Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,532 of 4,108
Hmmm, that's disappointing. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but kindof annoying on a basically $400 player. I guess I'll see how the next few days go. Otherwise the build feels ROCK SOLID and the sound is immediately engaging and impressive, even compared to my Modi 2>Asgard 2 desktop rig. Currently playing The Goat Rodeo Sessions on the T20RP MkIII
Almost positive it is intentional. My clicks correspond to increases in volume. I actually really like it as I know when I've increased by 1 without looking. It also has good feedback and feels very solid in rotation.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,533 of 4,108
Almost positive it is intentional. My clicks correspond to increases in volume. I actually really like it as I know when I've increased by 1 without looking. It also has good feedback and feels very solid in rotation.

Ooh, ok so yours DOES click? HD800NL said his doesn't and had me worried. If that's how they all are, then cool :)

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,534 of 4,108
It IS intentional. They purposely made it click for more tactile feedback.

FYI The pre production units didn't have precise clicking. Each click didn't correspond to an increase. I guess Cayin heard the beta testers and decided to make it better.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,535 of 4,108
Howdy all, I just got my hands on my N5ii and good god does it lay a beating on my xDuoo X10 (which is to be expected).
How long did you have the Xduoo X10? Did your unit experience sound degradation? (unnoticeable unless you have a reference)

Comparing my first impressions with the X10 and the N5ii I'd say the N5ii has the soundstage of the Opus and the instrument separation of the X10. Can't remember exactly about the detail and clarity but both were very good. The biggest difference imo was how deep the bass on the N5ii goes. It's just in a completely different league.

Then there's also the fact that Xduoo has a few annoying ass bugs such as some files refusing to play suddenly due to "error file". Battery life is also significantly improved (nearly double). Album arts are also rendered properly.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,536 of 4,108
15413C50-C17E-45C0-B538-320A8679BAEA.jpeg
15413C50-C17E-45C0-B538-320A8679BAEA.jpeg
The app has no option to select another card. So it's a Tidal app limitation, not a DAP issue.

I’m not familiar with Android, currently running Apple. But, I have seen multiple sources say there is the ability to download to SD card on Android. See blow

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,537 of 4,108

I’m not familiar with Android, currently running Apple. But, I have seen multiple sources say there is the ability to download to SD card on Android. See blow
yes but the N5ii is running on a heavily modified version of android

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,538 of 4,108
Hmmm, that's disappointing. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but kindof annoying on a basically $400 player. I guess I'll see how the next few days go. Otherwise the build feels ROCK SOLID and the sound is immediately engaging and impressive, even compared to my Modi 2>Asgard 2 desktop rig. Currently playing The Goat Rodeo Sessions on the T20RP MkIII
The match with planars is great. I have an OPPO PM3 and a MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed here :)

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,539 of 4,108
Ok. I get it. At CanJamNYC, the Cayin rep said it was a limitation of the app not the device. I was not buying the explanation, now I understand it’s a limitation of the android modification.
Thanks for info!

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,540 of 4,108
Howdy all, I just got my hands on my N5ii and good god does it lay a beating on my xDuoo X10 (which is to be expected). I do have one question, do y'all's volume knobs click? There are no physical notches in the knob's travel, but it makes a clicking sound inside the unit as it is turned. Sounds a little odd for something somebody actually intended, is this normal?
It's clicking here and it is an intended feature as far as I know. Each click also has a slight tactile feedback to help you "feel" the volume adjustment.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,541 of 4,108
@Slater91 can you share some thoughts on the Aune M1s? Before I got the N5ii I read that it was a superb sounding player for the price..... IF, you could live with the UI

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,542 of 4,108
How long did you have the Xduoo X10? Did your unit experience sound degradation? (unnoticeable unless you have a reference)

Comparing my first impressions with the X10 and the N5ii I'd say the N5ii has the soundstage of the Opus and the instrument separation of the X10. Can't remember exactly about the detail and clarity but both were very good. The biggest difference imo was how deep the bass on the N5ii goes. It's just in a completely different league.

I've only had my X10 since about November, and I can't really say if the SQ has degraded in that time. Is that a common issue with the X10s? I can say that it's still more impressive sounding than my phone, but after hearing the N5ii I have no idea when I'd ever use the X10 again. This thing is just in such a different league than the xDuoo in basically every category (ESPECIALLY UI, cause god is the X10's UI bad). Frankly, I think the xDuoo is going on the marketplace along with my CEntrance DACport Slim.

Currently running N5ii in LO mode>little dot MkII with '79 Russian gold grid power tubes and '84 GE JAN driver tubes>DT880-600ohm, listening to Herbie Man - Push Push, and it's just bliss.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,543 of 4,108
Some SPOTIFY - N5 Questions:

Just tried it out yesterday and im a bit confused... first android with 2 SD card slots.

1. where do the downloads go? I want it to go to the internal storage but the Android/data/ Spotify folder is empty? Does it create downloads as hidden files? I also noticed that my 2 SD cards have the same Android/data spotify folders... I never changed the download location to an SD card via the spotify app

2. is it really that laggy? keyboard is quite laggy when trying to use Spotify. in any case I plan to just use Spotify on the N5 for downloading and listening to albums/songs I cant purchase locally in FLAC or CD via offline mode. I dont wanna bother with streaming much since I can just use my phone for that.

3. Any way for Spotify to just show locally downloaded songs/albums? I pretty much have no need for the others if I wont do much streaming on the N5 since I dont have open wifi at work anyway... Ill just use my phone or FLAC files stored on the SD card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back