Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #496 of 646
I love the N3U. Luckily, I always listen to a full album at once, so for me the interface is good enough. Sound wise, it beats my old fav, which is the AK SP2000T. It plays nice with all the IEMs I've tried so far and with some of the headphones. I haven't had time to try all of them, but so far I'm very happy with it. The PEQ is a really nice addition.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #497 of 646
I would agree the software seems rushed and not polished, It will be interesting to see how Cayin deals with this as I am new to the brand.

Not sure if I would call sw being rushed as in "buggy". N3U is their entry-level basic non-Android (as in not running an open Android) DAP focused on sound tuning rather than other bells and whistles. Since it is an upgrade to their previous N3Pro, everything from sw to hw seems to be upgraded here. Hiby always writes sw/fw for them. If there are additional features to add, that will have to be addressed by Cayin with Hiby. In Cayin's other "regular" Android DAPs you have a choice to download different playback apps if you want additional features which HibyMusic doesn't offer, but it is different here.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #498 of 646
I always shuffle playlists so not an issue for me either. As far as the OS goes it's just about perfect for my use snappy and actual gapless which is something shanling have never managed implementing. Coming from the N3pro it's exactly what I was expecting

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #500 of 646
I also like my N3 Ultra. However, I still prefer the sound of R2R DAPs. Something that I noticed is that N3U needs some time to sound good which normal because the tubes have to heat. I was worried about bout the performance but at the end it is pretty fast. Yes the interface is simple but I don’t care as long as I can play my music easily. Some complain about bout rearranging songs in a playlist, but for me it is not something I usually do, so definitely not a showstopper for me
The Sound is Superb even way above its price point, I do own an R2R Cayin DAP the N6ii-RO1 and the JAN tubes in N3ultra does things with the Sound that the N6ii-RO1 couldn't touch!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #501 of 646
Has anyone had a chance to compare this to a Cowan Plenue MKII or a TempoTec V6? On the fence (almost over the fence) and will continue to ponder purchasing while on vacation next week. Thanks

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #502 of 646
Has anyone had a chance to compare this to a Cowan Plenue MKII or a TempoTec V6? On the fence (almost over the fence) and will continue to ponder purchasing while on vacation next week. Thanks
I have the tempotec V6, Hiby R6pro2 and Cayin N7, I AB this yesterday for half an hour at a shop with my R6pro2, and I remember the v6 signature pretty well, I would say the N3U sounded better than the v6, its slightly fuller and less compressed, tube mode with classic had more analog feel with more treble roll off, modern mode had more detail , mind you the shop unit may not have enough burnt in hours and it sounded a little bright in the treble for me, but compared to the hiby r6pro2 I honestly felt that it couldn't quite match it so I guess you get what you pay for. Despite the fact that I have all 3 DAPs and they are in different categories, the V6 is still very good especially for its price. It has a very smooth and musically pleasant signature to it and I love it for what it is, it is also android where you can stream tidal/spotify and install apps like neutron to make it sound even better unlike the N3U, but the N3U built quality is much better but larger, better screen and volume knob than the v6 which is real pocketable, V6 has true line out like N3U, soundwise N3u is more mature and tube mode is tiny bit of tubiness, you won't get real tubes sound like you'd get from a 300b tube amp but it does have a slight warmth to my ear... my 2cents and pure 'subjective' opinion that hopefully can help your purchasing decision process.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #503 of 646
I have the tempotec V6, Hiby R6pro2 and Cayin N7, I AB this yesterday for half an hour at a shop with my R6pro2, and I remember the v6 signature pretty well, I would say the N3U sounded better than the v6, its slightly fuller and less compressed, tube mode with classic had more analog feel with more treble roll off, modern mode had more detail , mind you the shop unit may not have enough burnt in hours and it sounded a little bright in the treble for me, but compared to the hiby r6pro2 I honestly felt that it couldn't quite match it so I guess you get what you pay for. Despite the fact that I have all 3 DAPs and they are in different categories, the V6 is still very good especially for its price. It has a very smooth and musically pleasant signature to it and I love it for what it is, it is also android where you can stream tidal/spotify and install apps like neutron to make it sound even better unlike the N3U, but the N3U built quality is much better but larger, better screen and volume knob than the v6 which is real pocketable, V6 has true line out like N3U, soundwise N3u is more mature and tube mode is tiny bit of tubiness, you won't get real tubes sound like you'd get from a 300b tube amp but it does have a slight warmth to my ear... my 2cents and pure 'subjective' opinion that hopefully can help your purchasing decision process.
"little bright in the treble" = harsh fatiguing highs just like this dongle with the same chip set :
https://penonaudio.com/acmee-magic-sound-4.html

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #504 of 646
Anyone worried about this player bieng too thick, too lush or warm as I was.

Rest assured the N3 Ultra goes from Super clean analytical with expansive sound stage and a nice musical tight bottom end and clean , crisp highs on Solid state mode, to 2 slightly warmer modes with the Modern and Classic Tube options.

Yes there is 3 distinct timbres.

This is a very resolving DAP with impressive stage and dynamics.

For vocals this is my new favorite.

In the pic shows my various DAP'S I was comparing to get a sense of the N3's tonality. AKM4493 x 2

Shanling M8 - Warm Lush , Laid back great stage AKM4499EQ x 2

Astell & Kern Kann Max - Transparent, Clean , Resolving thicker mids than N3U
Narrower stage and thicker bass. ESS9038Q2M x 4

HIBY R4 - Analog , laid back rounded with a bright top end. ESS9018CM2 X 4

iBasso DX90 ,- squeaky clean neutral , resolving ESS9018KM2 x2

Geshelli Labs JNOG J2 AKM4493
My favorite desktop DAC with sparkos SS2590 - sounds very much like the N3 Ultra on Modern tube mode.

This is a impressive player.

I was using the Penon10th , Sound Rhyme DTE900, DITA Audio Project M, HIBY Project Ace, Plunge Audio Prototype as my listening transducers of choice.
20240419_090327.jpg
How does the n3 ultra compare to your m6 ultra or dx170 ?

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #505 of 646
How does the n3 ultra compare to your m6 ultra or dx170 ?
20240420_131555.jpg

I like it better than the dx170. To begin with, it is a lot more responsive. This is my main problem with the dx170, its sluggishness. I actually prefer not having the full android experience. Yes, I can install apps on the dx170, but what's the point (apart from streaming, that is)?

N3U has more nuanced bass, better soundstage and it sounds more detailed to me. The highs are delicate sounding, very detailed, but not bothersome. I listen to a lot of metal and I like to hear the cymbals clear and loud, which the N3U does effortlessly. I find the timbre really good on the N3U. This is what impressed me from the first moment. Listening to more vocal-centric music is a joy. Overall, I would call it a warm-ish player, but in a very pleasant way.
IBtw, I do not find the treble harsh at all. On the contrary. We all hear different things :)

Of course, the dx170 is 20% cheaper and has streaming apps. In terms of sound, N3U is hands down better. In terms of practicality, there is no comparison, dx170 has the edge.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #506 of 646
Thanks for the reply. The V6 is good for it's price

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #507 of 646
I have Plenue L as my daily driver and owned V6 but sold it quickly. Skip the V6 if you can get N3U. I may sound a bit harsh, but I was not too fond of the sharp and slightly digital feeling of the V6.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #508 of 646
Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #509 of 646
Is there a way to configure the button below the screen to wake-up the screen instead of pushing the power button?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back