Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,101 of 4,108
Instead of resetting from recovery mode, have you tried the android reset?
Do you mean by installing another launcher and resetting the cache from the app info screen? If that's the case, yes, I tried that. I even tried the hard reset way (or "double wipe", as Cayin and Andy call it).

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,102 of 4,108
Do you mean by installing another launcher and resetting the cache from the app info screen? If that's the case, yes, I tried that. I even tried the hard reset way (or "double wipe", as Cayin and Andy call it).
Not that, I meant doing a reset from inside settings.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #2,103 of 4,108
Not that, I meant doing a reset from inside settings.
There's no difference. The reset inside settings is just a graphical wrapper that issues a command to the recovery firmware, which then proceeds to reset the device. They do the same thing.

Apr 7, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #2,104 of 4,108
There's no difference. The reset inside settings is just a graphical wrapper that issues a command to the recovery firmware, which then proceeds to reset the device. They do the same thing.
I did that, then the recovery reset.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,106 of 4,108
So can i confirm the protocol please, is it:

Have the sd card in slot and then do a "format" or card or factory reset?

Then do the same thing again before proceeding?

Sorry im an idiot
What do you want to do?

Do a clean reset?

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2,108 of 4,108
Yea just what you did to try and stop buggyness.
Just wanted to clarify the steps
Many thanks
Software reset from inside settings IMG_20180408_212942.jpg

Then reset from inside recovery mode

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,110 of 4,108
Great many thanks.

So this doesnt affect the SD card? I dont have to format that too?

Best
I doubt formatting the SD card will help honestly speaking.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,111 of 4,108
In order to catch this nasty bug, we have developed a special beta firmware to keep track of the machine status, the player will operate in developer mode with this beta firmware and generate a log entry whenever the DAP is freezed during playback. We are in the process to recruit beta testers who has experienced frequent freeze or pause during their daily use, we hope the beta firmware will record detail of machine operation status and review the root cause of the bug.

Right now the Beta firmware is only available in Domestic (no Google Play) version. Once we field tested the beta firmware, we'll extend the bug status collection to oversee users. I'll issue a call for beta tester notice here and in the main thread.

We have devoted a lot of resource trying to trace the issue with no luck, let's hope we can identify the root cause of this bug as soon as possible.

As discussed previously, we have developed a beta software to collect information of the player when it pause randomly. The firmware can't generate on all "pause" or freeze" pattern, so we are focused at the "pause and resume to operation automatically after a designated time" situation for the moment. We can expand to other condition if we can't catch the bug afterward.

If your N5ii have experienced the random pause/freeze frequently and is willing to help out , I'd like to invite you to join our user debug program. You'll be given a beta firmware and you need to submit the log of your player through email after you have experienced a system pause or freeze during playback. We'll provide detail instruction and firmware download link when you are selected as a beta user.

Drop me a PM with your email and a brief description to your N5ii random pause problem (frequency of pause, how long does it take to resume operation, ...). While we want to include as many beta tester as possible, but we have to set a limit on the size of beta user group in order to make this manageable, we;ll see what happen as the program kick start.

Looking forward to some good news from this beta user group soon.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,112 of 4,108
1st bug since reset. I'm currently at 3.7 cycles (+- 37 hours). The device lagged for a little while then rebooted on its own. This proves that although the firmware is not flawless yet, 1 bug per 37 hours of constant playback is not too bad.

HOWEVER, no freezing during playback yet O.o, no sight of the bug.

I'll keep doing this till I complete 7 cycles.

(I'm a bit disappointed to be honest having come so far XD, I had hoped it would be flawless, got my hopes too high :p )

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,113 of 4,108
I did that, then the recovery reset.
I'm afraid that is the same as doing the recovery reset twice. Two may be better than one, but I don't think this is really going to affect any bugs caused by the firmware as it seems the case here. Bugs happen, that's a truth we have to live with - I just hope Cayin (and possibly HiBy?) will find the root cause(s) soon and solve them swiftly. Once we take a few bugs out of the equation, I love this player and I look forward to using it as my daily driver, it is superb in every respect.

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,114 of 4,108
Today I experienced the "pause and resume" bug for the first time. I'm on my 3rd cycle. I moved to the next song and then back, and the bug disappeared. Hasn't reappeared so far.
All else works flawlessly.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,115 of 4,108
Today I experienced the "pause and resume" bug for the first time. I'm on my 3rd cycle. I moved to the next song and then back, and the bug disappeared. Hasn't reappeared so far.
All else works flawlessly.

Still on my first power cycle. Thought I had the pause issue, but I think the screen was still active and it paused when I put it in my shirt pocket..

I have had the blurry album art issue. Only on 1 track I have seen though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back