Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #2,299 of 2,518
Anyone have any luck using the N3Pro in DAC mode for the Pixel 6 Pro? I have it working as a DAC on a PC but no luck with this phone. Not sure of this is a Android 12 issue or a Pixel 6Pro issue. Both my Google USB C to 3.5mm adapter and my Creative Super X-Fi DAC work with the phone though.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #2,300 of 2,518
Any iPhone users able to assist? I've only tried with android phones and Chromebooks, always works immediately.
Yes, we can replicate the problem after we read your case. :pray:

By the look of it, iOS wants to further limit the usage of lightning camera adaptor or camera connection kit to "camera" application? Afterall, using camera adaptor to enable USB Audio out is considered a breach to the Apple Ecosystem, we should be more thoughtful and expect iOS will protect their interest sooner or later.

A few people showed interest in my earlier post about battery management when the N3Pro is used as a USB DAC/amp - both for the DAP itself and the host device. The setup above was inspired by E1DA’s “red wire” mod, in which you use a Y-splitter to feed the PowerDAC with data from a phone and current from an external battery, and cut the charge (red) wire from the end that goes into the phone so the splitter is forced to draw power from the battery.

In spite of its undeniable Cold War spy movie chic, I wasn’t so keen on this mod, especially the part where both the current and the data transit between high-quality devices through a crappy $2 generic splitter with presumably high manufacturing tolerances and no particular concern for audio - which on top of that you’ve pried open then sealed back shut.

The device above allows the same fundamental setup but it’s a reliable little hub with an aluminum enclosure, more substantial but still small and lightweight, that doubles as an SD, MicroSD and TF card reader (cool of you dabble into photography too). The phone has to be plugged into the white USB-C cable that sticks out from the hub itself, and the battery then charges both the DAP at a reasonable rate and the phone, lightly (in my case it’s keeping the battery reading stable). This is the page on amazon.de, (it’s a German brand), I found mine on amazon FR, if you search for “kwmobile hub” you’ll find it easily.

I’m happy this way, but it doesn’t address the fact that charging can’t be switched off at all on the N3Pro. @Andykong dismissed my concern and wrote it had been discussed before, but I remember that part of the thread and it wasn’t about that exact issue. I still fail to understand why I can toggle the charging on or off on my Qudelix-5K and not on the N3Pro when both have their own battery.

I also encounter little pops and artefacts on LDAC receiver mode that I don’t understand. It doesn’t seem to be tube-related because I get them in SS mode too. Nor interference, which I get when sticking the DAP and my phone together but is otherwise well managed. Anyone else experience this? @Stuff Jones do you still get those pops in USB mode or did firmware updates take care of them?
@leohmarx:
ios does not allow using n3p as usb dac because of usb power consumption. Either you make a cable mod to consume from an external battery or you are limited to using it by bluetooth. I don’t know any other solution.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #2,301 of 2,518
I have used er3xr and er2xr with great success with n3pro in triode mode.
Is there a big difference between the two?

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #2,302 of 2,518
Is there a big difference between the two?
There is, the 3xr seems cleaner and more precise but the 2xr more organic if less detailed, i tend to swop around as the mood takes me, if i had to choose one with the n3pro i would go for the 3xr, however if i use a ss dap then i like the 2xr, worth buying both as they are inexpensive.

d

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,303 of 2,518
Anyone have any luck using the N3Pro in DAC mode for the Pixel 6 Pro? I have it working as a DAC on a PC but no luck with this phone. Not sure of this is a Android 12 issue or a Pixel 6Pro issue. Both my Google USB C to 3.5mm adapter and my Creative Super X-Fi DAC work with the phone though.

I am not familiar with Pixel mobile phones, so I can only offer some general advise on Androud phone as audio source in general, I am not sure if any of them are direclty applicable to your Pixel 6 Pro.

1. Set the USB mode to DAC in N3Pro (pull down menu from top)
  2. Check if you need to enable OTG in your mobile phone. While most mobile phone supports OTG already, some mobile phones are defaulted to off, you need to turn it on manually. The setting can be available in different locations depends on brand/models, please check System, Storage or Other under setup menu.
  3. Check if your phone has pre-selected a default USB connection method, this is available under Default USB configuration in Developer Options.
  4. Since you are in Developer Options, you might as well check the "Disable USB Audio routing" setting. Enabling this will disable automatic routing to USB audio peripherals, like a USB DAC. (so you need to disable this option)
  5. After you have done all these, you should at least recieve an alert in the notification center (drop down menu), follow the instruction if there is any.
Even you have setup everything properly, there ae still chances that your mobile phone cannot use N3Pro as USB DAC. Maybe your phone support OTG storage and charging but not OTG Audio. Maybe your phone has limited the power supply through USB-C (rare but we have seen this happened very occasionally, as stated below). That's why we didn't include Android in the system support list of N3Pro USB Audo.

1641403777799.jpeg

For the record, when the USB DAC is working properly, the N3Pro will display the USB DAC screen as below.

1641404114242.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,304 of 2,518
It tells me that the connected accessory consumes a lot of energy if I connect it with the cable
@leohmarx:
ios does not allow using n3p as usb dac because of usb power consumption. Either you make a cable mod to consume from an external battery or you are limited to using it by bluetooth. I don’t know any other solution.

Thank you @lizardos24 for quoted our previous discussion to explain this sad and unfortunate limitation after Apple updated their power management practise.

On another account, someone has proposed a DIY splitter cable for RU6 in a N3Pro discussion on Facebook HeadFi group, the splitter goes like this and I think you can use this to solve the iphone power management problem if you change the Type-C to Lightning on the phone connector (top right in the diagram).

1641404862805.png

For the recrod, the USB 3.0 cable is composed to two power conductors and 6 data conductors, Any cable makers who offer after-market USB Audio cable should be able to custom make this splitter cable.

1641405033296.png

PS. This splitter cable should work for @Willdo7474 as well if tursn out Pixel 6 Pro also limited the power output on its USB OTG support.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #2,305 of 2,518
Thanks for the suggestions @Andykong! I'm a service technician for all types of electronic equipment so I was about to start making myself a cable, when I remembered I have a USB-C dongle that has a USB-C power input as well. I plugged that in and bingo! N3Pro is now working properly as a DAC.

So, anyone using a Pixel 6 you'll need additional power if you want to utilize the N3Pro as a DAC.

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,306 of 2,518
Has there been any reports of issues with the usb c charging stem? I noticed a couple of days ago that the charger wouldnt connect. When I checked it looks like the metal is splitting apart. I have reached out to the place I bought it who are in contact with Cayin but is this a common fault? I am keen to get a replacement and stick with the little fella but not if this is well known (I have had it for 3 months).

Attachments

• 20220105_072359.jpg
    20220105_072359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #2,307 of 2,518
Has there been any reports of issues with the usb c charging stem? I noticed a couple of days ago that the charger wouldnt connect. When I checked it looks like the metal is splitting apart. I have reached out to the place I bought it who are in contact with Cayin but is this a common fault? I am keen to get a replacement and stick with the little fella but not if this is well known (I have had it for 3 months).
hasn't been a problem anyone has discussed on the forum here, from what I can recall - good luck with it mate, sounds like an unusual fault

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #2,309 of 2,518
Hey All, just checking in to see if this is still a good purchase. Have about 500 to spend and am looking to upgrade my Hiby R3Pro. I don't do streaming, all local files. Mostly Flac, but some dsd and mp3, about 12000 in total. About the only other things in this price range are the A&K SR25 and the Hiby R5Saber. The N3Pro is still kind of at the top for me, im used to the Hiby OS, I love tubes, and I have the option of more power in balanced then I do now. Are people who currently own one still happy? Any other considerations?
I know, Im a little late for the response...I had the HIBY R3Pro, then I upgraded to the HIBY R5s and I was also on the fence abut moving to the Cayin N3Pro. I made the move and haven't looked back. In my opinion, it was an upgrade unsound form the R5s. I love the sound form this baby and it keeps getting better. For the $, hard to brat for the sound, assuming that its what you are liking for as I was. Didn't need the "extra" stuff: streaming, etc. just music that sounds good, and it does. Just my 2 cent$... Enjoy.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back