Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #512 of 652
... wow... it's hard to believe you guys prefer this over the N7 (which I have and love) ... tried it at the shop the other day and whilst it's pretty good for its price, the biggest drawback for me with the N3u is not so much the player or sound quality but the interface where I can see it's still using the Hiby player app that whilst it allows you to create a custom playlist, it doesn't let you 'rearrange' the songs within that playlist which to me is a big decision breaker and I cannot understand why they don't rewrite the app for it even though I asked Hiby about it...
Not necessarily prefer just enjoy as much.
New toy honeymoon and all it's a different sound and a very enjoyable sound from the N3Ultra. Not about to get rid of the N7

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #513 of 652
@Andykong
A few more bug fixes for you
Someone previously mentioned the Ring light ON/OFF resets to ON after reboot as does:
1) The channel Balance resets to O
2) You can't seem to save the PEQ preset name as it wants ypu to log into your HIBY account and that's not possible without WiFi connectivity.
Secondly in order to hit save the keyboard hids the save / cancel function until you hit the volume button.

Attachments

• 20240420_182152.jpg
    20240420_182152.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240420_181204.jpg
    20240420_181204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240420_181121.jpg
    20240420_181121.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #514 of 652
OMG what a combo N3U 4.4 Bal out to XDUOO XD05 Pro and DITA Audio Project M
20240420_203942.jpg
20240420_214116.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #515 of 652
@Andykong
A few more bug fixes for you
Someone previously mentioned the Ring light ON/OFF resets to ON after reboot as does:
1) The channel Balance resets to O
2) You can't seem to save the PEQ preset name as it wants ypu to log into your HIBY account and that's not possible without WiFi connectivity.
Secondly in order to hit save the keyboard hids the save / cancel function until you hit the volume button.
I got the same bug (the 2nd one). I added one custom preset in the regular EQ, and then you could save under the PEQ; at least the workaround worked for me.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #516 of 652
20240420_131555.jpg
I like it better than the dx170. To begin with, it is a lot more responsive. This is my main problem with the dx170, its sluggishness. I actually prefer not having the full android experience. Yes, I can install apps on the dx170, but what's the point (apart from streaming, that is)?

N3U has more nuanced bass, better soundstage and it sounds more detailed to me. The highs are delicate sounding, very detailed, but not bothersome. I listen to a lot of metal and I like to hear the cymbals clear and loud, which the N3U does effortlessly. I find the timbre really good on the N3U. This is what impressed me from the first moment. Listening to more vocal-centric music is a joy. Overall, I would call it a warm-ish player, but in a very pleasant way.
IBtw, I do not find the treble harsh at all. On the contrary. We all hear different things :)

Of course, the dx170 is 20% cheaper and has streaming apps. In terms of sound, N3U is hands down better. In terms of practicality, there is no comparison, dx170 has the edge.
Sounds good, I liked the DX160 (2020) better than my N3 Pro so I can't wait to hear the N3 Ultra!

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #518 of 652
Just wonder anyone faces problem connect to N3U from iPhone via USB c to c ? It couldn't detect iPhone even I tried few different cables.
Had this with the iPad, yes.

Easy fix: Connect it, then with both ends of the cable still connected to your phone and the N3U, restart the N3U and it will start directly in the USB DAC mode. If you unplug it, you'll have to restart again to make it work.

Mine has some hiccups when playing in USB DAC mode, like falling behind and then speeding to catch up. All of this happening very quickly, under a second. Like a skipped beat or something. Maybe it's just my cable, I'm yet to try with other cables. No probs when playing from the computer.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #519 of 652
Had this with the iPad, yes.

Easy fix: Connect it, then with both ends of the cable still connected to your phone and the N3U, restart the N3U and it will start directly in the USB DAC mode. If you unplug it, you'll have to restart again to make it work.

Mine has some hiccups when playing in USB DAC mode, like falling behind and then speeding to catch up. All of this happening very quickly, under a second. Like a skipped beat or something. Maybe it's just my cable, I'm yet to try with other cables. No probs when playing from the computer.
Thank you. It helps!

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #520 of 652
Wasn't too bad when I tested it. But I prefer to answer this question when I have the final production unit (for review, coming soon) with the final fw in my hands, not the final pre-production unit used at the show for the demo.
I’d like to say thanks for your in depth ru7 review, I had been interested in it since before it launched but was hesitant once it came out and your review convinced me to get it and it’s the best sounding dac I own and I love it, so thank you very much for that ! I’m also interested in the n3 ultra and again I’m a bit hesitant, but from your comment above I understand you might be working on a review already and if that’s the case when might it be published ? Thanks

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #521 of 652

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #523 of 652
I got the same problem while playing sometimes.
I use 512GB card. Don't know what the root cause is? Hardware or Software.
I have re-copied all files into the 1.5TB MicroSD, which I have reformatted to NTFS, after knowing that it supports NTFS.
The problem seems to be solved as I didn’t face it again anymore.
However, ultimately it has show that the N3U has poor exFAT implementation.
The exFAT formats with different page sizes I have tried were from my MacBook Pro 16 2021 and WM1Z, which the latter one also has poor compatibility, making it unstable while playing songs from improperly formatted card, or even unable to read at all.
The major problem is that I mainly use my MacBook instead of my laptop PC so it will be less convenient.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #524 of 652
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #525 of 652
The N3U was featured in my latest video because it was simply the best pairing with the DITA Audio Project M love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back