Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jan 17, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,312 of 2,518
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2,315 of 2,518
After trying out a bunch of different IEMs with this DAP, I've found I get the best results with the FD5 in triode mode. That mode is the most tubey, but it has drawbacks. With something v-shaped like the FD5, some of those drawbacks become assets, and the stage doesn't change much, offering a nice balance between scale and intimacy. Still a bit v-shaped, maybe too much for some. But to me it's less intense, with the mids getting more body compared to my solid-state devices. It's nice to be able to use a v-shaped IEM without EQ.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,316 of 2,518
Big N3 Pro fan here, unfortunately my unit is for want of a better word... De-cayin.

It has never been roughly handled, one day the screen just started separating by itself at the bottom and is now getting worse, extending up all around.

Is this a common issue?

It is not water damage or anything like that - one day the unit was fine and then next day it wasn't.

An update on this screen separation problem...

Not had any reply from Cayin customer services.

It is not the battery failing and expanding, pushing the screen up. It is separation, a gap, between the bonded plastic over the LCD panel.

The battery is 100% performing as it was from brand new a year ago.

Any chance of a replacement AndyKong?

It's a great sounding unit but this kind of defect isn't pretty.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #2,317 of 2,518

It is not the battery failing and expanding, pushing the screen up. It is separation, a gap, between the bonded plastic over the LCD panel.

The employees at Cayin have just started their Chinese New Year Holiday break - and @Andykong made a post about it on the RU6 thread -
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113/post-16785547

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #2,318 of 2,518
@Andykong Could you please tell me if the problems (reported from some users) with the volume control knob of the N3-Pro were already solved in the latest batch ? Thanks.
I'd like to know this as well. I have a wonky knob, bought it second hand so no warranty.

I am not sure if I understand Audiophile PT's question correctly. I assume you are referring to the wonky know that Willdo7474 mentioned. In that case, we didn't change our design or manufacturing process. They are the same as the first day we introduce the DAP.

The volume knob of N3Pro is a multifunction control, it covers power On/Off, screen wake up/dark out, and volume control at the same time. To enable all these, the control knob need to rotate and push in (or described as click by some reviewer) on different occasions, that means we need to left a 3mm to 4mm gap behind the knob so that it can be push in, and that is where the wonky feeling come from when you rotate the knob.

In addition, this design will introduce small "gap" when you start turning the volume knob, making it not responsive enough if the user want to micro-control the volume slowly (and precisely) for 1 dB ony. In our design, if you want to control the volume per dB precisely, we suggest you use the + and - control in the volume control screen. N6ii will bring up the Volume Control screen immediately when you turn the Volume control konb.

We have recieve around a dozen of repair cases that involve the volume knob in the history of N3Pro, the two major casues are tear and wear and physical damage caused by drop/impact or presurrized by heavy object in backpack. So far the repair rate of volume knob is acceptable when compare to our other DAP product. For the record, N6ii shard similar volume knob design, while the volume knob of N6ii might look smaller, the chassis and the volume guide are stronger. It offers more protection in drop/impact test and the related repair rate are slightly lower when compare to N3Pro.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #2,319 of 2,518

@DBaldock9 Thank you for helping out.

The unit is repairable, you need to send the N3Pro to our factory for repair. Please contact the dealer who sell you the N3Pro, they should be able to help you out during our Chinese New Year vacation. By the way, where did you buy the N3Pro from? If you were to buy it from AMP3 or Phil from UK, they should be able to help you out on this. We didn't change our dealership in UK in past few years, so this is a better sitaution then some other countries.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #2,320 of 2,518
All members in Cayin will start our Chinese New Year holiday today. During the holiday, all orders, inquires and after sales service will be processed immediately when we resume office on 10th February. 2022.

Thanks for all the support and we wish everyone to stay safe, healthy, and to have a wonderful Year of Tiger.

2022 Chines New Year.jpg

PS. Unlike previous years, I'll will take a break during the Chinese New Year vacation. I'll only check on forum occasionally. Please pardon me if I didn't resposne to your exchanges or PM promptly.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #2,321 of 2,518
I am not sure if I understand Audiophile PT's question correctly. I assume you are referring to the wonky know that Willdo7474 mentioned. In that case, we didn't change our design or manufacturing process. They are the same as the first day we introduce the DAP.

The volume knob of N3Pro is a multifunction control, it covers power On/Off, screen wake up/dark out, and volume control at the same time. To enable all these, the control knob need to rotate and push in (or described as click by some reviewer) on different occasions, that means we need to left a 3mm to 4mm gap behind the knob so that it can be push in, and that is where the wonky feeling come from when you rotate the knob.

In addition, this design will introduce small "gap" when you start turning the volume knob, making it not responsive enough if the user want to micro-control the volume slowly (and precisely) for 1 dB ony. In our design, if you want to control the volume per dB precisely, we suggest you use the + and - control in the volume control screen. N6ii will bring up the Volume Control screen immediately when you turn the Volume control konb.

We have recieve around a dozen of repair cases that involve the volume knob in the history of N3Pro, the two major casues are tear and wear and physical damage caused by drop/impact or presurrized by heavy object in backpack. So far the repair rate of volume knob is acceptable when compare to our other DAP product. For the record, N6ii shard similar volume knob design, while the volume knob of N6ii might look smaller, the chassis and the volume guide are stronger. It offers more protection in drop/impact test and the related repair rate are slightly lower when compare to N3Pro.
@Andykong Thank you for the info and explanation.
From what I've read I thought there was a problem with the knob after a prolonged usage.
I just wanted to have some reassurance before buying it.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #2,322 of 2,518
@Andykong Thank you for the info and explanation.
From what I've read I thought there was a problem with the knob after a prolonged usage.
I just wanted to have some reassurance before buying it.

I am surprised that you are intersted in N3Pro. I didn't know you are into IEM as well.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,324 of 2,518
If you are looking for a portable tube option and can live with a purist DAP that doesn't support streaming feature, Ria Penta and N3Pro works out pretty well as a pair in single-ended. They are very musical and offer excellent PRaT (especially with Ultralinear mode) but they are not superior in technicality. Given your strong preference with Meze house sound, I don't think you are after technicality to start with, so this can be one of the options.

The N3Pro is dated and we didn't have any plan for new production batch already. Based on my understanding of your preference, for a warmish sound signature and a more dynamic and authoratative presentation, the QP2r is another options that you can consider. The Cayin RU6 dongle DAC will offer a natural and smooth sound for less, another good option but without the tube magic.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,325 of 2,518
If you are looking for a portable tube option and can live with a purist DAP that doesn't support streaming feature, Ria Penta and N3Pro works out pretty well as a pair in single-ended. They are very musical and offer excellent PRaT (especially with Ultralinear mode) but they are not superior in technicality. Given your strong preference with Meze house sound, I don't think you are after technicality to start with, so this can be one of the options.

The N3Pro is dated and we didn't have any plan for new production batch already. Based on my understanding of your preference, for a warmish sound signature and a more dynamic and authoratative presentation, the QP2r is another options that you can consider. The Cayin RU6 dongle DAC will offer a natural and smooth sound for less, another good option but without the tube magic.
I started investigating a bit more about the N3Pro and I realized that the tube option is not available on the balanced output.
Considering that most of my best cables are balanced I've just abandoned the idea of buying the N3Pro.
Will look into another DAP option with a smooth warm signature. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back