Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,546 of 4,108
@Slater91 can you share some thoughts on the Aune M1s? Before I got the N5ii I read that it was a superb sounding player for the price..... IF, you could live with the UI
Sure thing. The Aune M1s is my reference when it comes to sound as it is as linear as can get. It's fast and it is able to power practically anything on the market - I didn't try super-high-impedance cans, but it drives my HD6XX and HE-560 just fine. Though it's linear and neutral, it is very entertaining and engaging - definitely not boring nor "flat" (in a negative sense).
The UI is pretty basic and has its quirks, but it's overall really simple, intuitive and easy to use. I personally like it - it's just the bare basics to get the thing working, and it works well.
Of course, there's a huge difference between the N5ii and the M1s. They're not even comparable - it's like comparing a Nokia 3310 to a smartphone, in the sense that both allow you to talk and send messages and do it well, but then the smartphone also has a thousand other features. It just depends on which features you want/need.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,547 of 4,108
Sound comparison? I have compared the two myself but just want to know your opinions.

Personally I found the N5ii to be clearer, more detailed with a larger soundstage and better instrument separation. Also, that bass depth is something of have only heard on the N5ii.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,548 of 4,108
I’m finding the n5ii slightly more rough/grainy in the vocals than I’d like. Preferencing texture and weight over smoothness which is ok but I’d like it to be both.

Cannot fault the overall signature but I do wish it was slightly smoother and slightly warmer in the mids.

The low end and depth is impressively full and textured and the treble is just about right to add air without becoming fatiguing.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,549 of 4,108
I’m finding the n5ii slightly more rough/grainy in the vocals than I’d like. Preferencing texture and weight over smoothness which is ok but I’d like it to be both.

Cannot fault the overall signature but I do wish it was slightly smoother and slightly warmer in the mids.

The low end and depth is impressively full and textured and the treble is just about right to add air without becoming fatiguing.
Maybe it's your gear thats in the way. I don't hear vocal grainyness even with very revealing iems.

What I do notice is that some poorer recordings with sound artefacts are more noticeable.

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,550 of 4,108
Maybe it's your gear thats in the way. I don't hear vocal grainyness even with very revealing iems.

What I do notice is that some poorer recordings with sound artefacts are more noticeable.

+1.
I never find any grainyness with N5ii but in bad recording/low res files.
It's so smooth, some even said it's like buttered on vocals.

So if you find it to be grainy, please do test it with another set of cans and tracks first.
If it's still not to your liking, maybe you'd better buy a Calyx M or Sounddroid Valoq.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,551 of 4,108

+1.
I never find any grainyness with N5ii but in bad recording/low res files.
It's so smooth, some even said it's like buttered on vocals.

So if you find it to be grainy, please do test it with another set of cans and tracks first.
If it's still not to your liking, maybe you'd better buy a Calyx M or Sounddroid Valoq.

It’s being compared with my lg v20 and iphone 6s as sources. Both being smoother in the mids but only the v20 closely matching it in quality, the 6s lacks depth and some finer details in comparison.

I’ll try it with other gear and report back.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,552 of 4,108
Oh I’m using spotify extreme by the way.

Ok so with some of my other gear I noticed a lesser difference of smoothness (very negligible differences overall but still there if you listen closely, although this may be the more revealing nature of this dap). But I’m not digging the vocal tonality still.

I know myself that I prefer a slightly warm tilt (although not anything too dark) but I find this cayin dap to be slightly too neutral for me.

I’m not getting that lush vivid presentation of vocals I was looking for when I heard the high praise these got in the midrange presentation.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,553 of 4,108
Oh I’m using spotify extreme by the way.

Ok so with some of my other gear I noticed a lesser difference of smoothness (very negligible differences overall but still there if you listen closely, although this may be the more revealing nature of this dap). But I’m not digging the vocal tonality still.

I know myself that I prefer a slightly warm tilt (although not anything too dark) but I find this cayin dap to be slightly too neutral for me.

I’m not getting that lush vivid presentation of vocals I was looking for when I heard the high praise these got in the midrange presentation.
Sounds like you would prefer the Aune M1s. It's warmer but not crazy FiiO X5iii warmth levels.

@Slater91 comparisons please!!! :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #1,555 of 4,108
I don't think that supports spotify sadly.
Leave it to brain burn in then. You'll get used to the sound.

Otherwise, maybe get new gear that has better synergy with the N5ii.

Actually, what do you mean by grainy, is it like a very textured vocal feel? Like when there is a ssss sound it has a very sharp tone?

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,556 of 4,108
Leave it to brain burn in then. You'll get used to the sound.

Otherwise, maybe get new gear that has better synergy with the N5ii.

Actually, what do you mean by grainy, is it like a very textured vocal feel? Like when there is a ssss sound it has a very sharp tone?
No it’s definitely not sharp or sibilant more like rougher in the low mids and male vocals.

I’m also used to more forward vocal presentations maybe that’s playing with my brain also. These are somewhat relaxed in the lower mids in that regard.

Also seeing as I paid £299 for it I think I’d prefer to get my exact signature rather than having to buy new gear which is very expensive. I may just return it but I’ll give it a few says first to see if my opinion changes.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,557 of 4,108
No it’s definitely not sharp or sibilant more like rougher in the low mids and male vocals.

I’m also used to more forward vocal presentations maybe that’s playing with my brain also. These are somewhat relaxed in the lower mids in that regard.

Also seeing as I paid £299 for it I think I’d prefer to get my exact signature rather than having to buy new gear which is very expensive. I may just return it but I’ll give it a few says first to see if my opinion changes.
I'll try out some rock songs and see if I hear anything.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,558 of 4,108
I'll try out some rock songs and see if I hear anything.

I was listening to Pink Floyd- Dogs as a reference. I actually preferred the tonality and vocal presentation of my 6s on the condition that I eqed down the mid bass by 1db to remove ‘bloat’ which was in the default 6s signature.

When listening to the vocals I felt unengaged and slightly disappointed by how the n5ii portrayed male vocals. Maybe I’m too picky, maybe the cayin in more neutral and true to realism. But I wasn’t finding it very musical despite enjoying ‘natural’ sound signatures.

Bass is beautiful on this unit though, authoritative and textured with a nice fullness and linear presentation.

Treble is about equal to my 6s being perfectly natural and extended without any harshness or peaks.

I never really gave my 6s enough respect until now, it’s a much better unit than I assumed if this Cayin dap is considered one of the best midrange DAP’s.

Oh and I use earbuds (non iem type) and not headphones I wonder if this has an effect on anything. They are all dynamic drivers and between 16-32 ohm. They aren’t crappy $5 earbuds though. Most between $80-160 and revealing enough to hear small nuances and differences between the sources I feel.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,560 of 4,108
I was listening to Pink Floyd- Dogs as a reference. I actually preferred the tonality and vocal presentation of my 6s on the condition that I eqed down the mid bass by 1db to remove ‘bloat’ which was in the default 6s signature.

When listening to the vocals I felt unengaged and slightly disappointed by how the n5ii portrayed male vocals. Maybe I’m too picky, maybe the cayin in more neutral and true to realism. But I wasn’t finding it very musical despite enjoying ‘natural’ sound signatures.

Bass is beautiful on this unit though, authoritative and textured with a nice fullness and linear presentation.

Treble is about equal to my 6s being perfectly natural and extended without any harshness or peaks.

I never really gave my 6s enough respect until now, it’s a much better unit than I assumed if this Cayin dap is considered one of the best midrange DAP’s.

Oh and I use earbuds (non iem type) and not headphones I wonder if this has an effect on anything. They are all dynamic drivers and between 16-32 ohm. They aren’t crappy $5 earbuds though. Most between $80-160 and revealing enough to hear small nuances and differences between the sources I feel.
I don't really like earbuds because they leak sound both in and out. They also have inferior detail compared to in ears. I have tried out the VE Asura 2.0 before and though it gave me an improved opinion of earbuds It wasn't my cup of tea.

Personally I like to go for very technical iems with excellent clarity and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back