong how to fixed a bootload stuck?
wait until Battery run out? other options?

Extremely sorry for the late response.
Press the power on button continuously for 12 second, this will force the player to software reset.

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #3,954 of 4,108
Extremely sorry for the late response.
Press the power on button continuously for 12 second, this will force the player to software reset.
Just want to update, Alrd tried to push power button, but it wont reset.
Already bring this to a technician, it just replug the battery, and it backs to normal...

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #3,955 of 4,108
Had a listen to the DX160 just now. It improves upon every aspect of the N5ii while having a similar signature.

Looks like I found my upgrade :)

Oct 26, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #3,957 of 4,108
I appreciate the comment on ibasso. Their units highly interest me. I hope to come back to Cayin for new units at some time; but this experience has been a mixed bag. Lately I have been looking at ibasso, Shanling, and maybe even going way back to FIIO.
I just look at how good a product is without looking at the brand. If a company has a really good product, then they have my attention.

It would be nice to see Cayin compete in the price range of the DX160/M11 as well but unfortunately they went so far up with the N6ii leaving a massive price gap in their product stack.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #3,958 of 4,108
I just look at how good a product is without looking at the brand. If a company has a really good product, then they have my attention.

It would be nice to see Cayin compete in the price range of the DX160/M11 as well but unfortunately they went so far up with the N6ii leaving a massive price gap in their product stack.

Yes, but aftermarket support matters a lot to me.

For example, Andy always struck me as a very excellent person and I assumed the company had his back. I had problems with my Cayin when first purchased but didn't return it because I had the sense from him that an upcoming software release would fix the issues. Well that update made it somewhat better but the unit has never really been stable until the latest release.

If Cayin just got the unit to its original specifications of features I would be a happy camper. But the device reached end of support really quickly and until the last release was quite the dog. And still some key USB features are not there an simply never will be. Short version: Support matters not just hardware.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #3,959 of 4,108
Yes, but aftermarket support matters a lot to me.

For example, Andy always struck me as a very excellent person and I assumed the company had his back. I had problems with my Cayin when first purchased but didn't return it because I had the sense from him that an upcoming software release would fix the issues. Well that update made it somewhat better but the unit has never really been stable until the latest release.

If Cayin just got the unit to its original specifications of features I would be a happy camper. But the device reached end of support really quickly and until the last release was quite the dog. And still some key USB features are not there an simply never will be. Short version: Support matters not just hardware.
That is true. The only thing that really bothered me was the play/pause delay and luckily that was solved. I don't use the N5ii as a transport so I don't have any issues with that but it will certainly be a drawback for others.

Support wise Cayin is good, though having a faultless device would have been better. While the 2 RMAs I've had to make went smoothly, the downtime was annoying.

The DX160 has some issues too at the moment. But hey, at least it sounds good. That's the most important part to me as long as it isn't unusable levels of bad.

Subpar sounding players don't even get a consideration from me. The M11 was quite underwhelming (The Pro version is good tho a bit warm for my taste).

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #3,960 of 4,108
I do wish I can use this with my iPhone as a DAC. But apparently there are known bugs with the DAC function.

I know Tidal has been a big deal for many. In my case, I would like support for Amazon HD. Would love to know if any units support that since Cayin has been clear that they will not support anything new on the N5II; its a dead unit for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back