Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #2,071 of 4,108
Id be waiting for a later batch unit rather than firmware. Seems like newer N5iis work better.
That's another point to the topic! How come where are two batches, a good one and a bad one? And how can I make sure I'm buying a device from the right batch?

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #2,072 of 4,108
That's another point to the topic! How come where are two batches, a good one and a bad one? And how can I make sure I'm buying a device from the right batch?
What's your serial number? Mine is SLC520602414

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #2,073 of 4,108
What's your serial number?
I have already sent my device back, sorry. And I think I got carried away a bit with my activity here, just throwing out last bits of frustration with my N5II experience. But I still would be interested to know how to recognize a device from the "normal" batch.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #2,074 of 4,108
I did try out the 4.4mm output of the WM1A but it was via 4.4 BAL out to 3.5mm se out adapter. I don't have any balanced IEM's so I can't say for sure.

Using the balanced out, I did hear some subtle differences, soundstage width was better on congested tracks and as a result the instrument separation was a touch better. Bass is still boosted and will still muddy up some bassier songs.

Do take note this was without volume matching and A/B-ing. That's why I didn't share my impressions on the balanced out initially, the comparison may not be very reliable.

I have a selection of songs that easily reveal specific aspects of sound. Some are for testing micro detail, some for sibilance, some for soundstage and so on. I try to cover as many aspects as possible so its more compatible with most people.

The balanced output of WM1A is significantly better then the 3.5mm output, I have no idea whether the adapter will compromise the audio performance significantly, but when I audition WM1A with the same Z1R but with 3.5mm and 4.4mm cable, I really WOW when i go for 4.4mm, it is a big different.

The 2.5mm vs 3.5mm in N5ii is still obvious, but less significant, and the overall sound signature is maintained across two headphone outputs.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 6, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,075 of 4,108
One question I did have before I bought this DAP was if the Plex app could be installed and would work. I am happy to report that it does in fact install and it works well.

Hopefully others will find this thread if they are looking an answer.

Loving my N5ii so far. Thanks!

Thanks for the update, this is most helpful. :beerchug:

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #2,076 of 4,108
Hi Andy, thank you for your explanation. Yes I shouldn't have mentioned out of sync video in DAC mode, I know it's due to how your hardware is implemented, and it's fine with me basically. Regarding the testing I still believe that your unit should be playback interruption free before the release, I don't mind other UI related issues, but playback is the most crucial. Now, I realize Cayin is working hard on fixing named playback related bugs, but who knows how long it's gonna take to fix them all, something is telling me it might be a matter of a few more updates which will spread for a good while, and I don't want to wait and hope all this time, I just want to enjoy my music nuisance free. I'm sure many other users would support such attitude. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, the N5II is defected and there is no guarantee it can be fixed. Or is there? If so, when approximately can we expect that? Thank you.

I certainly have no problem with your decision, consumer has different behavior pattern and they have every freedom to do whatever within their right. I fully understand that using a DAP with random pause bug can be frustrated, and if you decided not to wait, that's is perfectly OK, but on the other hand, if someone decided to wait, that is also perfectly OK. I want to see people respect your decision, and I also want to see those who decided not to wait, respect others who decided to wait for a while, that's fair and consistent.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,077 of 4,108
The balanced output of WM1A is significantly better then the 3.5mm output, I have no idea whether the adapter will compromise the audio performance significantly, but when I audition WM1A with the same Z1R but with 3.5mm and 4.4mm cable, I really WOW when i go for 4.4mm, it is a big different.

The 2.5mm vs 3.5mm in N5ii is still obvious, but less significant, and the overall sound signature is maintained across two headphone outputs.
Did you use balanced IEM's when testing the 4.4mm output?

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #2,078 of 4,108
I fully understand that using a DAP with random pause bug can be frustrated, and if you decided not to wait, that's is perfectly OK
But can you confirm these bugs can be fixed through firmware updates and how much time approximately it might take? The thing is I don't think Cayin will be giving any definitive information in that respect thus leaving users uncertain, which is not good because waiting for bug fixation might take a very long time... I'm only talking based on my experience with Fiio (others demanded that, it was fine with me as long as it plays back smoothly) when they couldn't fix file sorting for many FW updates, instead they promised every time to "communicate this to our engineers", and the N5II's bugs are more serious and more difficult, imo.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #2,079 of 4,108
Another day, another 5min and 2 reboots before i get to listen music.
On the good side of things, clearing cache did work on interruptions hurrah.
I do love what im hearing still but software is still experimental and once r3 arrives i might just have enough..
Ps. New bug just as im writing. Can't pull down menu to put brightness up.. Arghh

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #2,080 of 4,108

There are two batched of N5ii with different behavior on random pause bug? I didn't aware of that, can something teach me how to differentiate the different? :anguished:

From what I observed, only a small proportion of users suffers from the random pause bug seriously. I normally use 3-4 hours as the "average" daily use amount of DAP, so 1 or more random freeze per day is serious, only 1 freeze in 2-3 days of regular use is acceptable (because my Android mobile phone will also crashed in similar frequency). and there are users that didn't experience any random pause at all.

Please be reminded that I am using "user" as the subject as there are still possibilities that the bug is related to operation pattern, and I didn't imply there are different batch of N5ii with reference to the random pause bug.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,081 of 4,108
But can you confirm these bugs can be fixed through firmware updates and how much time approximately it might take? The thing is I don't think Cayin will be giving any definitive information in that respect thus leaving users uncertain, which is not good because waiting for bug fixation might take a very long time... I'm only talking based on my experience with Fiio (others demanded that, it was fine with me as long as it plays back smoothly) when they couldn't fix file sorting for many FW updates, instead they promised every time to "communicate this to our engineers", and the N5II's bugs are more serious and more difficult, imo.

I am being unscientific to offer any promise if I can't identify the root cause of the problem, even I am 99% sure this is a software problem and confident that all software problem can be solved, I still can't promise anything until we have CATCH the bug. This is logical and being trust worthy.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #2,082 of 4,108

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #2,083 of 4,108
There are two batched of N5ii with different behavior on random pause bug? I didn't aware of that, can something teach me how to differentiate the different? :anguished:

From what I observed, only a small proportion of users suffers from the random pause bug seriously. I normally use 3-4 hours as the "average" daily use amount of DAP, so 1 or more random freeze per day is serious, only 1 freeze in 2-3 days of regular use is acceptable (because my Android mobile phone will also crashed in similar frequency). and there are users that didn't experience any random pause at all.

Please be reminded that I am using "user" as the subject as there are still possibilities that the bug is related to operation pattern, and I didn't imply there are different batch of N5ii with reference to the random pause bug.
Since Andy talked about it, I'd like to let it be known that my ongoing test is takes 100% to 20% as a single day of use which is about 10 hours. Currently it's at 2 and a half cycles and hasn't froze once.

(The player is still in a just-out-of-the-box state, nothing installed, WiFi and bluetooth are still unused as I haven't gone out of audio priority mode, I haven't connected it via USB to a PC yet either)

I'll only slowly enable and test each of those one by one if it runs 7 cycles without freezing. If it doesn't, then it'll confirm that the firmware is indeed unstable.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #2,084 of 4,108
I am being unscientific to offer any promise if I can't identify the root cause of the problem, even I am 99% sure this is a software problem and confident that all software problem can be solved, I still can't promise anything until we have CATCH the bug. This is logical and being trust worthy.
The new players you have over there are not showing any signs of being buggy?

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,085 of 4,108
I normally use 3-4 hours as the "average" daily use amount of DAP, so 1 or more random freeze per day is serious, only 1 freeze in 2-3 days of regular use is acceptable

Since Andy talked about it, I'd like to let it be known that my ongoing test is takes 100% to 20% as a single day of use which is about 10 hours. Currently it's at 2 and a half cycles and hasn't froze once.

(The player is still in a just-out-of-the-box state, nothing installed, WiFi and bluetooth are still unused as I haven't gone out of audio priority mode

Same with me, I've done two cycles, zero freezes, also no new apps installed, no Wifi, audio priority mode only BUT I connected it to my Mac to download music files on both SD cards plus the internal memory, no issues there either.

The new players you have over there are not showing any signs of being buggy?

Not at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back