Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Mar 8, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #2,341 of 2,518
It looks like some sort of weird mold under the screen has started, I thought it might be humidity, but I don't think it is, however I stand to be corrected. Has this happened under anyone else's screen? It's sat in my room, off and untouched for 1.5-2 months :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

I'm starting to lose faith in this product. While I find the sound quality is excellent (really, it's superb in this area), there are too many real world QC issues I've run into. This is my second unit---the first one had a terrible high pitched ringing when using the vacuum tube). The other issue (and this big for me) is the bluetooth. No issues wired, but I like to bring headphones my commute (walking in NYC) and bluetooth is a necessity for me. Constantly cuts in and out of my airpods and some sort of phase reverse leading to a stereo 'widening' effect. Have also tried with 2 other bluetooth headphones and same ordeal (minus the 'widening' effect).

Attachments

• IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,342 of 2,518
Just got an N3Pro, very neat DAP, but i have an issue. I'm using a 1Tb microsd card with about 25000 flac & DSD files on it, but the N3Pro seems not to index more than 20000 files, (scanning stops at 20000) while it indexes everything on my other DAPs (Fiio x7mk2, Shanling m6pro, A&K a380) , Is this a limitation of the N3Pro firmware ? If so are there any plans to fix it ? advertising the possibility to use 1Tb cards and not being able to index all the files is a big disappointment.
Another bug, when i go to "Songs" and select a song, it plays...another one.
Yes, the indexing is limited to 20000 songs. It’ a limitation from the original Hiby OS and have been discussed before. You can have more songs in the sd but you have to navigate through folders.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,343 of 2,518
It looks like some sort of weird mold under the screen has started, I thought it might be humidity, but I don't think it is, however I stand to be corrected. Has this happened under anyone else's screen? It's sat in my room, off and untouched for 1.5-2 months :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

I'm starting to lose faith in this product. While I find the sound quality is excellent (really, it's superb in this area), there are too many real world QC issues I've run into. This is my second unit---the first one had a terrible high pitched ringing when using the vacuum tube). The other issue (and this big for me) is the bluetooth. No issues wired, but I like to bring headphones my commute (walking in NYC) and bluetooth is a necessity for me. Constantly cuts in and out of my airpods and some sort of phase reverse leading to a stereo 'widening' effect. Have also tried with 2 other bluetooth headphones and same ordeal (minus the 'widening' effect).

I haven't come across mold under the screen so far, are the screen and back panel remain tight-fit to the chassis? can the player still function at this point?

This is very strange because mold will only grow with moisture. If you have access to a mobile phone repair technician, please ask him to open the back panel and check the circuit board for sign of moisture such as green oxidation or moisture marking. This is a bigger concern as moisture will kill PCB gradually.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 8, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #2,344 of 2,518
Just got an N3Pro, very neat DAP, but i have an issue. I'm using a 1Tb microsd card with about 25000 flac & DSD files on it, but the N3Pro seems not to index more than 20000 files, (scanning stops at 20000) while it indexes everything on my other DAPs (Fiio x7mk2, Shanling m6pro, A&K a380) , Is this a limitation of the N3Pro firmware ? If so are there any plans to fix it ? advertising the possibility to use 1Tb cards and not being able to index all the files is a big disappointment.
Another bug, when i go to "Songs" and select a song, it plays...another one.

N3Pro can scan upto 20,000 tracks only when you scan your SD card, if you are using 512GB or 1TB card, or if you have a lot of lossy compressed file in your library, you might exceed 20,000 tracks limit. For the record, that is the library size for music categorisation and is related to playback control such as play by album, artists and genre. There is no file number limit with Folder view, you can always access your complete music library from Folder.

The limitation was imposed because of limited CPU resources, as discussed HERE, HERE and HERE.

Can you provide more information about playback the wrong song? The title/aritist/album of the song you select and the title/artist/album of the song being played are having similar metadata? stored in the same folder? Happy everytime? frequently? only onece? ....

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,345 of 2,518
N3Pro can scan upto 20,000 tracks only when you scan your SD card, if you are using 512GB or 1TB card, or if you have a lot of lossy compressed file in your library, you might exceed 20,000 tracks limit. For the record, that is the library size for music categorisation and is related to playback control such as play by album, artists and genre. There is no file number limit with Folder view, you can always access your complete music library from Folder.

The limitation was imposed because of limited CPU resources, as discussed HERE, HERE and HERE.

Can you provide more information about playback the wrong song? The title/aritist/album of the song you select and the title/artist/album of the song being played are having similar metadata? stored in the same folder? Happy everytime? frequently? only onece? ....

So there is no plan to override this limit ? I have older DAPs with much limited CPU ressources who have no issue indexing 30000 tracks (like a Hiby R2, which holds 25000 tracks now, HibyOS too i guess). I wish i had read about it here before purchasing it as i never use folder browsing, i always shuffle my library. I fell in love with the sound of this DAP but i have to seriously consider sending it back now.

The "wrong track" thing is totally random. It will play any song from any folder with any metadata and i haven't identified any pattern yet. But i guess it may be related to the index limit ? the card i'm using holds around 25000 files.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,347 of 2,518
I haven't come across mold under the screen so far, are the screen and back panel remain tight-fit to the chassis? can the player still function at this point?

This is very strange because mold will only grow with moisture. If you have access to a mobile phone repair technician, please ask him to open the back panel and check the circuit board for sign of moisture such as green oxidation or moisture marking. This is a bigger concern as moisture will kill PCB gradually.

Is this something covered by warranty? I would much rather send it in as a repair technician is likely going to charge me to open this up. Other than that the player functions but I am unsure I want to be using it until this gets sorted.

Also just an update, since I have come back from a work trip and a little over a week since posting there seems to be more of this too so now I'm starting to get more concerned as well.. It has been off the entire time btw.

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,348 of 2,518
Hi guys. There's a question about the player's battery. While listening to music, everything is fine and meets the stated specifications - in normal mode without lamps 10 percent enough on average for 1.5 hours. The question is the self-discharge when the player is off. Sometimes it can go down by 1 percent for 1-2 days when turned off. Sometimes 6-7 percent in 1-2 days. Note that the player is turned off, not in standby mode)) reset to factory settings, firmware 2.0. Who had such a problem?

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #2,350 of 2,518
Can I use a headphone amplifier like the FiiO A5 on Tube mode for over ear headphones or would that be a bad idea?
You can give it a try, it won't damage your amplifier. Technically this is not a good idea. Tube output is phone out, not line out, you'll double amp when you do that, and tube phone out has higher distortion when compare to solid state phone out, make it not ideal for double amping.

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,351 of 2,518
Just wanted to say what a great pairing the N3P is with the Campfire Honeydew. I'm a sucker to that warmth and tube sound sound. Just a great time on this Friday night.
1648261634066.png

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #2,353 of 2,518
I wonder if there is anyway that i can play (randomly) all the tracks/albums of a given artist i.e. i select billie holiday and play all the available tracks in random sequence - i know i can do it album by album but i want to play all the albums together.

d

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,355 of 2,518
Is anyone else having issues with it not accepting aac from iPhone 13 or is there something I am missing? Using the 2.3 firmware and latest iOS.

If you initialise the Bluetooth connection from iphone to N3Pro, the connection is in AAC. If you connect the other way round, iphone will only authorize SBC connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back