Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,086 of 4,108
Same with me, I've done two cycles, zero freezes, also no new apps installed, no Wifi, audio priority mode only BUT I connected it to my Mac to download music files on both SD cards plus the internal memory, no issues there either.
Good to know :) thanks

I still won't be connecting it to pc yet just in case since originalsnuffy(I think) said that he thinks that the file management of the N5ii is not too stable.

Edit: Yeah I was right
With regard to adding files and then having problems, here is something that sometimes helps. On my unit it is really easy to corrupt the "file system" on individual memory cards. With Windows 10, I periodically run chkdsk. There is also a program called DiskFresh that I have used for similar reasons.

Transferring files to and from this unit is a buggy process right now. I am not entirely sure that Cayin intends to address it.

Last time I brought up the USB issues Cayin simply pointed me to a section in this long thread about USB issues. The long discussion left me with the impression that the USB subsystem was not particularly well implemented in the hardware design.

I still think some software tweaks can subdue most of the problems.

I have been left with the impression that Cayin is not even trying to fix the USB transfer issues which is a problem in its own right. Maybe Cayin can pipe in and set the record straight.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2,087 of 4,108
The new players you have over there are not showing any signs of being buggy?

We have run into random freeze, crash or hand up situation with new player, but very rare, less then one out of a hundred only in our regular QA test

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,088 of 4,108
We have run into random freeze, crash or hand up situation with new player, but very rare, less then one out of a hundred only in our regular QA test
Ah, so it is present. The rarity of the occurrence may be attributed to the (relatively) short QA time compared to real life usage.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #2,089 of 4,108
Ah, so it is present. The rarity of the occurrence may be attributed to the (relatively) short QA time compared to real life usage.

You can put it this way. We test each and every units when they left production line, I don't know the duration involve to conduct the prescribed QA test, but I don't it will be something that takes several hours to complete.

But this is not the main point. The problem is even after we are aware of the problem and conducted a large scale debugging test with over 40 units of N5ii playing non-stop for hours, we can observed the random freeze bug (but still no where near the frequency that has been suggested by some of the users here), and we can't identify the cause of the bug so far.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 6, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,090 of 4,108
You can put it this way. We test each and every units when they left production line, I don't know the duration involve to conduct the prescribed QA test, but I don't it will be something that takes several hours to complete.

But this is not the main point. The problem is even after we are aware of the problem and conducted a large scale debugging test with over 40 units of N5ii playing non-stop for hours, we can observed the random freeze bug (but still no where near the frequency that has been suggested by some of the users here), and we can't identify the cause of the bug so far.
If I may chime in, you may want to get in touch with the people at HiBy. The Hidizs AP200 exhibits the exact same behaviour, though it is less frequent (I got 4 freezes today on ~4 hours listening, my N5ii can freeze up to every single track in a 20-track album). This tells me that the issue may be in how the low-level software manages the hardware, though that's just my personal guess.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,092 of 4,108
If I may chime in, you may want to get in touch with the people at HiBy. The Hidizs AP200 exhibits the exact same behaviour, though it is less frequent (I got 4 freezes today on ~4 hours listening, my N5ii can freeze up to every single track in a 20-track album). This tells me that the issue may be in how the low-level software manages the hardware, though that's just my personal guess.
That's crazy frequent, try clearing cache. Something is DEFINITELY WRONG with your player.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,093 of 4,108
Hi Cayin, is it possible that you write and introduce another OS or skin alternative for Hiby and let the user choose which to use.
Maybe it's the compatibility of Hiby which is causing the bugs. Just a suggestion :smile_phones:
That would be very unlikely.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,095 of 4,108
Can Anyone help me to compare the N5 II with:
1/ Aune M2 - M2PRO
2/ Shanling M3S

Thank you alot !
I didn't try out the normal M2 but I did try out the M2PRO. The M2PRO is much much warmer compared to the N5ii. I didn't like the way it smoothes over micro details. The N5ii is much more neutral, transparent and energetic sounding. Both are equal soundstage wise but the N5ii has a much clearer soundstage.

I was going to get the M2Pro at first due to claims of superb sound for the money. Didn't know about the N5ii at all then. I didn't like the warm sound of the M2Pro and so I tried out other demo DAPs. That was when the N5ii caught my attention :)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #2,096 of 4,108
Can Anyone help me to compare the N5 II with:
1/ Aune M2 - M2PRO
2/ Shanling M3S

Thank you alot !

I compared the M3s in my review.

http://theheadphonelist.com/truth-beauty-and-greatness-a-review-of-the-cayin-n5ii/

At $269, the Shanling M3s (Review HERE) is a great budget-friendly alternative. It shares quite a lot in common with the N5ii in terms of tuning. Still, there’s no question to my ears Cayin is the more robust device. There’s greater note weight and a more realistic portrayal of depth. The elements on the stage are just a little more three-dimensional. Oh, and the N5ii is wider-sounding.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,097 of 4,108
I didn't try out the normal M2 but I did try out the M2PRO. The M2PRO is much much warmer compared to the N5ii. I didn't like the way it smoothes over micro details. The N5ii is much more neutral, transparent and energetic sounding. Both are equal soundstage wise but the N5ii has a much clearer soundstage.

I was going to get the M2Pro at first due to claims of superb sound for the money. Didn't know about the N5ii at all then. I didn't like the warm sound of the M2Pro and so I tried out other demo DAPs. That was when the N5ii caught my attention :)

Thank you two, If I prefer a Balance, Bright Side with (very) wide Soundstage Sound-Sign to listen for a long time which DAP should I choose Among Them?

Looking forward for some others to COMPARE The Aune M2 Pro (S) with Cayin N5II since people saying that the M2 PRO is the BEST SOUND among MID-Tier Daps (At $500 USD M2 can be compare to the 2000 USD AK240 !!! )

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #2,098 of 4,108
Thank you two, If I prefer a Balance, Bright Side with (very) wide Soundstage Sound-Sign to listen for a long time which DAP should I choose Among Them?

Looking forward for some others to COMPARE The Aune M2 Pro (S) with Cayin N5II since people saying that the M2 PRO is the BEST SOUND among MID-Tier Daps (At $500 USD M2 can be compare to the 2000 USD AK240 !!! )
That is exactly what I read. It was quite disappointing when I tried it out in person
:frowning2: I have never tried out the AK240 so I have no idea whether it's supposed to sound like the M2Pro.

Anyways, the M2Pro doesn't fit your preference (mine too) and the M3s has weaker soundstage compared to the N5ii.

So what are you wanting for? :)

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,099 of 4,108
That's crazy frequent, try clearing cache. Something is DEFINITELY WRONG with your player.
Been there, done that. To no avail, alas. My case may be extreme, but it only shows that the problem is there and needs to be solved. Practical example: all tracks from "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" by Mayhem (not exactly hi-fi, I know :D) skip. So do tracks from Massive Attack's "Mezzanine". That's when I keep the player tucked away in my trousers while walking around, so no user interaction that could over-saturate CPU usage.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #2,100 of 4,108
Been there, done that. To no avail, alas. My case may be extreme, but it only shows that the problem is there and needs to be solved. Practical example: all tracks from "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" by Mayhem (not exactly hi-fi, I know :D) skip. So do tracks from Massive Attack's "Mezzanine". That's when I keep the player tucked away in my trousers while walking around, so no user interaction that could over-saturate CPU usage.
Instead of resetting from recovery mode, have you tried the android reset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back