Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #466 of 645
I find the N3U really great, with or without cover art, it's one of those rare players that works well with all my IEMs and all music styles. It's got this organic sound that makes me feel I'm part of the music, not just a spectator.
If I mention my minor quibbles with it, is only with the hope to see a great product further improved, not to diminish its merit.

The complete album art display priority are as follows:
  1. Embedded album Art (jpg, png, bmp)

Well, that is exactly the problem, the embedded album art did not work on the album view, but it was displayed when playing the songs. If this could be fixed in the future, fine. If not, also fine, I have a workaround.

What I did was to copy the same music files I have on each of my players to a brand new card and popped it into the N3U. Some covers were displayed, some not. This was new to me, but with a bit of inspiration from others and with MP3tag I managed to fix this, by automatically generating a folder file from the embedded art.

If the possibility exist to fix this issue with future software updates, it would only improve the life with N3U.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #467 of 645
Once you enter the list of all music files, click on the play button beside the "Shuffle all" label
The problem I've had is that the Shuffle All button is too close the Back button. I've accidentally hit shuffle several times. Could it possibly be moved in a future fw update??

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #468 of 645
Does it have track replaygain ?

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #469 of 645
Is anyone experiencing sudden lag on PCM playback?
It appears randomly but it will have increased along with the playback time since its last boot.
It only happens when playing PCM at all rates and even for MQA but NOT FOR DSD at any rate. So I don’t think it is a problem of reading speed or MicroSD compatibility.
I have tried to unoptimized the battery usage of the Player app, forced HW acceleration on graphic and even reset it once.
But all efforts were in vain that it just happens again and again.
It is not even about the movement of the player because it happens even when I put it very still on a plain surface.
The MicroSD is Sandisk Ultra 1.5TB.

EDIT: At the moment it happened, the device was nowhere close to any interfering device. (Not considering the router which was at least 3 meters away) The device is interfered only when my iPhone 15 Pro Max is put on top of it.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #470 of 645
The N3Ultra should be free from RF interference unless they are very close to the devices, we don't experience any RF interference from routers that are 1 meter away. If you are in doubt, please wait for the user or reviewer reports, I am sure they will provide more information along this line.

We have created a UI screen to cater to the shuffle ALL option:

Select the ALL option (Top right) on the main N3Ultra desktop.

Screenshot_19700204-141740.png

Once you enter the list of all music files, click on the play button beside the "Shuffle all" label

Screenshot_19700204-141823.png
I have not experienced Any interference and I have used this player on my evening walking exercise most days since I received it. I am amazed at the quality of the Sound and its ability to drive loads that are a bit difficult.
I use this player currently with my Hifiman HE1000SE, Hifiman Edition XS and even the Caldera Open, but the easiest for it was the HE1000SE, the Soundsatage is expansive and detailed, the bass is deep, rich and impactful and the highs are beautifully extended the mid range is Compellingly beautiful, I am talking about the classic tube mode, I don't care about the other modes, they don't come close to the tube classic. #Andykong I would really love to hear this Jan tube in the Amazing N30LE
There is a certain difference in the sound of the thermionic electron emission based tube as in the N3ultra compared to LED based nutube. The Jan tube has a certain classic tube beautiful alure that nutube doesn't have
Don't get me wrong the N30LE is a beast and I cherish mine.
So it would be nice to hear the Jan tube in an upscale design as in the N30LE.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #471 of 645
Does it have track replaygain ?
Can be by album or by track.
It has all the basic function a player should possess except for connectivity part and also PCM upsampling and force DSD output.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #473 of 645
A question if you use the line out to add a dedicated amp on either the N3pro and N3Ultra does the tube function play through the amp?

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #475 of 645
A question if you use the line out to add a dedicated amp on either the N3pro and N3Ultra does the tube function play through the amp?
It works with N3 Ultra for sure. Sounds superb with the Mass Kobo 475 👌

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #476 of 645
Landed green case was a good call.
20240418_152745.jpg
20240418_152734.jpg
20240418_150339.jpg
20240418_150326.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #478 of 645
I can't find any search ability please don't tell me this software doesn't have this basic function?

If you want to favorite a song you either need to pull down the top menus down twice or hit the top menus 3 buttons and add it to favorite playlist.

Missing some very basic functions out of the box .

@Andykong Is there any plans to add a search function Q and the Favorites ❤️ icon to quick bookmark like on the full HIBY app?

That would be on my wish list and as others mentioned bring the top banner down with a bigger font 🙏

One more suggestion would be to incorporate into the night light mode For it to not only patina the display as it does , but also reduce the circle light down 80% or even better be able to choose the % -10%, -20%, - 80% ect

20240419_090554.jpg

Attachments

• 20240419_091620.jpg
    20240419_091620.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #480 of 645
You can use PEQ with USB DAC mode. However, you need to set up the PEQ and enable the filters BEFORE connecting the N3Ultra to its USB Audio source. Once connected, the N3Ultra will continue to operate AS-IS, therefore enabled PEQ will remain in the playback loop.
That's good to know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back