Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,561 of 4,108
I don't really like earbuds because they leak sound both in and out. They also have inferior detail compared to in ears. I have tried out the VE Asura 2.0 before and though it gave me an improved opinion of earbuds It wasn't my cup of tea.

Personally I like to go for very technical iems with excellent clarity and detail.
Earbuds have progressed another step up now I feel, the VE earbuds have brought popularity back to earbuds but now earbuds have moved forward again.

They won’t match the really expensive IEM’s like Andromeda’s or the like but nor should they at 1/3 the price. For around $100-300 they are good price to performance though and I dislike the seal of iems congesting the sound like closed backs compared to the more open back nature of earbuds.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,562 of 4,108
Some SPOTIFY - N5 Questions:
2. is it really that laggy? keyboard is quite laggy when trying to use Spotify. in any case I plan to just use Spotify on the N5 for downloading and listening to albums/songs I cant purchase locally in FLAC or CD via offline mode. I dont wanna bother with streaming much since I can just use my phone for that.

You can go to the Android settings and adjust the keyboard under "Language and inputs" (or something like that). There you can turn of stuff like button animations which gave me a noticeable improvement of speed for the stock players search function. Should apply to other apps, too.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,563 of 4,108
I ran into a bug today. On three different tracks the player stopped producing audio for a brief period. When I replay the tracks the work without any problems. Two of the tracks were downloaded from Presto Classical, the third was from a cd I ripped at home.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #1,564 of 4,108
I think some people also have similar problems. When I listen Spotify in offline mode using external USB DAC/Amplifier)(IFI Micro Idsd Black & Chord Mojo), it suddenly stops playing when it tries to play next song as soon as the current playing song ends. I need to restart the device and play the next song manually. It happens very often and it is really annoying.

In addition to this, unexpexted crashes(it stops playing the song) occur during listening from directly balanced headphone out of N5ii, which requires a restart.

Were these bugs/issues identified before and will they be resolved on the next firmware update?

Edit: When I listen Spotify in offline mode, it frequently stopped randomly. All I can do is only rebooting the device by pressing power button for a long time.I use the latest firmware 3.1En by the way.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,565 of 4,108
I ran into a bug today. On three different tracks the player stopped producing audio for a brief period. When I replay the tracks the work without any problems. Two of the tracks were downloaded from Presto Classical, the third was from a cd I ripped at home.
That's a known freezing bug. Many others including myself has experienced it. It occurs randomly without any pattern.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #1,566 of 4,108
That's a known freezing bug. Many others including myself has experienced it. It occurs randomly without any pattern.

I so want to purchase one of these and was intending too on Monday but went out of stock a few days ago from the only supplier in England who also sell on amazon uk ...they will hopefully get some soon but these bugs concern me , I do understand that most daps when released come with bugs nowadays, I owned original fiio x7 and I still own opus1 both had bugs and the x7 was notorious in the beginning took them ages to get it right.
But most of the bugs were superficial especially on the opus1 i.e you could live with it, do you guys that own think I should hold off till more stable or are the bugs livable?

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,567 of 4,108
I so want to purchase one of these and was intending too on Monday but went out of stock a few days ago from the only supplier in England who also sell on amazon uk ...they will hopefully get some soon but these bugs concern me , I do understand that most daps when released come with bugs nowadays, I owned original fiio x7 and I still own opus1 both had bugs and the x7 was notorious in the beginning took them ages to get it right.
But most of the bugs were superficial especially on the opus1 i.e you could live with it, do you guys that own think I should hold off till more stable or are the bugs livable?
I had an Opus#1 too but really like the sound quality of the N5ii plus the streaming via apps from Google Play store. Yes I have some random freezes but I don't know a better DAP in this price range. So I am happy.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,568 of 4,108
They are pretty minor to me. A little annoying but nothing major.

The only more annoying one is the freezing bug. The rest such as the inverted colours one can be solved with a simple restart.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,570 of 4,108
I had an Opus#1 too but really like the sound quality of the N5ii plus the streaming via apps from Google Play store. Yes I have some random freezes but I don't know a better DAP in this price range. So I am happy.
I have the metal edition of the Opus 1 and it has a most annoying quirk. It has to finish scanning a file before you can play it even in folder browser mode.

The Cayin N5ii sounds better too :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,571 of 4,108

Keep an eye on the amp3 clearance section. A couple of weeks ago there were 3 box opened (returned?) n5II's on the site for £181.00 or so.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,572 of 4,108
Thanks guy's for your input...i don't have any experience with cayin, are they good at consistently updating the firmware?
The N5ii got an update before Christmas (v3.1en) and IF I don't remember wrongly there will be a new one in March. Seems pretty good to me.

And now that Joe Bloggs is no longer in FiiO, they no longer have the best customer service. On head fi at least.

Cayin has Andy who is just as good as Joe Bloggs. Very dedicated man.

Feb 24, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,574 of 4,108
The N5ii got an update before Christmas (v3.1en) and IF I don't remember wrongly there will be a new one in March. Seems pretty good to me.

And now that Joe Bloggs is no longer in FiiO, they no longer have the best customer service. On head fi at least.

Cayin has Andy who is just as good as Joe Bloggs. Very dedicated man.

Sounds good...the fiio x7 in my opinion was not right until x5iii launch then it was awesome....didnt know joe bloggs had left.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #1,575 of 4,108
Sounds good...the fiio x7 in my opinion was not right until x5iii launch then it was awesome....didnt know joe bloggs had left.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/joe-bloggs-will-be-leaving-fiio.802352/
Dear all,

I would like to inform you that, as a result of company reorganization, I will be removed from the FiiO organization as of the beginning of April. As a result of this:

- I cannot answer any pm's directed to me regarding FiiO products with any official authority anymore
- The "Don't be shy, contact us directly with problems with your FiiO!" thread will be maintained by other FiiO staff.
- The Skype FiiO direct helpline account "joe0bloggs" will be returned to my personal use instead of answering queries on FiiO.

Please direct your queries to James, FiiO, Shadow or Sunny.

As always, happy listening, and I'll be seeing you around yet!

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung (aka Joe Bloggs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back