Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Dec 19, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,156 of 2,546
Cheers Swannie enjoying Christmas on the beach must be a nice option! Unlike over here :sunglasses:

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,157 of 2,546
Pleasure capn. Unfortunately don't live near the beach, about two hours to nearest beach. Live on a plateau about 3000ft above sea level so have nice moderate weather here in this corner of Queensland about one and a half hours drive NW of Brisbane. We have Christmas in summer! Short sleeved shirts and shorts. Cheers.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,158 of 2,546
The beach is a 10 min walk for me, but it's bloody miserable down there in December! Cheers again buddy, have a good 'un!

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,160 of 2,546
Thanks Andy, I've just finished work for Christmas, so if the family allows me a bit of free time - that's not at too obscene an hour, I just might get the 200 hrs landmark done soon! :sunglasses: :notes: :guitar:
I'd just like to say Merry Christmas to all fellow head-fi'ers out there. :)

Take your time, and family first, especially on this very special period when family members are gathering together.

Wish you a Merry Christmas too. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,162 of 2,546
Hi everyone.

Have any of the reviewers compared the N5 with the AK100mkii ? Im wondering whether to treat myself as its Christmas but want a significant upgrade to justify the cost.

Thanks

In my review I compared the N5 with the AK120II. You can find the review in my profile.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,163 of 2,546
Hi everyone.

Have any of the reviewers compared the N5 with the AK100mkii ? Im wondering whether to treat myself as its Christmas but want a significant upgrade to justify the cost.

Thanks

What earphone will be used (or plan to use) with the DAP? Some IEMs are more demanding in driving power (e.g., dynamics such as IE800 or AKT8i) while some others are highly sensitive (e.g., Shure 845, Westone W4R), so it might be difficult to comment without referring to the earphones involved.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,165 of 2,546
Thanks Pinky, ill have a read.

Andy ill be using Oppo PM3s and possibly the new maiden headphones but haven't bought these yet.

While PM3 is labelled as a portable headphone, it is still a Planar by nature and will be benefited by the hefty driving capability of N5, and the extra current available from the 2.5 headphone out will certainly make N5 a worth upgrade candidate. Give it a try if you could, I am sure you'll better appreciate your PM3 with that. :) :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,166 of 2,546
Thanks Andy, think something was lost in translation.  I already have the N5 and its fantastic, especially like you said using the balanced out to the PM3 sounds great so much so that is now my preferred way of listening instead of using the C5 amp as well.  Talk about a size and weight gain of not having that along for the ride.  Also just bought a new silver balanced cable especially for this.

I am now getting new toy syndrome and need something new and wondered if the AK was a significant upgrade on the N5 but having had chance to demo one im not so sure it is, only had half an hour with it but the silly volume wheel on the side and the touch screen really put me off and maybe that amount of time isn't enough to judge the sound I couldn't really tell the difference. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,168 of 2,546
Yes. It's just microUSB3.

But you can use microUSB2, should work just fine.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,169 of 2,546
Thanks Andy, think something was lost in translation.  I already have the N5 and its fantastic, especially like you said using the balanced out to the PM3 sounds great so much so that is now my preferred way of listening instead of using the C5 amp as well.  Talk about a size and weight gain of not having that along for the ride.  Also just bought a new silver balanced cable especially for this.

I am now getting new toy syndrome and need something new and wondered if the AK was a significant upgrade on the N5 but having had chance to demo one im not so sure it is, only had half an hour with it but the silly volume wheel on the side and the touch screen really put me off and maybe that amount of time isn't enough to judge the sound I couldn't really tell the difference. 

Another question, is the cable just a normal usb 3?  Someone has stolen my charging cable from my desk in work and need to replace.

Sorry for misunderstood the question.

I think your demo experience has said it all, you probably find it hard to believe because you are expecting more based on the price tag.

By the way, have you tried N6 before? N6 is bigger, warmer, and only run on 3.5mm. IF better sound is the ultimate goal of your DAP upgrade, then you should give N6 a try.

The cable is a standard USB3.0 cable, and you can use USB2.0 to charge up your N5, but please take a look at the following post as not all micro USB2.0 cable will work:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-product-info-discussion-and-tour-link/1050#post_12095510

Users who are viewing this thread

Back