Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,281 of 2,511
So just got the N3Pro today but I'm running into some issues.

1. It won't recognize as a USB dac on either my phone or surface laptop. Using the same OTG cable that came with RU6. Tried other cables as well.

2. I having the hardest time getting the firmware to install. Currently it's on v2.1. Downloaded v2.3 on to my microSD card that is formatted in NTFS. Inserted card and it detects that microSD is inserted. But when trying to perform update, says no memory card detected. Same error with OTA.

@Andykong any ideas?

Other than that, it does sound great through Bluetooth on LDAC. UAT works but I get constant connection drops.
Regarding your issue with the firmware: Greetings SemiAudiophile, I just got mine also and I was having the same issue with the downloading of the latest version (v2.3). I noticed you have a Surface computer. I have a MacBook and I used my iPhone to download the file, then I dropped it to my Mac and then copy and pasted to the N3 which was directly connected to the Mac. Realizing you have a different computer (OS), I hope this helps hen it took, all automatic. here is a brief communique with Andy:So I took the link you sent and I was successful with my iPhone, I saved it and dropped to my Mac and hooked up the N3, and transferred it. It was a workaround to get it but it worked. I think I was having issues with the CN website on not being allowed to download or something... there you go. Thank you Andrew for all the helpful info! BTW, the sound is incredible with my HP-2'... :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2,282 of 2,511
So just got the N3Pro today but I'm running into some issues.

1. It won't recognize as a USB dac on either my phone or surface laptop. Using the same OTG cable that came with RU6. Tried other cables as well.

2. I having the hardest time getting the firmware to install. Currently it's on v2.1. Downloaded v2.3 on to my microSD card that is formatted in NTFS. Inserted card and it detects that microSD is inserted. But when trying to perform update, says no memory card detected. Same error with OTA.

@Andykong any ideas?

Other than that, it does sound great through Bluetooth on LDAC. UAT works but I get constant connection drops.

All 3 modes sound great to me. SS balanced, triode, and UL. 👍

Let me explain this a little bit.

Cayin OS support FAT32, exFAT and NTFS, but when you perform firmware update, the Cayin OS is offlined, only the MCU is working in its native mode, so only FAT32 is supported. I barely remember exFAT is supported as well, but I need to check with our Engineer about this, I didn't work with N3Pro technical support quite a while ago.

If you can find another TF card and format it into FAT32, you should be able to complete the firmware update.

Did you used the N3Pro as USB DAC successfully other then your phone and surface laptop? Have you set the USB function to DAC (from pull down menu) before connecting the N3Pro? What mobile phone are you using? under what Android OS? or iOS? I just tested my spare Android phone (Samsung A71) with N3Pro using the RU6 type-C short cable, and it works alright, the N3Pro enter DAC screen as soon as I connected it with the Android phone, before I play any tune.

IMG_20211209_153118.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #2,283 of 2,511
Let me explain this a little bit.

Cayin OS support FAT32, exFAT and NTFS, but when you perform firmware update, the Cayin OS is offlined, only the MCU is working in its native mode, so only FAT32 is supported. I barely remember exFAT is supported as well, but I need to check with our Engineer about this, I didn't work with N3Pro technical support quite a while ago.

If you can find another TF card and format it into FAT32, you should be able to complete the firmware update.

Did you used the N3Pro as USB DAC successfully other then your phone and surface laptop? Have you set the USB function to DAC (from pull down menu) before connecting the N3Pro? What mobile phone are you using? under what Android OS? or iOS?
I see...so only FAT32 is supported. Thanks for clarifying Andy.

I wasn't able to get USB DAC to connect successfully. I did check to make sure USB setting was set to DAC. Usually when I connect any USB dongle UAPP will automatically prompt for me to connect. I don't get such prompts when connecting.

I am using Pixel 5 on Android 12. My surface laptop is Windows 10.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,284 of 2,511
I see...so only FAT32 is supported. Thanks for clarifying Andy.

I wasn't able to get USB DAC to connect successfully. I did check to make sure USB setting was set to DAC. Usually when I connect any USB dongle UAPP will automatically prompt for me to connect. I don't get such prompts when connecting.

I am using Pixel 5 on Android 12. My surface laptop is Windows 10.

Depends on your phone setting, I didn't get prompt on my Samsung A71 to N3Pro or RU6, but they both play alright, but my Neutron App will kick in when I connect them to my Samsung S20. As I mentioned in previous post, the N3Pro will display the DAC screen when connected. If your N3Pro didn't display the USB DAC screen but remain in normal playback screen, that probably means it was not recognised properly. Can you please check the notification centre of your phone to confirm whether your Pixel detected the N3Pro as a storage device or as a DAC when connected?

Have you installed Cayin USB Audio Device Driver in your window laptop?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #2,285 of 2,511
Depends on your phone setting, I didn't get prompt on my Samsung A71 to N3Pro or RU6, but they both play alright, but my Neutron App will kick in when I connect them to my Samsung S20. As I mentioned in previous post, the N3Pro will display the DAC screen when connected. If your N3Pro didn't display the USB DAC screen but remain in normal playback screen, that probably means it was not recognised properly. Can you please check the notification centre of your phone to confirm whether your Pixel detected the N3Pro as a storage device or as a DAC when connected?

Have you installed Cayin USB Audio Device Driver in your window laptop?
I haven't installed the Cayin USB driver on my laptop, I'll give that a try.

I managed to get USB DAC to work on my phone using the supplied cable in the box that came with N3Pro and using USB A to USB C adapter for my phone.

Not sure why the other OTG cables didn't work but this one did. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyways, thanks for your support.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #2,286 of 2,511
So I was finally able to update the firmware to version 2.3 after using my camera's SDcard that was formatted in FAT32.

FYI: I think someone already mention this before, but the USB Y-splitter that can be bought from AliExpress and found in the E1DA PowerDAC v2.1 thread works perfectly with the N3Pro as USB DAC. Using a direct usb cable will drain your phone's battery quite rapidly. But this cable will draw power from an external power bank instead while charging your N3Pro at the same time. :thumbsup:

DSC01596.jpg

I got the OTG cable from RU6 to work today too, wasn't sure why it didn't work yesterday. Perhaps it needed a restart?

I also got UAT codec to work last night without dropping, can't really tell a difference between LDAC though. Will experiment more...

I know I'm a year late to the game and I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about the N3Pro at first but after spending some time with it, other than the slow and sometimes buggy/unresponsive GUI/OS, I love everything about it. It's basically 3 devices in 1 and sounds amazing at its price point. :)

PXL_20211210_034844204.jpg

Listening to some Pink Floyd tonight through the FD5's in UL mode and the sound is every bit how I dreamt it would be. Just GLORIOUS! Freaking love this thing. :ksc75smile:

QosUkZu.gif

Gives my old Grado + Mapletree headphone rig setup a run for it's money!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,287 of 2,511
Hey All, just checking in to see if this is still a good purchase. Have about 500 to spend and am looking to upgrade my Hiby R3Pro. I don't do streaming, all local files. Mostly Flac, but some dsd and mp3, about 12000 in total. About the only other things in this price range are the A&K SR25 and the Hiby R5Saber. The N3Pro is still kind of at the top for me, im used to the Hiby OS, I love tubes, and I have the option of more power in balanced then I do now. Are people who currently own one still happy? Any other considerations?

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,288 of 2,511
I had R5s, it sounds meh, not nice. I changed it for N3Pro for almost the same price, and I’m very happy with my decision. I don’t know about AK, but everybody says it’s overpriced.
I won’t recommend r5s ever. If you need an android player there are more options in its price range or a bit more: Sony ZX505/507 (I bought it on sale for a little more than the Cayin’s price), iBasso DX160, Fiio m11 plus ltd…

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,289 of 2,511
I got the N3P for the tubes. I rarely use it in balanced. That delicious warmth is what got me. If I want more power through balanced, I switch over to my DX160 or M5S.
For the price, it can't be beat for tubes. You could go the get external tube amp but to have it all wrapped up in one piece, it works splendidly.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #2,290 of 2,511
After extensive analysis today installing and uninstalling firmware, from V1.2 to 2.3, I've come to realize I prefer the sound under firmware 1.2 to V2.0.
They capture the "Pro" spirit of the N3 Pro best to my ears.

:L3000:

I find it to be a more reference-like DAP from bass to treble under 1.2 and 2.0.

My Settings; DSD-DoP (Default - Sounds more Natural and direct), DSD gain- +6 (Default), DSD Digital Filter - Narrow (Default - Gives more details clarity and separation), PCM Digital Filter-Short Delay Slow (for more realism, details, and natural sound decay to my ears), Replay gain off (I like what I'm hearing with it off)

2.1 and 2.3 sound more bassy with my IEMs especially OG ThieAudio Monarch and thus throwing off the balance.

Since the N3 Pro doesn't prevent older firmware install, experiment and see what you find. Results may vary depending on your IEM, Headphones

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,292 of 2,511
Hello. I’d like to know which earpones sub-200€ would you recommend for the N3Pro in SE tube mode. I’ve seen 7Hz Timeless (but I think it needs more power), Bqeyz Autumn, Moondrop Kato and Tanchjim Hana. which one do you think would have the best synergy? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,293 of 2,511
Hello. I’d like to know which earpones sub-200€ would you recommend for the N3Pro in SE tube mode. I’ve seen 7Hz Timeless (but I think it needs more power), Bqeyz Autumn, Moondrop Kato and Tanchjim Hana. which one do you think would have the best synergy? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
FDX1 with Moondrop KXXS filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back