Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #481 of 645
Everything is good.
BUT it appears that it has a poor compatibility with high capacity memory cards.
Using my 2TB AGI Supreme Pro and 1.5TB SanDisk Ultra will cause audio frames drop on my N3U and also the demo unit at the retail store.
The weirdest thing is that it happens only when playing FLAC, even in 16bit 44.1kHz, but not DSF, not even up to DSD256.
This is highly troublesome because it doesn’t have WiFi connectivity and I can’t stream my files from NAS.
I know that the MicroSDXC it supports officially is 1TB, but I hope that it can be solved.
For the time being my only option is to significantly reduce my database by one third to use back my 1TB SanDisk Extreme Pro.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #482 of 645
i just got my N3Ultra.
Is there already a screen protector/tempered glass applied to the front screen?
or we need to apply it with the included tempered glass screen protector ourselves?

also is the current firmware(1.00) the latest or there is an update we need to perform to get it to the latest firmware?

so excited for the device. :)

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #483 of 645
i just got my N3Ultra.
Is there already a screen protector/tempered glass applied to the front screen?
or we need to apply it with the included tempered glass screen protector ourselves?

also is the current firmware(1.00) the latest or there is an update we need to perform to get it to the latest firmware?

so excited for the device. :)
There is a matte plastic protector attached underneath the black one but very loose. I use the glass one instead

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #484 of 645
Everything is good.
BUT it appears that it has a poor compatibility with high capacity memory cards.
Using my 2TB AGI Supreme Pro and 1.5TB SanDisk Ultra will cause audio frames drop on my N3U and also the demo unit at the retail store.
The weirdest thing is that it happens only when playing FLAC, even in 16bit 44.1kHz, but not DSF, not even up to DSD256.
This is highly troublesome because it doesn’t have WiFi connectivity and I can’t stream my files from NAS.
I know that the MicroSDXC it supports officially is 1TB, but I hope that it can be solved.
For the time being my only option is to significantly reduce my database by one third to use back my 1TB SanDisk Extreme Pro.
I got the same problem while playing sometimes.
I use 512GB card. Don't know what the root cause is? Hardware or Software.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #485 of 645
Everything is good.
I use SanDisk 1.5 TB, it works properly.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #486 of 645
Just wanted to mention, after running multiple battery tests, in Classic Tube mode, medium gain, from 4.4mm BAL output, I'm getting a consistent 7hr 45min of playback time which I consider to be pretty good for the worst-case use scenario.

1713533967056.png

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #487 of 645
Anyone worried about this player bieng too thick, too lush or warm as I was.

Rest assured the N3 Ultra goes from Super clean analytical with expansive sound stage and a nice musical tight bottom end and clean , crisp highs on Solid state mode, to 2 slightly warmer modes with the Modern and Classic Tube options.

Yes there is 3 distinct timbres.

This is a very resolving DAP with impressive stage and dynamics.

For vocals this is my new favorite.

In the pic shows my various DAP'S I was comparing to get a sense of the N3's tonality. AKM4493 x 2

Shanling M8 - Warm Lush , Laid back great stage AKM4499EQ x 2

Astell & Kern Kann Max - Transparent, Clean , Resolving thicker mids than N3U
Narrower stage and thicker bass. ESS9038Q2M x 4

HIBY R4 - Analog , laid back rounded with a bright top end. ESS9018CM2 X 4

iBasso DX90 ,- squeaky clean neutral , resolving ESS9018KM2 x2

Geshelli Labs JNOG J2 AKM4493
My favorite desktop DAC with sparkos SS2590 - sounds very much like the N3 Ultra on Modern tube mode.

This is a impressive player.

I was using the Penon10th , Sound Rhyme DTE900, DITA Audio Project M, HIBY Project Ace, Plunge Audio Prototype as my listening transducers of choice.
20240419_090327.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #488 of 645
Anyone worried about this player bieng too thick, too lush or warm as I was.

Rest assured the N3 Ultra goes from Super clean analytical with expansive sound stage and a nice musical tight bottom end and clean , crisp highs on Solid state mode, to 2 slightly warmer modes with the Modern and Classic Tube options.

Yes there is 3 distinct timbres.

This is a very resolving DAP with impressive stage and dynamics.

For vocals this is my new favorite.

In the pic shows my various DAP'S I was comparing to get a sense of the N3's tonality. AKM4493 x 2

Shanling M8 - Warm Lush , Laid back great stage AKM4499EQ x 2

Astell & Kern Kann Max - Transparent, Clean , Resolving thicker mids than N3U
Narrower stage and thicker bass. ESS9038Q2M x 4

HIBY R4 - Analog , laid back rounded with a bright top end. ESS9018CM2 X 4

iBasso DX90 ,- squeaky clean neutral , resolving ESS9018KM2 x2

Geshelli Labs JNOG J2 AKM4493
My favorite desktop DAC with sparkos SS2590 - sounds very much like the N3 Ultra on Modern tube mode.

This is a impressive player.

I was using the Penon10th , Sound Rhyme DTE900, DITA Audio Project M, HIBY Project Ace, Plunge Audio Prototype as my listening transducers of choice.
20240419_090327.jpg
I'm absolutely loving my N3Ultra I haven't touched my Cayin N7 since it arrived also pretty decent battery life.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #489 of 645
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #490 of 645
I'm loving my N3Ultra as well, although I still pull out my N7 daily.
@ToneDeafMonk, is your R4 a review unit or is it for sale someplace? I think that is quite a disruptive DAP and is a hell of a deal at $249.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #491 of 645
I'm loving my N3Ultra as well, although I still pull out my N7 daily.
@ToneDeafMonk, is your R4 a review unit or is it for sale someplace? I think that is quite a disruptive DAP and is a hell of a deal at $249.
It's a tour unit on loan from HIBY pretty good entry level DAP for newbies.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #492 of 645
... wow... it's hard to believe you guys prefer this over the N7 (which I have and love) ... tried it at the shop the other day and whilst it's pretty good for its price, the biggest drawback for me with the N3u is not so much the player or sound quality but the interface where I can see it's still using the Hiby player app that whilst it allows you to create a custom playlist, it doesn't let you 'rearrange' the songs within that playlist which to me is a big decision breaker and I cannot understand why they don't rewrite the app for it even though I asked Hiby about it...

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #493 of 645
... wow... it's hard to believe you guys prefer this over the N7 (which I have and love) ... tried it at the shop the other day and whilst it's pretty good for its price, the biggest drawback for me with the N3u is not so much the player or sound quality but the interface where I can see it's still using the Hiby player app that whilst it allows you to create a custom playlist, it doesn't let you 'rearrange' the songs within that playlist which to me is a big decision breaker and I cannot understand why they don't rewrite the app for it even though I asked Hiby about it...
I would agree the software seems rushed and not polished, It will be interesting to see how Cayin deals with this as I am new to the brand.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #495 of 645
I also like my N3 Ultra. However, I still prefer the sound of R2R DAPs. Something that I noticed is that N3U needs some time to sound good which normal because the tubes have to heat. I was worried about bout the performance but at the end it is pretty fast. Yes the interface is simple but I don’t care as long as I can play my music easily. Some complain about bout rearranging songs in a playlist, but for me it is not something I usually do, so definitely not a showstopper for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back