Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #5,971 of 6,262
yes, but there are people who say that if the digital transport changes "DAP" changes the sound of the mojo.
A true, high quality DAP "transport" doesn't do a thing, other than move a copy of the digital audio information from one media (storage) to another (wire). It's up to the receiving end to interpret the data and produce analog tones from it.

Think of it as a sheet of music. It doesn't matter how it's written - whether on cheap copier paper, 400 year old papyrus, or digitally in Silbelius: the score is still the same. It could be in blue ink, red crayon, or screen pixels. That's your DAP/transport.

Now, once that score gets to a symphony, it's up to each musician, conductor, and/or arranger to interpret that score and play it accordingly. Some may up tempo, some may prefer digital instruments, others might MIDI it to death (think Musak). It's still the same score, but even the same person playing multiple times could make subtle variations.

Now if the transport was not "pure", it would modify the digital stream before it reached the other side. This would make it not suitable for the purpose. Imagine if the person creating the sheet music decided to push everything up an octave just because they thought it'd sound better! Somebody who'd never heard the original played may not notice anything amiss. But, the original composer would instantly notice that something happened between their original composition and the symphony playing it.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #5,974 of 6,262
The best part about the N3 is that if you wanted to travel light, you could just take it and a cheap pair of headphones with little worry...and it'd still sound great!

...and the included silicone case protects it well.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #5,977 of 6,262
Hi; does anybody know if connecting a Fiio A3 amplifier to the N3 would be of any benefit to the sound?

I think it would, just by size it is a bigger amp than the one in the N3, which has a good DAC. Are you planning on buying one? or do you have one already? If you are going to buy one I would say the difference wouldn't be big, better to save that money for a better amp later?

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #5,978 of 6,262
Recently I started hearing an audible pop between tracks. I think it is at the end of the track. If the N3 is in gapless mode and playing in straight order, it doesn't occur. If it is in gapless, and shuffle mode, it pops. If gapless is off, it always occurs. All tracks are 16/44.1 flac and there are no SBE errors. I was running FW v3.0 and updated it to 3.1 with the same result. I tried a manual reset and updating the library too. Has anyone else experienced this or is this normal operation?

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #5,980 of 6,262
Hi; does anybody know if connecting a Fiio A3 amplifier to the N3 would be of any benefit to the sound?

That is what I use. Sounds great.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #5,981 of 6,262
I think it would, just by size it is a bigger amp than the one in the N3, which has a good DAC. Are you planning on buying one? or do you have one already? If you are going to buy one I would say the difference wouldn't be big, better to save that money for a better amp later?
Yes, I planned to get one but not sure if it's worth it if, as you say, the difference is not huge. Groucho said it sounds better but didn't provide more details.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #5,982 of 6,262
Yes, I planned to get one but not sure if it's worth it if, as you say, the difference is not huge. Groucho said it sounds better but didn't provide more details.

It would depend on how power hungry your headphones are. Do you have high impedance headphones or buds? IEMs are normally all lower impedance.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #5,984 of 6,262
It would depend on how power hungry your headphones are. Do you have high impedance headphones or buds? IEMs are normally all lower impedance.
Most of them lower impedance: 14-25 Ohm for the IEMs, as I use the N3 when I am outside (or in bed :wink: )
But actually, the IMEs, even though of lower impedance, may sound better when drive by a powerful amp. I love the sound of my IMEs when driven by my desktop unit, but I cannot get the same powerful sound with a portable unit and I am wondering if the A3 could provide that additional power or if it is still not powerful enough and only another amp like the mojo could do the trick (but the price is significantly higher, not worth it for me).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #5,985 of 6,262
Most of them lower impedance: 14-25 Ohm for the IEMs, as I use the N3 when I am outside (or in bed :wink: )
But actually, the IMEs, even though of lower impedance, may sound better when drive by a powerful amp. I love the sound of my IMEs when driven by my desktop unit, but I cannot get the same powerful sound with a portable unit and I am wondering if the A3 could provide that additional power or if it is still not powerful enough and only another amp like the mojo could do the trick (but the price is significantly higher, not worth it for me).

Just get it and see:) That is the only way you will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back